Apple announcement today

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
forum
Guru

Re: Apple announcement today

Post by forum »

Problem with Airplay is you still need to babysit the device streaming the music. Chromecast and Sonos hand off the stream. The user that started the music from their phone, can leave the house and Chromecast and Sonos will continue playing.

Nuvo is pretty good for what it is. With your nuvo, how do you adjust the volume levels in each room?
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

2 ways. The easiest is to use the small control panel in each room (they're located by the light switches for hose rooms). They're the size of a light switch and are used to choose the input device (which I generally leave set to the receiver), set volume, and a whole host of other options. The other is through using the Marantz app which is what's used to turn on the receiver from anywhere in the house and control the master volume.

If I left everything turned on when I left the house, all I have to do when I get home is to choose the Airplay device to switch the streaming to from within the app I'm currently using. If everything isn't left on, it takes about 10 seconds to turn on the receiver, Nuvo, and switch the Airplay device.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

maryjane48 wrote:the issue is bluetooth sound sucks . id rather listen to scratchy lp lol.

Yeah, bluetooth is almost always lossy. Airplay supports/is lossless, but it's proprietary so screw that. I'd just use foobar for streaming, personally. But I'm a nerd.

[edit = gramer]
Last edited by Woodenhead on Dec 29th, 2016, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your bias suits you.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I really don't give a damn about bluetooth, because I plug my MP3 player into my headset or speakers. Like magic there is music.

Oh yes I'm old fart who remembers having an 8 track in my first car.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Symbonite wrote:this announcment is pretty quite...

If your iPhone 6s has any damage such as a cracked screen which impairs the replacement of the battery, that issue will need to be resolved prior to the battery replacement. In some cases, there may be a cost associated with the repair.

Hahaha.

Too bad you should just buy a new one™
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

GordonH wrote:I really don't give a damn about bluetooth, because I plug my MP3 player into my headset or speakers. Like magic there is music.

Oh yes I'm old fart who remembers having an 8 track in my first car.

yes but if the ports go away on all phones then we stuck getting a adapter for charging port or bt .

i like my music to sound atleaxt mp3 level lol . my experiance with bluetooth it not there yet and thats steaming hifi files .
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Bluetooth is not lossy, the compression alorithms are. Bluetooth utilizes 802.15.1 IEEE physical layer that offers 25 to 50 Mbps which is more than what is needed for audio and it is likely buffered on the receiving end. If Bluetooth was lossy, then it would be useless for everything. It is just a communication medium.
I like the new phones. The 7plus according to dpreview now ranks best for camera. Audio is perfectly great too. I like that the stereo audio jack was removed ... just like some new android phones. Bluetooth 5 is great. Just wait until UWB is common place.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

no one said bt is lossy but for streaming the sound is worse than mp3 . ny truck deck is top the line but the bt sound sucks . my house stereo is a good one but again the bt sound isnt good .
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I've got to agree with Jlabute - there's no technical reason for BT sound to suck.

With BT the data should be streamed to the device in digital format which would result in no loss. BT is used to transfer data it's not a sound format. It transfers data in a lossless format including sound data. Any data that's lost on initial transmission is detected by the receiver and re-transmitted until received. The result is either "no data" or "perfect data". It's important to know that BT is not a sound format it's a data transfer format. It's not appropriate to compare BT to MP3 for example. BT would be used to transmit MP3 data - not as a competitor to that data format.

However, I cannot argue experience. All I can say is that there's no technical reason why the sound would be worse. Technically, there's times when BT sound could be better. You can pass 5.1 Audio via BT - can't do that with a 3.5mm microphone jack. Yes, I know that 5.1 isn't a benefit with most music.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

maryjane48 wrote:no one said bt is lossy but for streaming the sound is worse than mp3 . ny truck deck is top the line but the bt sound sucks . my house stereo is a good one but again the bt sound isnt good .

It was said, look up. BT is also software dependant so, a lot of room for something to go wrong. It may not be BT specifically. it is a small part in the chain of how sound gets to the speakers. For times when phones have had BT issues it has been a hardware or software problem. Apple has had BT issues recently. What device are you streaming from?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”