Perseid meteor shower set to be extra-spectacular this year

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Perseid meteor shower set to be extra-spectacular this year

Post by oneh2obabe »

The summer's best shooting star show is expected be even more spectacular this year, thanks to an unusual "outburst" that only happens about once a decade.

Astronomers predict the Perseid meteor shower, which peaks on the night of Aug. 11-12, will produce about double the number of meteors as it normally does.

Meteor shower calendar
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/meteo ... -1.1311681

Meteors and night skies: Photography tips and tricks
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/night ... -1.2652072

The Perseids happen each August as Earth passes through the stream of dust and debris left by the comet Swift-Tuttle. As those particles or meteoroids smash into the Earth's atmosphere and burn up, they produce bright streaks across the sky that we see as meteors or shooting stars.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/perse ... -1.3699395
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Re: Perseid meteor shower set to be extra-spectacular this y

Post by bazinga42 »

Thanks for posting.

I've never been much of a star gazer, but I went up the Connector a bit a few years ago for the Perseids and I gotta say... it was amazing. I think I'll check it out again. Thanks for the reminder.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Every one in a while, one leaves a smoke trail.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
SmartieParts

Post by SmartieParts »

Jlabute wrote:Every one in a while, one leaves a smoke trail.

I wonder if that's what I saw last time. We saw a line that looked like the meteorite "scarred" the sky. It stayed visible for maybe half a minute. At first I thought it was just a line "burned" in my eye (you know, like how when you look at a bright light and then look away and you still see it) but when I said, "anyone else seeing that" everyone else laughed and said they figured it was just them seeing it.

It was quite bright though... so if a smoke trail what are we seeing? Moonlight reflecting on it?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Hmm, well if it did burn an image in your retina, you'd think you would see it everywhere else you look.

I saw a meteor in an apparent slow decline towards the horizon as it must had been coming in on an angle that would be more towards me. Near the end, it lit up as bright as a street light and lasted quite a while 15 seconds or so (guessing) as it went through a lot of atmosphere. After it burned out, I could see smoke in the sky.

So moon-light, or from city lights. I think you probably saw something there.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

The heavens will be bursting with shooting stars this week.

Thursday night into early Friday, the annual Perseid meteor shower is expected to peak with double the normal number of meteors. Scientists call this an outburst, and they say it could reach up to 200 meteors per hour.

Prime viewing should be in the pre-dawn hours of Friday, after the moon sets.

The last Perseids outburst was in 2009. Thanks to a gravity nudge from Jupiter, debris from comet Swift-Tuttle could stray closer to Earth again. These scattered specks of dust — a trail in the comet’s wake — are what flash as they enter the atmosphere at a mind-blowing 132,000 mph and burn up.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016 ... -hour.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Can't wait to go camping this weekend! The meteor shower is going to be awesome and make camping even better, if that is even possible.
hail Satan y'all
Tannah
Board Meister

Post by Tannah »

From what I've read the peek will be on the night of Aug. 11 and 12, The best viewing times are between 3 a.m. and dawn local time.
Look early and look often.

Give your eyes time to adjust to the dark. NASA recommends starting about 45 minutes early.

While the best viewing is in the dark hours before dawn, the Perseids produce lots of "fireballs" or bright meteors that are visible even when it isn't totally dark. Peter Brown, a professor with the Meteor Physics Group at Western University in London, Ont., says that around 10 p.m., shortly after sunset, brighter meteors will be visible as spectacular "grazing" meteors that travel across much of the sky and can last for many seconds.
If I say something that is absurdly stupid or annoying. It's Sarcasm!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”