Last day for free Win10 upgrade

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Last day for free Win10 upgrade

Post by TylerM4 »

If you have a legal copy of Win7 or newer, today is the last day that you can get a free upgrade to Win10 from Microsoft.

Starting tomorrow - it'll cost you $130 to upgrade.

Last chance folks - least people will stop complaining about the automatic upgrades.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Last day for free Win10 upgrade

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

It is about time that this bull is over.
Sick and tired of having to hear about how "good" win10 is.
And really sick of having MS and others trying to force it down my throat.

Not something I want or need and the only way I would get it is on a new machine if I ever get one.

Good riddance to the "free" win10 downgrade - IMO
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Good riddance to the "free" win10 downgrade - IMO

Hate to burst your bubble, but Windows 10 has been the most stable operating system I've ever had on a computer, including Windows XP, which was fair enough in its day.

I'm no Microsoft fanboy, but I will give credit where it's due.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Thank LW for sending MS all your data to make the system better. You and all other WX users are sending "telemetry" to MS everyday. Lots of it. Of course none of it is sensitive material because MS says so. They would not lie or trick you.
Again though, thank you for making this system better. Maybe in a year or 2 I will get rid of the W7 that is MY most stable OS I have ever used. No problems with it as it was a clean install from a bought copy from MS. No bloatware from Dell, Hp etc...

BTW I have deleted many "updates" that W7 says were "important" due to MS trying the "telemetry" BS with W7 users. Keeps the system running just hunky-dory.
Also I would be surprised if MS did NOT extend the offer or make another offer for people to migrate. I would be very shocked, actually, if they stuck to this deadline. Expect something new in the coming weeks.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

My feelings exactly JagXKR :up: :130:
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

JagXKR wrote:Thank LW for sending MS all your data to make the system better. You and all other WX users are sending "telemetry" to MS everyday. Lots of it. Of course none of it is sensitive material because MS says so. They would not lie or trick you.
Again though, thank you for making this system better. Maybe in a year or 2 I will get rid of the W7 that is MY most stable OS I have ever used. No problems with it as it was a clean install from a bought copy from MS. No bloatware from Dell, Hp etc...

BTW I have deleted many "updates" that W7 says were "important" due to MS trying the "telemetry" BS with W7 users. Keeps the system running just hunky-dory.
Also I would be surprised if MS did NOT extend the offer or make another offer for people to migrate. I would be very shocked, actually, if they stuck to this deadline. Expect something new in the coming weeks.

If you think you have any privacy in this day and age, and you're maintaining it by clinging to Win7, then you're doing nothing more than fooling yourself. Enjoy your illusion. [icon_lol2.gif]
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Too late now anyway and if that's the way some feel then move this thread into conspiracies.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

What I did:

• create a backup image of my entire C drive (Macrium Reflect is free & awesome for this)
  • do the Win 10 "upgrade"
  • confirm Win 10 is activated/genuine (settings > update/security > activation)
  • restore the C drive disc image

Now if I ever decide to go with Win 10, I've got a legit "key" & don't have to pay. All on a pirated copy of Win 7, too. lol :biggrin:
Your bias suits you.
Tannah
Board Meister

Post by Tannah »

So finally the end of the nag screens.. At-least I hope.
I'm glad Microsoft is facing 2 class action lawsuits so far over this. Microsoft already lost 1 lawsuit over there malware like forced upgrading tactics.
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/23 ... -practices
Then there's The Windows anniversary update that resets all your privacy setting, and makes it difficult to disable Cortana for most users. http://www.pcworld.com/article/3100358/ ... pdate.html

Microsoft responds to allegations that Windows 10 collects 'excessive personal data'
http://betanews.com/2016/07/21/microsoft-response-cnil/

Also a good read on Microsoft business tactics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents

The only down side to this is I will not be making as much money, due to the forced windows 10 updates. Probably less botched upgrades to windows 10 too.
If I say something that is absurdly stupid or annoying. It's Sarcasm!
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

First of all Privacy is out the window if you are on the internet at all. Even if you have a masked VPN thing...you are still tracked.

Second you do not own your Operating system your just renting it. Windows Apple or Linux. Anytime you update the changes made is up to them not you. Yes you dont have to take those updates but eventually you will have to as some things wont work anymore.

and Apple is even worse their updates are tied to they Hardware and there has been instances that their updates make their hardware obsolete. At least with Windows you can still put XP on new machines if your REALLY wanted as a stand alone computer.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

"masked VPN thing" [icon_lol2.gif] Sorry, I just find it funny when people get all technical.
Your bias suits you.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Sorry my phone was doing some strange things on that last post. possibly being tracked by the government.

Another reason why Computers are more superior.

Anyways like I said.....If you do not want to be tracked....do not use technology that has any communication abilities.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Symbonite wrote:Sorry my phone was doing some strange things on that last post. possibly being tracked by the government.

Another reason why Computers are more superior.

Anyways like I said.....If you do not want to be tracked....do not use technology that has any communication abilities.

Exactly, and that includes Google Maps. I'm always amazed at how some don't realize they have to be sending out information, in order for their GPS unit to display a map showing their position and route.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Eh, it's possible to remain "private", but 99% of people wouldn't want to do it. At any rate, it's a defeatist viewpoint so I don't get some folk's high horse attitude there - plus it isn't even the main point.
Your bias suits you.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Google is the absolute worst for gathering your data.

Anyone who is avoiding Win10 for privacy concerns better not be using any google products. Maps, google search, gmail, etc. Have you ever stopped to wonder why google offers these services for free?

Long story short google is 10x worse than Microsoft for gathering your data. You'd be absolutely crazy to avoid using Win10 for privacy reasons, but then go ahead and do google searches, use google maps, etc. Yet somehow - I suspect that the majority of people citing win10 privacy concerns on this thread regularly use google products. At least Microsoft allows you to turn off telemetry which stops the sending of most data.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”