Buying a laptop

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Buying a laptop

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:such as Windows Update downloading updates to your computer and then making them available to others via your computer. That one should definitely be turned off.

36Drew wrote:Actually, this one isn't as dumb as it sounds. If there are other PCs/laptops in the house all running Win10, this option will save on bandwidth. When you connect to networks, however, you need to be cognizant of selecting "public" or "private" networks. Home should be "private". Coffee shops should be "public". The default "public" network options will not (or should not) permit access to local file/printer/network settings - including the sharing of downloaded updates.

I have six Win10 devices in my household - the above does drastically save on bandwidth. YMMV.

I don't dispute that at all. I have multiple computers on a home network as well, but many people do not.

It's been a while since I configured my network but I seem to recall the default setting was for Windows 10 to allow for distributing Update downloads to private and public networks, hence my annoyance with that setting.

Your understanding of it is also a bit incorrect as it will distribute to the internet.

Here's the exact wording taken from the setting - "When this is turned on, your PC may also send parts of previously downloaded updates and apps to PC's on your local network, or PC's on the internet, depending on what's selected below."

Basically default setting then leaves your computer in server mode for Windows Updates, and uses your bandwidth to do so.

For many average home users it also wasn't the easiest of settings to find and alter since they stashed it a couple layers deep.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I don't dispute that at all. I have multiple computers on a home network as well, but many people do not.

It's been a while since I configured my network but I seem to recall the default setting was for Windows 10 to allow for distributing Update downloads to private and public networks, hence my annoyance with that setting.

Your understanding of it is also a bit incorrect as it will distribute to the internet.

Here's the exact wording taken from the setting - "When this is turned on, your PC may also send parts of previously downloaded updates and apps to PC's on your local network, or PC's on the internet, depending on what's selected below."

Basically default setting then leaves your computer in server mode for Windows Updates, and uses your bandwidth to do so.

For many average home users it also wasn't the easiest of settings to find and alter since they stashed it a couple layers deep.

I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:I don't dispute that at all. I have multiple computers on a home network as well, but many people do not.

I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

So you've twice posted what I already quoted from the settings, so what's your point?

Mine was that the default setting I had before changing it, was the second option of private network and internet, which I advise people to change to the first option.

Part of your previous post is what I suggested is incorrect...
36Drew wrote: The default "public" network options will not (or should not) permit access to local file/printer/network settings - including the sharing of downloaded updates.

Your downloaded updates will be shared on the internet if setting is left on second option.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

JLives wrote:I just found one. http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx?la ... lang=en-CA I got it for $1200 even and they threw the warranty in for free. Thanks for all of your help.

Nice choice.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
cliffdiving
Fledgling

Post by cliffdiving »

I hope your warranty is really good...
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

cliffdiving wrote:I hope your warranty is really good...

Odds are pretty high that she won't have to find out.

Generally when there's an issue with an electronic item it manifests itself pretty quickly, and DELL has good support when something does happen.

My son happened to end up with a faulty hard drive on a Dell desktop right out of the box. I called support, spoke with a tech for maybe five minutes maximum, and had a new hard drive in my hand in under 48hrs, along with prepaid shipping labels, shipped from out east.

Care to share which manufacturer has better service?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
I'm not sure how computer savvy you are, but if you wish to make that thing run even better there's this tool that can come in handy to get rid of unnecessary bloatware. https://www.pcdecrapifier.com/download

There's a guide here on how to use it... http://www.guidingtech.com/1416/clean-u ... crapifier/

Finally if there's any sign of McAfee software on there, I'd get rid of it. Windows 10 has anti virus built into it but some manufacturers still like to bait people by offering other stuff.

ETA: I forgot to also mention that you should make yourself familiar with all the various Win10 settings and tweak them to your liking. By default it has some stupid ones, such as Windows Update downloading updates to your computer and then making them available to others via your computer. That one should definitely be turned off.

I'm more comfortable with learning new software than networking and hardware issues. I just want everything to work like it's supposed to and lose patience quickly when it doesn't. There doesn't seem to be too much for bloatware on it, it came bare bones. It does have McAfee, do I just remove all "apps" with McAfee in the name? Does Windows 10 then take over or do I need to enable it somehow? I did find the Windows update setting and changed it. We do have unlimited bandwidth on our plan but you never know when that will change and it's good to know. I bought the Adobe Creative Cloud package and have been having fun learning Lightroom and Photoshop, thank goodness for Youtube!
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
cliffdiving
Fledgling

Post by cliffdiving »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Odds are pretty high that she won't have to find out.

