Mac vs. PC (again)

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Mac vs. PC (again)

Post by fluffy »

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I travel in and out of camp on a regualr basis so durability and portability are both big factors. For the last three or four years I've been getting by on an Asus Eeepad, basically a ten inch tablet that came with a conventional keyboard dock that I like becasue I hate on-screen typing with a passion. It's been a great mix of durability and portability but besides the fact that a tablet is basically a one-trick pony, you have to shut down one program to open another, the operating system is becoming increasingly outdated and the hardware won't accept an upgrade. So it's not toast quite yet, but will likely live out the rest of its life on the coffee table for quick reference on questions that arise out of TV viewing.

I've had my eye on the 13" Mac Book Pro for sometime now as, until recently, it always came in at the top of the heap for reviews. It has just lately been losing ground to the 13" Dell XPS which will basically offer the same specs for about 20% less money.

Here's the rub. My cel phone contract has been up for a few months which opened the door to a bunch of deals to sign up for another contract. I did so yesterday on the enticement of a free iPhone 6. There once used to be an issue that Apple products did not play well with others so to speak, and that owning an Apple product restricted your choices outside the Apple product line. I've heard that this issue has been shrinking for some time now, is it worth considering at all?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Mac vs. PC (again)

Post by kgcayenne »

My daughter uses an iPhone to access her music account that's from Microsoft. She went from a Windows phone over to an iPhone with very few issues.

What apps are you using?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

No problem using your i6 with a windows operating system. Might not be as streamlined, but everything works without much fuss.

Really to me the question is iOS vs Windows. Once you land on an operating system of choice, you can choose the hardware. Apple makes good hardware, so do others - especially when you compare price points. Drives me nuts when people compare a $2000 MacBook to a $1100 Dell and say "Apples hardware is so much nicer" Compare it to a $2000 Dell!

I like that you've realized a tablet form factor sucks for typing. Make sure you at least get a detachable keyboard. I really like my MS Surface Pro with soft type cover but Dell, HP, Lenovo now all make very similar models that I'm sure are just as good.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

75% of the laptops up here are Mac. I got mine refurbished from Apple, saved about $500 off a new one - no regrets. I've had it 2 years now, did minimal maintenance on it and still runs like new - starts up in a flash, battery still gives me 9-10 hours of actual use and works seamlessly with my iPhone and iPad.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

I bought a macbook pro a few years ago, I love it. I echo Dizzy's thoughts with the iphone and ipad. I really like having everything connected.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

kgcayenne wrote:What apps are you using?

Mostly, I use the telephone app. :) Really, my requirements in that aspect are few. I like to watch Netflix when I'm sitting in an airport between flights, I use the internet for research and shopping, I take a few pictures when my camera isn't handy. Nothing too involved. My major concern would be on those occassions when I want to transfer files from one device to another.

TylerM4 wrote:Drives me nuts when people compare a $2000 MacBook to a $1100 Dell and say "Apples hardware is so much nicer" Compare it to a $2000 Dell!

Actually, I'm comparing a 13" Dell XPS at $1299.00 to a 13" MacBook Pro w/Retina display at $1549.00. The hardware and operating specs of both units is so close as to be a non-issue. Essentially, the only difference is $250.00.

My question here is would the compatibility of either unit with an iPhone be an issue worth paying the extra money for?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Dizzy1 wrote:75% of the laptops up here are Mac.

Is that because they have a reputation as "the best" and everyone up there is in the six digit plus bracket? To be truthful, that's what first attracted me to the Mac, the simple fact that have have had a solid grip on the top spot until the last year when Dell introduced a product that does everything just as well for less money.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/apple-macbook-pro-13-vs-dell-xps-13-apple-macbook-dell-xps-13/
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

fluffy wrote:
Actually, I'm comparing a 13" Dell XPS at $1299.00 to a 13" MacBook Pro w/Retina display at $1549.00. The hardware and operating specs of both units is so close as to be a non-issue. Essentially, the only difference is $250.00.

My question here is would the compatibility of either unit with an iPhone be an issue worth paying the extra money for?

Wasn't referring to you.

To answer your question - unless you are some sort of a power user (using the apple features/apps daily) it's not worth the extra money. Even then - it's a stretch. The average person fires up iTunes maybe once a week. For many people (like me) it's only a handful of times a year.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

pc all the way. i hate the interface of apple. and the limitations. and you usually have to wait for good games. ive heard salesmen i grill who think of apple as truffles as opposed to mushrooms say that they have a significant percentage of first time buyers back out after using an apple. they literally feel like this trying to use them.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

:popcorn:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

What kinds of files are you needing to transfer between the two devices? Often it's more that I'm using apps to access cloud-based documents; I seldom connect to my PC.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Pictures come to mind, editing is easier on the bigger screen but sometimes the phone is the only camera handy. I download a movie now and then to watch on airplanes or in airports.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

fluffy wrote:Pictures come to mind, editing is easier on the bigger screen but sometimes the phone is the only camera handy. I download a movie now and then to watch on airplanes or in airports.

If you go with mac laptop, then setup iCloud any photo's taking on your iPhone should automatically added to iPhoto on laptop.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

just dont post nudes.....ask j-law
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Snapseed is my go-to editing app on my phone. Occasionally I pull photos over wifi from my camera, and when the iPhone can deal with RAW files, it'll be even better.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”