Billion-year-old air reveals surprise about oxygen

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Billion-year-old air reveals surprise about oxygen

Post by oneh2obabe »

Canadian scientists have found a way to analyze air from the ancient Earth's atmosphere that was trapped in salt crystals nearly a billion years ago.

What they found may have implications for the origin of complex life.

The air, which has been preserved, undisturbed, in tiny pockets in the crystals for about 815 million years, appears to contain 10.9 per cent oxygen — just half the amount in the atmosphere today.

But it's about five times more than scientists expected for that time period, which is about 200 million years before the first known multicellular fossils.

"I'm surprised and excited," said Nigel Blamey, a professor of earth sciences at Brock University in St. Catharines, Ont., who co-led the study with fellow Brock geochemist Uwe Brand.

Full article
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ancie ... -1.3698842
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
BoB76
Guru

Re: Billion-year-old air reveals surprise about oxygen

Post by BoB76 »

And to think we are dumber now!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
bafromca

Post by bafromca »

This is incredibly interesting oneh2obabe. Thank you for sharing this article!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

They should be able to measure co2 as well I would guess, using a mass spectrometer.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jlabute wrote:They should be able to measure co2 as well I would guess, using a mass spectrometer.

Don't do that, it could punch holes in the current argument. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

There were also periods of time were oxygen was higher than 20.9 percent. It allowed insects to grow much larger than today as they absorb oxygen directly from air, not with lungs like us

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”