Generally when there's an issue with an electronic item it manifests itself pretty quickly, and DELL has good support when something does happen.

My son happened to end up with a faulty hard drive on a Dell desktop right out of the box. I called support, spoke with a tech for maybe five minutes maximum, and had a new hard drive in my hand in under 48hrs, along with prepaid shipping labels, shipped from out east.

Care to share which manufacturer has better service?

Did I mention anything about service? Wow! Odds are actually pretty high that she will find out. Read the specs on it. I'm happy that your happy she bought a DELL...parts fail and all I'm saying is "I HOPE SHE HAS A REALLY GOOD WARRANTY"!!!
Dealing with Best Buy is a hassle at best...
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

JLives wrote:It does have McAfee, do I just remove all "apps" with McAfee in the name? Does Windows 10 then take over or do I need to enable it somehow? I did find the Windows update setting and changed it. We do have unlimited bandwidth on our plan but you never know when that will change and it's good to know. I bought the Adobe Creative Cloud package and have been having fun learning Lightroom and Photoshop, thank goodness for Youtube!

McAfee is a pain to remove and tends to leave a lot of crap behind if done by normal methods such as the Programs and Features applet.

The best way to get rid of it is to use the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool which you can download here... http://www.thewindowsclub.com/uninstall ... ty-windows
In the linked page click on the McAfee site link located in the first line below the heading McAfee Consume Products Removal Tool to download the tool, save it to your computer and run it.

After it's done and everything is gone, right click start, go to "Control Panel" then in the top right change view to "icons" and look for the "Windows Defender" icon and click it. If it is green you are good to go, if not you may have to turn it on by putting a check mark in "real time protection".

In case you are wondering why I advocate getting rid of McAfee it's because many of us consider it practically a virus as it slows down computers, plus it is packaged with computers such as yours as "trialware" meaning after 30 days or so it will nag you to purchase a license which you do not need since Windows Defender is part of Windows 10 anyway and is actually a better product, but as long as McAfee is on your computer it will not run.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

cliffdiving wrote:Did I mention anything about service? Wow! Odds are actually pretty high that she will find out. Read the specs on it. I'm happy that your happy she bought a DELL...parts fail and all I'm saying is "I HOPE SHE HAS A REALLY GOOD WARRANTY"!!!
Dealing with Best Buy is a hassle at best...

Did you mention service? No, but you as much as said that she should expect issues because it's a Dell, and I happen to disagree with you on that quite strongly. You read the specs so now you're clairvoyant and know she's going to have problems. Well done!

Did you happen to catch the earlier part where JLives shared that shes had Dell before and no problems at all?

I purchased an Inspiron 8 yrs ago and it's still running strong, but maybe I'd best rush out and get some good warranty for it. LOL

Dealing with Best Buy can be a hassle regardless of what laptop brand was selected, so I guess it's a good thing Dell has decent support. :raspberry:
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Thanks, I will get rid of it. I have always found it to really bog down a system. Is the Windows anti virus good ? I have heard both Norton Internet Security or Kaspersky are the best depending on whom I'm talking to.

Lightroom is a pretty awesome program so far. But now I have the dauntless task of going through and reorganizing thousands of photos.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

JLives wrote:Thanks, I will get rid of it. I have always found it to really bog down a system. Is the Windows anti virus good ? I have heard both Norton Internet Security or Kaspersky are the best depending on whom I'm talking to.

Lightroom is a pretty awesome program so far. But now I have the dauntless task of going through and reorganizing thousands of photos.

Windows Defender ranks very high amongst the many anti virus offerings so yes it is good, it's free, and it's built into windows with far less of a footprint than McAfee has, or Norton for that matter.

If you wanted to purchase something that rates higher then I'd look at Kaspersky long before ever considering Norton.

I can only speak for myself, that said, I only use Windows Defender along with good computing habits and I've never had an issue.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I use REVO uninstaller for removing programs. It seems to work well and have never had a problem uninstalling anything with it.
Ccleaner will do it too.
Windows Defender is rated very highly and won't slow your computer down.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:I use REVO uninstaller for removing programs. It seems to work well and have never had a problem uninstalling anything with it.
Ccleaner will do it too.
Windows Defender is rated very highly and won't slow your computer down.

Revo Uninstaller and CCleaner are great tools which I have and use, but McAfee really is best gotten rid of using their own uninstaller. It has to be gotten rid of cleanly and completely or Windows Defender will not work. It really is a nasty piece of software.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”