Good drone to buy?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Even Steven
Guru

Good drone to buy?

Post by Even Steven »

My brother's birthday is coming up and I want to give him a drone as a present. Not much for him, but for my nephew so they can film things together. But I don't know much about them, so hoping for some feedback from peeps involved with them.

My budget is $150. Can one buy something decent for it? I don't want to buy cheap useless crap but at the same time don't want to go broke. Amazon has lots of them under $100, but some are unknown brands and who knows how durable they are.

Thoughts?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Good drone to buy?

Post by gman313 »

Even Steven wrote:My brother's birthday is coming up and I want to give him a drone as a present. Not much for him, but for my nephew so they can film things together. But I don't know much about them, so hoping for some feedback from peeps involved with them.

My budget is $150. Can one buy something decent for it? I don't want to buy cheap useless crap but at the same time don't want to go broke. Amazon has lots of them under $100, but some are unknown brands and who knows how durable they are.

Thoughts?

send me a pm if you want and i'll send you my cell - we can go back and forth. I've been an RC and drone guy for a while. Unfortunately $150 won't get you much other than toy grade units that probably won't last and won't have much range.

What do you want to do with it:

pictures / video only?

aerobatics only?

racing?

all of the above?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Also, assuming you in Kelowna talk to the local hobby shops. Available parts is a must.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

What I found - took $100 to get a decent "toy". $150 should get you a reasonably good toy grade drone. Got one for my Dad, it flies around his property and takes pictures just fine. Tho certainly nothing like my brother's $800 hobby grade.

Toy sounds bad, but it's not. Everyone should start with a "toy drone" before graduating to hobby class.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”