Buying a laptop

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Buying a laptop

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

It shouldn't go into sleep mode if you were using it. Well hopefully the changes in your power settings address it.

On a side note, don't place a laptop on a soft surface such as bedspread or carpet which can block ventilation.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Most laptops are fine on a soft surface (OK, maybe not buried in 3" of soft fuzzy blankets), just understand how your particular laptop is vented/cooled. The laptops that had big problems with this were vented and cooled from the bottom. Almost everyone now vents to the side. Also, most modern laptops now underclock the processor when heat gets too high rather than burning up.

In the past I've found sleep or hibernate modes caused a lot of issues and would always disable. With Win7 and newer OS, I found it to be much more stable and have since gone back to using it.

Tho Win7+ with a SSD boots so quickly you don't really need to use the feature anyway.
flyderaght

Post by flyderaght »

The acer Gteways are a decent series.

I am a techie so here is my view:

The average home user only needs the following: 1-2 terabyte hard drive. Many laptops are comming with solid state drives which will replace the standard HD.
Processor: If it has a I5 or better intel processor that is great. Laptops with a intel processor will be more costly.
AMD 8-10 processors are comperable, and are cheaper.
Memory A good laptop should have 8GB of memory. That will allow you to watch a movie etc without any problem and will make the laptop nice and quick. It will also allow you play most games without any issue.

Dell,HP,acer all make decent products. It really come down to budget. Intel is pricier, but a good product. It will have Windows 10 so ensure once you remove the bloatware you get a 16GB or 32GB USB and make a copy of your system jsut in case you need to wipe you system. Google it as it is easy to do.

Marc

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”