WhatsApp to share your phone number with FB

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

WhatsApp to share your phone number with FB

Post by oneh2obabe »

SAN FRANCISCO—Global messaging service WhatsApp says it will start sharing the phone numbers of its users with Facebook, its parent company. That means WhatsApp users could soon start seeing more targeted ads on Facebook — although not on the messaging service itself.

The move is a subtle but significant shift for WhatsApp, which has long promised to safeguard the privacy of more than 1 billion users around the world. WhatsApp is giving users a limited time to opt out of sharing their information with Facebook, although they must take the extra step of unchecking a box to do so. It also says Facebook won’t post phone numbers online or give them out to anyone.

But the giant social network has been looking for ways to make money from WhatsApp since it bought the service two years ago, in an eye-popping deal ultimately worth $21.8 billion (U.S.). At the same time, Facebook has pledged not to interfere with a long-standing promise by WhatsApp’s co-founders to respect users’ privacy and keep ads off its messaging platform.

More at link
https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/0 ... ebook.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: WhatsApp to share your phone number with FB

Post by GordonH »

People wonder how their cellphone number ends up on a telemarketing list.

I have had the same cell phone number since about 2000, not 1 telemarketing call.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Facebook keeps asking for my cell # for "security reasons"!

Sorry but no way I am giving them that info.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

There's entirely too much "sharing" going on these days. :biggrin:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

It is getting to the point where you might as well consider everything that you put on the Net to be in the Public Domain.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I've always been curious why a lot of the people who are now so paranoid about their information being shared were okay for decades with their name, phone number, AND address being hand delivered in a big book to every home in the city.

Is it the delivery method of the information that bothers you? You just don't trust this information in digital as opposed to print form? For most of us, we're not important enough for anyone to care that our info is online somewhere. Face it, for the most part we're nobodies and nobody cares what your name, phone number, and address are.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Jonrox wrote:I've always been curious why a lot of the people who are now so paranoid about their information being shared were okay for decades with their name, phone number, AND address being hand delivered in a big book to every home in the city.

Is it the delivery method of the information that bothers you? You just don't trust this information in digital as opposed to print form? For most of us, we're not important enough for anyone to care that our info is online somewhere. Face it, for the most part we're nobodies and nobody cares what your name, phone number, and address are.

I'm sorry I may be getting forgetful, but I don't recall many cases of identity theft, or online bullying, back when the only place our names and addresses were published was the big yellow book.

Many of the apps and such out there, are designed deviously on purpose, to where the less than astute can be easily taken advantage of.

Look at how many layers one has to navigate simply to lock down facebook. If there wasn't anything to be concerned about why are they making it so difficult?

In my opinion your comment suggests that you are headed somewhat too far in the other extreme. That's certainly your prerogative, but you are doing people a disservice by calling them paranoid, particularly in an age where elevated caution is mandatory.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Yeah, you're being forgetful. Back then it was people stealing mail, credit cards, and writing fake/bad cheques. And the bullying was face-to-face. Things aren't really that much worse, the medium has just changed.

Facebook and WhatsApp aren't trying to steal your identity, they just want to target ads better. They don't actually care about you. They only care that an algorithm can show you an ad for things you actually use. There's not a person behind any of it... just a really smart computer.

I hate to break it to you, but you're just not important enough for a real person to actually pay you any notice.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'm sure Facebook had your number already regardless. We have had caller ID for ages, I'm sure it translates to the internet when you use a phone to access an account. Privacy is a thing of the past unless you are not posting on this board, avoid technology completely and live in the woods.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

JLives wrote:I'm sure Facebook had your number already regardless. We have had caller ID for ages, I'm sure it translates to the internet when you use a phone to access an account.

No worries here as my phone has no internet access other than WiFi and never does it go to FB.
I think the main point here is that they are always looking for ways to increase their profits and this is just another attempt at that. We really don't have much privacy anymore so really no point in stressing over it, just limit it as much as you can.

If you use WhatsApp and don't want your number on FB then cancel your account and get a new phone #. That's probably the only way to stop it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I remember the days when a phone number was in a big book and shared with everyone :130:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”