Windows STILL updating.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Windows STILL updating.

Post by Jlabute »

You can have time consuming issues with all OS. Windows though has a very large experienced user base. I'm sticking with windows since I know it best and have a large investment in dev tools. Office too is very mature and less problematic than free suites.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

So last night, I was reminded about the pending update and when I shut down, I chose the update then shut down option thinking that it would be done when I woke up. Right? Nope. As soon as I powered up, the dreaded "this will take a while" message popped up and I would guess, pretty close to an hour.

I thought I had necgated that when I chose the option I did. Guess not.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

mexicalidreamer wrote:So last night, I was reminded about the pending update and when I shut down, I chose the update then shut down option thinking that it would be done when I woke up. Right? Nope. As soon as I powered up, the dreaded "this will take a while" message popped up and I would guess, pretty close to an hour.

It'd be nice if they'd give something a bit less vague than "a while", and better yet if they'd suggested you not use "shut down" because it would need to restart several times to complete. And better still if they'd warned you the pending update wasn't one to begin while you're on a deadline.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

mexicalidreamer wrote:So last night, I was reminded about the pending update and when I shut down, I chose the update then shut down option thinking that it would be done when I woke up. Right? Nope. As soon as I powered up, the dreaded "this will take a while" message popped up and I would guess, pretty close to an hour.

Yeah, that one will catch you. Generally not an issue with typical updates as it usually goes by pretty quickly, but certainly annoying when it comes to something like the anniversary update which is quite large and takes some time to apply.

I've gotten into the habit of telling my computer to "restart" when installing updates rather than "shut down".
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Windows has been updating for the last 26 years, lol. It has been evolving quicker than any other OS.
Ok, yeah, I'm hooked on windows, so please no one say, oh, you're just a fanboy, well, yeah, yes I am. I know a good thing when I see it. lol. When I was but barely an adult, I ran out to buy 3.0 when it arrived. I almost switched to OS2 since it was vastly ahead of its time and utterly amazing but it didn't take-off. OS2 was crazy amazing for its time and is probably still around.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

This will take a while is certainly less of a while if you have an SSD on board. Any time I see that message I laugh and tell windows that it doesn't REALLY know my computer.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

3 computers updated OK the 4th never got past 42%. After a lot of retries and updating BIOS and drivers etc, etc I have reverted to Win 8.1. Win 10 worked just fine until the Anniversary update that really messed things up!
It has been a very frustrating experience and I would really like to get my hands on the people who developed this OS!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

42 is the answer to life, universe, and everything.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I know a couple of folks who just use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (for doing security-only updates) - IDk how well that works. I've never had any issues but I read up on updates before I decide whether to install them or not. For a fresh install of Win 7, I'm just sticking with the constantly maintained Simplix pack.
Your bias suits you.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Bsuds wrote: Win 10 worked just fine until the Anniversary update that really messed things up!
It has been a very frustrating experience and I would really like to get my hands on the people who developed this OS!

Woke up to my computer updating Windows 10, the Anniversary update, took one look at the screen and said I am betting I'm going to have to remove this update.
Sure enough, after 20 minutes of garbage updates from Microsoft, my computer had no internet connection, all my photos had no file type association to them, also a bunch of other problems.

I deleted the update and setup my computer to not do any more "offered" updates, but only security updates.

Yes, Bsuds, I'd like to ask those who developed this update, what kind of dope they were on when they wrote this crap!
Microsoft is going to pot for sure!
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

UltraViolet wrote:Yes, Bsuds, I'd like to ask those who developed this update, what kind of dope they were on when they wrote this crap!
Microsoft is going to pot for sure!

haha Well it's all part of their long term plan. Force everyone into Windows 10 is just one step. Eventually you'll be paying for software etc. not as a single item purchase any more, but rather as a subscribed monthly paid service.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”