WIN 10 GWX Removal - Stop WIN10 installing

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

WIN 10 GWX Removal - Stop WIN10 installing

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Disable Windows 10 Install Tool
I have recently come across a Win10 GWX Control Panel tool.
Took me less than 5 min from download to running.

It comes from "The Ultimate Outsider" -
YouTube channel "Barnacules Nerdgasm" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXTWCqTRIag

Download page Here - http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
User Guide Here - http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Ultimate-Outsider-Music-Production-Tips-427451450797406/

Have installed on all my PC's running Win 7 - seamless and easy.

Did an edit to link to the UTube video explaining about GWX removal (17 minute video, but worth watching)
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: WIN 10 GWX Removal - Stop WIN10 installing

Post by Bsuds »

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Hi Bsuds - That is all well and good, but industry is still running some 16 bit programs and I have a few customers that have machine control that goes back to DOS.
And NO - a lot of this equipment control, cannot be changed over to new platforms without hundreds of thousands of $$ in parts and downtime and training.

Not everyone is using PC's for gaming and cruising the net looking a pictures of Lamas and goats.
A lot of people actually make a living with them doing mundane tasks like - real work.

If your ready and want to change to WIN10 - that is fine, but those that are not ready, do not need to be forced into something that is going to cost huge $$ in the long run.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I really did know what you were getting at and really just threw that in there for those individuals who are "scared" to take the leap and don't have a clue what they are whining about.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... ver10.html

I have not tried it yet but will soon and will report back. Some of my favorite quotes from the article, bold is my doing.

"Many Windows 7 and 8.1 users have no interest in Windows 10. But, Microsoft is determined to spread their latest OS far and wide. Resistance, however, is not futile. There are a number of ways to inoculate Windows 7 and 8.1 from being infected with Windows 10."

"In an earlier turn to the dark side, Microsoft has been surreptitiously downloading Windows 10 to computers running Windows 7 or 8 for a long time. The downloaded bits can be up to 6 gigabytes."

"The reason why GWX Control Panel is so complicated, is that its fighting an octopus. Microsoft's system for assimilating Windows 7 and 8.1 machines into the Windows 10 collective is complicated. .....Never10 does not engage the octopus in hand to hand combat. It just sets two registry keys that Microsoft created to control the octopus."

"Anyone wanting to totally remove the proverbial octopus should opt for Josh Mayfield's GWX Control Panel, but, with the realization that Microsoft creates new tentacles all the time and the program has to be constantly revised to combat this.
Personally, I prefer Never10, especially on Windows machines that have yet to be infected with the octopus."
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Hi JagXKR:

Never10 also looks like a great option - fast and simple.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Thanks for the info.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Lol. Just take the upgrade already. Yeesh. It's a good OS you dinosaurs and overall application compatibility between Win7 and Win10 is very good. It's nothing like the issues encountered when going from XP to Win7 for example.

NotNorthAnymore: For the sake of your customers, I'm going to suggest that you do some additional research on Win10 and 16bit application support. Windows 10 DOES support 16bit applications, but there are some specific requirements such as installing the 32bit version of Win10 (And before you start - this is no different than with Win7).
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

TylerM4 wrote:Lol. Just take the upgrade already. Yeesh. It's a good OS you dinosaurs and overall application compatibility between Win7 and Win10 is very good. It's nothing like the issues encountered when going from XP to Win7 for example.

NotNorthAnymore: For the sake of your customers, I'm going to suggest that you do some additional research on Win10 and 16bit application support. Windows 10 DOES support 16bit applications, but there are some specific requirements such as installing the 32bit version of Win10 (And before you start - this is no different than with Win7).

Tyler: Just because you like it does not mean it is for everyone.
I have no desire for Win10 neither do a lot of others.
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-167428-907-.htm#167428

My 80 year old mother does not need to learn a new operating system in order to get her emails and do her stories.
She has 7 and is comfortable.

Until it is 100% proven and working for at least a couple of years - Industry will stay with XP or 7.
In Industry - if it's not broke you don't throw something new on just because....
If the bottom line is affected you can be sure people will lose their jobs. :-X

Is that something you personally want to take a chance on with an unproven system?? :200:

Thought not.....
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:
Tyler: Just because you like it does not mean it is for everyone.
I have no desire for Win10 neither do a lot of others.
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-167428-907-.htm#167428

My 80 year old mother does not need to learn a new operating system in order to get her emails and do her stories.
She has 7 and is comfortable.

Until it is 100% proven and working for at least a couple of years - Industry will stay with XP or 7.
In Industry - if it's not broke you don't throw something new on just because....
If the bottom line is affected you can be sure people will lose their jobs. :-X

Is that something you personally want to take a chance on with an unproven system?? :200:

Thought not.....

Well. I'm happy to say that you thought wrong. In fact, I'm taking that risk to the tune of millions of dollars invested over the next few years to facilitate transition to Win10. What I like or what you like doesn't matter 1 fricken bit. You need to understand that you don't have a choice, you will move to a new OS and it will be Win10 unless you ditch Microsoft completely. The only thing you have control over is WHEN. My recommendation is to stop spending time fighting the inevitable and instead focus on how you can make it happen. Hopefully smoothly.

Win10 has been out (general release) for nearly a year now, and was mostly just a UI change from Win 8. Unknown? Only if you put your head in the sand, refuse upgrades, and simply sit on your thumbs. There are a lot of companies out there right now with HUGE winXP problems due to the mindset you exhibit above. Windows XP extended support costs were $600 per computer per year last time I looked. Money that these companies are essentially wasting because they drug their feet just like you're telling people they should do. What you need to realize as a service provider is that it doesn't matter 1 bit if you feel XP is good enough or not, Microsoft is pulling support and you WILL BE FORCED to adopt or live with the consequences. You don't have a choice. So embrace it, do your testing and your due diligence and move to the new OS. Dragging your feet only harms your company and your customers. "Oh I'm being careful" - BS you're being lazy. Do your testing, do your evaluations, start off with a pilot facility/customer. That's being careful.

