Enormous Yahoo Data Breach

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Enormous Yahoo Data Breach

Post by ferri »

The BBC is reporting that there seems to have been a massive data breach of 200 million Yahoo accounts, with the data – which appears to be from 2012 – being offered for sale for 3 bitcoins ($1805 USD).

According to the BBC article, from a sample of 5000 of the 200 million account credentials being offered for sale by the hacker, who goes by the name of “Peace” and who has also been tied to massive hacks of LinkedIn and MySpace, Motherboard tested a sample of about two dozen and found them to be legitimate, meaning that they were real accounts, and the credentials worked to log into them.

more:
https://www.theinternetpatrol.com/enorm ... -of-birth/
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Enormous Yahoo Data Breach

Post by Bsuds »

Good thing that I cancelled my Yahoo account awhile back.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Bsuds wrote:Good thing that I cancelled my Yahoo account awhile back.

That won't help. Nobody deletes account data anymore, it's just a disabled account.

Recommend you change your passwords tho if you used that same password elsewhere.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

500 million Yahoo accounts breached

Information from at least 500 million Yahoo accounts was stolen from the company in 2014, and the company said Thursday it believes that a state-sponsored actor was behind the hack.

The information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers, Yahoo said.

Claims surfaced in early August that a hacker using the name "Peace" was trying to sell the usernames, passwords and dates of birth of Yahoo account users on the dark web — a black market of thousands of secret websites.

more here:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2016 ... /90824934/
― Albert Einstein
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

A state sponsored actor eh? They really are upping their game! :200:
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i'm thinking it was probably Brad Pitt. that explains a few things huh?

sorry. yeah, it does sound very bad. i wonder if we will ever know exactly who did it?
― Albert Einstein
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Best theory i've heard so far for the split!

At some point we're going to have to start treating "State sponsored hacking" as acts of agression/warfare.

The modern battelfront is quickly turning digital!
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Brad hacked Angelina's email trying to find the truth...found it rather easy, and kept on going.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

If you try to rob 3 stores and get caught and convicted, your sentence is attempted robbery X 3. Attempting to rob from a half billion people should also reflect that, yet everyone knows they'll probably do little time before getting a job offer at a tech company. I have Yahoo and have most likely been robbed. Even if the person caught serves 10 years in jail, it means they will receive roughly a 10 minute sentence for robbing me. Sickening.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

zzontar wrote:If you try to rob 3 stores and get caught and convicted, your sentence is attempted robbery X 3. Attempting to rob from a half billion people should also reflect that, yet everyone knows they'll probably do little time before getting a job offer at a tech company. I have Yahoo and have most likely been robbed. Even if the person caught serves 10 years in jail, it means they will receive roughly a 10 minute sentence for robbing me. Sickening.

An interesting perspective.

Some counterpoints:
- If you rob a bank holding money for 1000 customers, does the robber face 1000 charges?
- Very rarely is it the same people stealing the information and using that information to steal money/identity. Does the guy who stole the gun get charged with murder when it's someone else who subsequently used that gun to kill?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

TylerM4 wrote:
An interesting perspective.

Some counterpoints:
- If you rob a bank holding money for 1000 customers, does the robber face 1000 charges?

The difference is, what they're taking from the bank is insured and is usually cash. The damage to the individuals can be zero.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

zzontar wrote:
The difference is, what they're taking from the bank is insured and is usually cash. The damage to the individuals can be zero.

So what you're saying is that if the item has insurance coverage then stealing it isn't as much of a crime?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

TylerM4 wrote:So what you're saying is that if the item has insurance coverage then stealing it isn't as much of a crime?

That's an interesting question. Let's say it's an unarmed bank robbery and everyone on Castanet has this bank... if you didn't read about it, it probably wouldn't affect you at all. Now let's say instead that the same person hacked into everyone's computers... how much irreversible damage could be done in comparison? I think in some cases that computer hacking should be a worse crime than robbing a bank. Any else?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Guess what? :biggrin: (I will not make a joke about Russians.)

Yahoo says hackers stole data from more than one billion accounts

NEW YORK — Yahoo says it believes hackers stole data from more than one billion user accounts in August 2013.

The Sunnyvale, California, company says it’s a different breach from the one it disclosed in September, when it said 500 million accounts were exposed. That new hack revelation raises questions about whether Verizon will try to change the terms of its $4.8 billion proposed acquisition of Yahoo.

Yahoo says the information stolen may include names, email addresses, phone numbers, birthdates and security questions and answers. The company says it believes bank-account information and payment-card data were not affected.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/14/yahoo-says ... -accounts/
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”