Apple announcement today

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
slootman
Übergod

Re: Apple announcement today

Post by slootman »

Atomoa wrote:The 600 billion a year that marketing spends on advertising to convince is just fluff? For kicks?

As I previously stated if business were just servicing a preexisting demand, all that would be required would be a google maps link."Buy your stuff here".

Advertisers spend to convince customers to buy their stuff here rather than there. There's 10 car dealers in town that would show up on google maps. Advertising is to influence where customers decide to go. Ford vs Chev. Apple vs Samsung. Take your pick.

Atomoa wrote:What is your background in electronics?

LOL I'm not going to publish my resume on an internet forum. I will say its more than your 10 years. Given you've resorted to attacking my credentials rather than responding to the argument I think I have a good idea of our comparative backgrounds.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Jonrox wrote:And Apple getting rid of the headphone jack should mean one less thing that can break down?

Phones getting stuck in headphone mode due to jack issues is a big problem. No sound will come out of anything else when this happens, seems like a reliability improvement to me. Now if they could makes their wireless ear buds look less like golf tees sticking out of your head that would also be an improvement.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Jonrox wrote:For those that don't know, Atomoa has a huge hate-on for advertising.

Heh it'd be interesting to know why. E.g. On the bus home I saw an ad, and then felt an overwhelming need to stop at the mall to buy the product I saw. Then I saw another ad and bought that product. Then another. Then another! They were everywhere! I couldn't even carry everything out of the store, but I saw an ad for a backpack, then I bought that too. I don't even want any of this stuff but I was just so tricked by all the ads!
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Well now that apple has sent out its iphone 7....time to look forward on buying another iphone

http://elitedaily.com/news/leaked-info- ... 7/1610257/
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Symbonite wrote:Well now that apple has sent out its iphone 7....time to look forward on buying another iphone

http://elitedaily.com/news/leaked-info- ... 7/1610257/

Just like Samsung is feverishly working on their new models.

When the first "leaked" rumours came out for the 7 - the same thing was said, radical new design, this and that - just like with the 6, and the 5 and so on. Until the product reaches the market, rumours will continue to give the techies warm and fuzzy dreams.

Think I might take a look see at the iPhone 7 today. See if its worth upgrading my 5s.

Edit: Never mind, thought it was out already - guess not LOL
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Sep 20th, 2016, 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Right click for full comic.

The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I'm waiting for cellphone that has a.... beam me to ____________? feature, come on cellphone makers... make it happen. :laugh:
Were the hell is Scotty when you need him.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Went to an Apple store here in the US last night and they had an iPhone 7 demo (no plus on display) for customers to play around with. I'm assuming, and hoping, that this was just a standard dummy display unit that had complete functioning capabilities because the entire thing was made out of a very light plastic and the Taptic function just felt off. If the actual end product is like this, then I definitely won't be upgrading. Other than that, nothing really new - still works like an iPhone, everything is logically placed and familiar. The better camera (and all black options) are what have peaked my interest - probably isn't worth the upgrade cost though - will have to wait and see.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I checked out the Plus at an Apple Store in Van. Theee are different models and they do feel different. The touch button takes a little getting used to as it no longer clicks, but the feedback can be adjusted to be toned up or down. The new camera is pretty nice though. Instant 2x zoom that isn't just a grainy digital zoom. Sad that that feature is missing from the regular phones. I don't really want a larger phone.

I'm pretty happy with my 6S for now. I'll probably hold out for the 7s or 8
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

I figured I'd add my two cents. I bought the 7 and am quite happy with it. My older 5s was starting to show its age as I don't use cases on phones - it got bit more banged up than would've otherwise. Anyway, I like the size and screen and overall design, though it feels more slippery in my hand than the 5s' square shape - probably similar to the 6/6s shape. The button is nice - I don't see why anyone would have an issue with it. I actually thought it was a real button at first as the haptic feedback makes it feel like a real button. The camera is great too - I liked the 7plus camera but the phone's too big. Speed etc all improved as expected. The flat black is nice too.

Admittedly, I did run into one time I wanted a headphone jack and didn't have the adapter, though fortunately the system I was trying to connect to also had bluetooth. Disaster averted. Heckling from family, not so much :)

Had I had a 6 or 6s I likely would've waited - the new one is nice but feature-wise not much different than last year's.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Every single device maker knows a very large portion of population will always ante up/buy into next generation of whatever they make.
Cellphones companies would go belly up waiting for me to upgrade, until my old Samsung flip phone no longer works (current one been doing the job since 2009) I will keep on using it.

Added: all I need to replace the battery is a dime, not special screw driver & microscope.

Added later: Oh still I'm waiting for that beam me feature, what hell taking so long...... snap to it
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I took a closer look at the iPhone 7 - not worth the upgrade for me. I'm sticking with my 5s and if it craps out, I'd be happier with the SE, maybe 6s.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/apple-i ... -1.3816611

Further proves my point. They can't even build the previous version of iPhone properly. Samsung 7 notebooks exploding as well but that didnt stop them from putting them on the market as fast as possible.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
manmade
Fledgling

Post by manmade »

Dizzy1 wrote:I took a closer look at the iPhone 7 - not worth the upgrade for me. I'm sticking with my 5s and if it craps out, I'd be happier with the SE, maybe 6s.

SEs are starting to pop up in the used market for <$400, and getting picked up immediately
damager

Post by damager »

^^
Been trying to get one used (reasonably priced) for the longest time

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”