You'll know if it's a bad OS within weeks of it being released to he public. Earlier if you actually ask the questions and become involved in many of the early adopter programs that Microsoft has available. It was general knowledge that vista was crap within weeks of it being released to the masses. Same with winME. Win10 tho has received the exact opposite reaction if you haven't been paying attention. Even Win8 was fine from a technical and stability perspective, it's just that people really didn't like the UI changes.

Unless your gramma is planning to die in the next few years, she's going to have to learn anyway. Smart industry gets ahead of the technology - it doesn't wait until the last moment to upgrade in a panic. Just ask cab companies about uber or ask the Province of British Columbia how much extra the government is paying Microsoft because they still haven't moved from XP. It's been a few months, but when I saw the last article - cost was anticipated in the low 7 digits! What a waste!

Your comments about industry baffle me as they're very 1 dimensional and reek of someone who has very little actual experience doing lifecycle management. Are you actually involved in any of this stuff? For example: Have you considered the needs of your customer when it comes to buying a new PC? You do know it's already getting difficult to find a new PC that you can buy with Win7 right? You know that Microsoft no longer provides windows 7 OEM licenses right? You know that vendors have already stopped writing Win7 drivers for new PCs? You are aware of Microsoft's recent announcement around Win7 and chipset support right? Do you understand what this means for your industry and your customers? It doesn't sound like it.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Hi Tyler:

Quite the rant there!

I don't appreciate your negative remarks about the older generation.
My mother is happy with her PC and how it works so there is no need for her to change.
The same with the rest of the older generation.
They are happy with what they have in hand and do not need to change the OS.

Unless I decide to purchase a new PC there is no need at this point to change my OS.
The same with others. - They are happy - comfortable and it works the way they want it to.

Heavy industry is in no hurry to take on an unproven system.
(Sawmills - Pulpmills - Breweries - Power generation - Oil and gas)
They are doing machine control programming - not something to be taken lightly.

They will let people like you take the risks and prove that it works first.

NNA
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I've had zero issues with Windows 10. We're still running Windows 7 at work and at home I went from XP to a new machine with 8.1 and so I was VERY happy to install 10 as soon as it was available, I'll tell you.

At work I do some machine programming so I'll let you know how the transition goes when we move to 10.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Hi Tyler:

Quite the rant there!

I don't appreciate your negative remarks about the older generation.
My mother is happy with her PC and how it works so there is no need for her to change.
The same with the rest of the older generation.
They are happy with what they have in hand and do not need to change the OS.

Unless I decide to purchase a new PC there is no need at this point to change my OS.
The same with others. - They are happy - comfortable and it works the way they want it to.

Heavy industry is in no hurry to take on an unproven system.
(Sawmills - Pulpmills - Breweries - Power generation - Oil and gas)
They are doing machine control programming - not something to be taken lightly.

They will let people like you take the risks and prove that it works first.

NNA

My comments about the older generation? Huh? Comfortable or not, at some point you must change. Why spend time learning how to hack the OS to prevent the update when you're going to have to learn how to use the new update anyway?

Heavy Industry is all about money like anyone else. NOBODY changes faster than they have to, but they all change and money drives that. That's the whole point - Heavy Industry needs to start adopting Win10 NOW if they want to avoid extended support costs later. When you skip an OS you don't get the luxury of waiting years to migrate and your hand is often forced due to new hardware and product lifecycle.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Tyler:

Not everyone has the millions that you claim to have, to invest in the newest, lastest, greatest, bright and shiny.

Majority of the population has to budget for a long time to afford PC's and learning them is a long and involved process.

We will just have to agree to disagree as this will go around in circles for a long time.

For a lot of us - and for many industries we will wait and see.

NNA
neroas
Fledgling

Post by neroas »

Lot of Win 10 shills on here, generally. Come to the dark side. :hailjo:
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Tyler:

Not everyone has the millions that you claim to have, to invest in the newest, lastest, greatest, bright and shiny.

Majority of the population has to budget for a long time to afford PC's and learning them is a long and involved process.

We will just have to agree to disagree as this will go around in circles for a long time.

For a lot of us - and for many industries we will wait and see.

NNA

You still don't get it and I'm running out of ways to try and present it differently so you can understand. My company is only going to spend millions because they HAVE to. Not because we want to, not because we want to have the newest gadgets and features. Hence all of my talk about industry moving now, and everyone being influenced by cost/money. It's CHEAPER TO START UPGRADING NOW. This is cost avoidance, not some luxury spending. It's also the reason why I called BS on your statements about industry as I know every large organization is running the same numbers I am and coming to the same conclusion.

My team and I spent weeks analyzing, looking at migration plans, putting the business case together, and running the numbers. 1 million if we start this year, 1.5 million if we start next year, 2.5million following year, etc. That is the reality of the situation. Why you seem to think this is some sort of a luxury or me/myself being a Win10 keener I just don't understand.

To me this is the same analogy as someone who ignores a problem/maintenance on their vehicle until the part fails completely and they're left stranded on the side of the road. Work that needed to be done anyway, but now it costs twice as much to repair. You're going to have to use win10 at some point. Right now it's free to upgrade but not for much longer. Win10 has been proven as a solid OS. It's a no brainer!

Perhaps I should take a step back. You do understand why we must move from the Win7 OS right? Would it help if I clarified what is motivating industry to adopt a newer OS? Do you understand why we don't really have a choice?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”