Looking for a Web-Based Instant Messaging

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
pmaria
Fledgling

Re: Looking for a Web-Based Instant Messaging

Post by pmaria »

Just thought I throw this out there. Like others have said, I live on Skype for work - 100's if not > 1,000 messages a day, to dozens of contacts and also up to several hours of conference calling. The only time I have issues, is when I travel and am using hotel, airport, or other public wifi, otherwise the performance is rock solid. Any issues are related to the internet connection, end even then only really affects voice or video.

That being said, internally in my company we have started using Slack as it provides a nicer collaborative experience. While its designed for teams, it would work well for one on one communication. Its web based, but has apps too for mobile devices and Windows / OSX.

Whatsapp, while it has a web based interface, and is encrypted end to end, does require the app to be loaded on a phone and the phone to be connected to data.

If you use a Mac or iOS on both ends, you can also just use iMessage.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Thanks, everyone, for the info and suggestions. It looks like my 19yr-old hotmail addy is the weak link here, and I just needed to start a brand new Microsoft Outlook account to solve the problem. 'Shrugs' of all things...
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

kgcayenne wrote:Thanks, everyone, for the info and suggestions. It looks like my 19yr-old hotmail addy is the weak link here, and I just needed to start a brand new Microsoft Outlook account to solve the problem. 'Shrugs' of all things...

Strange, I still use my ~20 year old Hotmail address for my day to day skype usage. Maybe there was something else wrong with your account that creating a new one corrected. Glad you got it sorted.
Elvang

Post by Elvang »

Quixote
Fledgling

Post by Quixote »

Skype now allows people to have conversations without signing up - just go to skype.com, click start a conversation, enter a name and it creates a conversation for you. Send the link to that conversation to whoever you'd like to join, and just chat away. Conversations only last 24h though, so you'd need to send a new link every day.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Yahoo messenger.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i use viber its a close to normal phone texting you can get
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

If you're willing to use a tablet or smartphone, I would recommend Signal Private messaging.

Or you can use Google Allo, Incognito mode.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I implement IT strategies for a living.

Thinking about this again. I would recommend you purchase Chromebooks. Then turn on developer mode which will enable you to run Android Apps on the Chromebook. From there you could run Signal Private Messenger.

Safe and secure.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Or... just use telegram.

Investing in a worthless chromebook seems excessive for anyone's needs.

Sounds like you like to make up *bleep* for a living and charge an arm and a leg to do so, very likely, hahah.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Why would you say Chromebooks are worthless?
What part was I making up?
Sounds like you have no experience in the subject.

Why did you bother posting? Do you like me?

P.S. Do Not listen to this guys advice regarding Telegram.
Telegram is the worst suggestion in this thread.
Telegram built their own Crytography which is a big no no in the security industry.

Please do as I suggested and use Signal.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Elvang wrote:https://discordapp.com/
https://slack.com/

I'm not a PC gamer and I've never used Discord, but I followed the development a little after Hammer & Chisel decided to drop support of Fates Forever (the best mobile game I've ever played... by a mile) and started to build Discord. Although I know they had gamers in mind when they developed it, I had thought it would be a great option even for business use.

And I'm not sure forum knows what he's getting into here. Loed has a long history of having just about the best IT knowledge base of anyone on these boards.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

forum wrote:Why would you say Chromebooks are worthless?
What part was I making up?
Sounds like you have no experience in the subject.

Maybe he responded like this because you suggested buying multiple laptops just so she can instant message with her husband, when there are several great options that won't cost hundreds or thousands of dollars - they'll be free. Your solution is totally excessive and unnecessary.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I recommended using Signal which is for mobile phones. (free)
I also recommended a chromebook because that is the least expensive laptop one can purchase while maintaining the highest level of security from an operating system. ChromeOS is probably the most secure platform going right now.

http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/intl/en/chrome/assets/business/chromebook/downloads/chromebook-security-built-in.pdf

Windows is just to much of a gamble.

A new chromebook is $175. She was acting like she was sharing nuclear codes with her husband. $175 shouldn't break the bank.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lenovo-N22-80SF0001US-11-6-Chromebook/dp/B01CVKKZ60/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1480133959&sr=1-2&keywords=chromebook

It's good advice, she should take it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”