Apple announcement today

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Apple announcement today

Post by TylerM4 »

So apparently Apple invented ARM's Big Little processor technology? Man, they are the worst for taking credit where it's not due. Sure Apple, you invented ARM's processor just like you invented rounded corners.

Also, that 1/2 time show or whatever it was. WTH? This is a technology announcement, not some sort of wannabe artistic film festival. It was so bad to watch and hopefully they noticed the crowd's reaction. I do admit, just had it in the background as I was doing something else so perhaps I missed something that would have made it make sense.

Anyone else get the feeling that Apple is struggling to bring new innovations to the market like they used to? Seems like they're trying everything in the book to make the IPhone7 appear like more than just a processor and memory upgrade.

And for the record: No, I'm not an apple hater. I have an iPhone 5 and will likely move to the 7 after the initial rush.
slootman
Übergod

Re: Apple announcement today

Post by slootman »

I think all mobile phone makers are struggling with innovation, including Apple. The last few launches, IMO, have been pretty underwhelming despite the enthusiasm of the presenters - sounds like they want to maintain the excitement from early iphone launches, unfortunately nowadays theres not as much substance. Statements like 'fastest iphone ever', 'best camera in an iphone ever' etc are so anti-climatic its a bit sad. iterative improvements, nothing groundbreaking. just like any other tech product.

as far as the crowd goes, i'm convinced half the people in the room are apple employees who are only there to cheer excessively at the 0.000001 mm reduction in thickness in the new model.

the zoom was kinda cool. water resistant / proof / whatever could be good, if its legit. i thought the air pods looked pretty interesting, though the $200+ price tag seems excessive.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

On the upside though, every time a new one comes out last years model gets cheaper. iPhone 6, released about this time in 2014, is free for signing a cel contract.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I like the changes. Stereo speakers, faster processor for game play, teaming up with Sony to bring Mario to Apple. Cool. No more 1/8th inch stereo jack. Wireless headphones will be the norm. OiS and f1.8 lens... 4 LED flash for better white balance. New backlit image sensor. Water resistance. Much better. I'll probably give my SE away cheap and upgrade.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

People can't charge and use the audio adapter at the same time.

200 bucks for a set of bluetooth headphones.

Not to mention lots of people use the audio jack for credit card readers.

The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

- Buckminster Fuller
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I remember when changes between models were truly huge. Now it's just small steps. Slightly better camera, slightly better design.

Yet they'll still sell a gazillion of them.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

If we invented products that lasted 20 years our economy would collapse.

Planned obsolescence in order to protect a financial system. We burn through raw materials not because we need them, but because we need to continually re-make products in order for people to re-buy them.

People do not realize that the consumer electronic industry is one of the ugliest out there.

- Buckminster Fuller
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

There's plenty of consumer goods which last 20 years or longer. Tech products, especially relatively new ones like smartphones have changed society. To imply that usability of a 20 year old cell phone is planned obsolescence at work is ridiculous.

I assume you're posting in this forum using a 20 year old 486 and 28.8k modem, right? I hope so - otherwise you'd be just another sucker consumer buying products they don't need from evil corporations fooling you with their planned obsolescence trickery.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Raw materials are not mined for just Apple. Although, leaving manufacturing up to China is the issue. Else you'd be paying 2-3 times more for products. The battery industry is very dangerous and toxic.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Everyone wants Apple to pay workers more, improve conditions and safety, provide better protection for the environment.

Nobody wants to pay more money for an iPhone tho. :digging:
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

slootman wrote:There's plenty of consumer goods which last 20 years or longer. Tech products, especially relatively new ones like smartphones have changed society. To imply that usability of a 20 year old cell phone is planned obsolescence at work is ridiculous.

I assume you're posting in this forum using a 20 year old 486 and 28.8k modem, right? I hope so - otherwise you'd be just another sucker consumer buying products they don't need from evil corporations fooling you with their planned obsolescence trickery.

I spent 10 years immersed in the consumer electronic industry. Not 10 years selling the stuff with nametag, btw.

Yes technology changes but if you think that companies simply can't keep up with innovation and they are "forced" to sell people "new versions" of things every 6 months you are fully a indoctrinated consumer.

Consumer demand for new technology? They don't spend 600 billion a year on advertising to cater to a demand that existed before they dropped 600 billion. They don't spend that kid of money just to draw a map for people so they can know where to satisfy their pre existing demand for consumer products.

My favorite example is the CRT TV. After 40 years of design improvements and technology innovation you could buy a Sony TV in 1985 and I'll bet that sucker is still running. What did that do? Almost bankrupt Sony and every other CRT TV manufacturer. Now instead of one big TV in your living room that lasts 10-20 years, you have a TV in every room that you replace every 3 - if you can stand being without the lastest version that long.

That's done for profit sake, not because of technological innovation.

- Buckminster Fuller
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I find it truly remarkable that living in a wireless world, where everyone is striving to use less and less wires these days - so many people are up in arms about Apple's decision to drop the headphone jack.

Oh, thats right - it's Apple, had it been Samsung, then it would have been akin to the landing on the moon.

Fact is, we're moving into a wireless world, this is just another evolutionary step into that direction which will soon be followed by everyone else. Some people will embrace it, others will fight it and others (such as myself) don't really care either way - I can live with wired headphones or without - but I will say one thing for anyone travelling as much as I do, the less wires dangling around your body, the better and the easier your travelling lifestyle can be.

As for the phone itself, I like the new colours (even though I'd much rather see one with black and gold), I like the design and the phone as a whole has perked my interest. Is it enough to upgrade my current 5s? Don't know yet, I'll have to take a look at the 7 when I get a chance.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Not everyone can afford $200 wireless earphones that will also be easy to lose one or both. Will they sell them in singles for replacing lost ones? I doubt it. As with most new things they will come down in price with time and are available cheaper from China anyway. Maybe not as good a quality but cheaper.

As for built in obsolescence I agree with Atoma but not his 3 year time frame. All the TV's in this house are well over that threshold. I sure would like a 4K TV but can't convince the banker just yet. lol
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:Not everyone can afford $200 wireless earphones that will also be easy to lose one or both. Will they sell them in singles for replacing lost ones? I doubt it. As with most new things they will come down in price with time and are available cheaper from China anyway. Maybe not as good a quality but cheaper.

Wireless/Bluetooth headphones/earbuds have been around for years - they're nothing new, and they've been becoming more popular year after year. With the push from Apple you'll see more and more and they'll become more affordable and as soon as Samsung drops the jack on their phones then they'll be all the rage. They're no easier to loose than wired headphones/earbuds and in the case of earbuds, they have a wire connecting the two buds that so you can hang it around your neck (as you would conventional headsets) without having another cord dangling around the rest of your body.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”