Looking for a Web-Based Instant Messaging

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Looking for a Web-Based Instant Messaging

Post by kgcayenne »

Well now.

I enjoy learning about new tech, I guess you could say I can 'get my nerd on'. However, some stuff has come down the line that has mad it valuable to have sorted out that all I needed was to log into a different account. I'm interested, still in seeing what else is 'out there'....
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

forum wrote:I recommended using Signal which is for mobile phones. (free)
I also recommended a chromebook because that is the least expensive laptop one can purchase while maintaining the highest level of security from an operating system. ChromeOS is probably the most secure platform going right now.

http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/intl/en/chrome/assets/business/chromebook/downloads/chromebook-security-built-in.pdf

Windows is just to much of a gamble.

A new chromebook is $175. She was acting like she was sharing nuclear codes with her husband. $175 shouldn't break the bank.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lenovo-N22-80SF0001US-11-6-Chromebook/dp/B01CVKKZ60/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1480133959&sr=1-2&keywords=chromebook

It's good advice, she should take it.

You failed right from the outset with requirements gathering. She gave you all the info regarding what she wanted and you didn't listen. She said she didn't want to use a phone and she wanted a service that didn't require giving them a lot of information. She just said she wanted a reliable way to chat with her husband that didn't result in failed conversations.

You went way overboard with your solution when there are several viable free options that would meet what she's looking for.

She solved her problem with a change to a login account. That pretty much shows your solution was grossly excessive.
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

forum wrote:I recommended using Signal which is for mobile phones. (free)
I also recommended a chromebook because that is the least expensive laptop one can purchase while maintaining the highest level of security from an operating system. ChromeOS is probably the most secure platform going right now.

http://static.googleusercontent.com/external_content/untrusted_dlcp/www.google.com/en/us/intl/en/chrome/assets/business/chromebook/downloads/chromebook-security-built-in.pdf

Windows is just to much of a gamble.

A new chromebook is $175. She was acting like she was sharing nuclear codes with her husband. $175 shouldn't break the bank.

https://www.amazon.ca/Lenovo-N22-80SF0001US-11-6-Chromebook/dp/B01CVKKZ60/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1480133959&sr=1-2&keywords=chromebook

It's good advice, she should take it.

You forgot something:
https://www.amazon.ca/Norpro-3405-Recyc ... 911&sr=8-2
pmaria
Fledgling

Post by pmaria »

Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

forum wrote:Why would you say Chromebooks are worthless?
What part was I making up?
Sounds like you have no experience in the subject.

Why did you bother posting? Do you like me?

P.S. Do Not listen to this guys advice regarding Telegram.
Telegram is the worst suggestion in this thread.
Telegram built their own Crytography which is a big no no in the security industry.

Please do as I suggested and use Signal.

I responded because your suggestion was terrible given the situation.

For security, Telegram is fine for what it does and the glut of ways to access it and for what the user was requesting. If you're trying to do illegal things and hide your tracks, no. Do they need to rework their cryptography? Ya, they really do, but they are doing pretty well. https://www.eff.org/node/82654

Chrome books are horrible for the valuation.

Signal is great, yes, but far outside the scope of the request. That said, I love OWS.

ChromeOS is only secure because of sandboxing. It all depends on what you do inside of it.

There's really nothing wrong with windows aside from a stigma of hate towards it.

If you value privacy to the point of what you are suggesting here, then no, there's little out there that can help you substantially.

I said you made stuff up because you said you "Implement IT strategies for a living". IE you make stuff up, apply value to it, and sell it to higher ups who have no idea what it does, why it does it or why they need it. This might not be you to a tee, but it will be pretty close.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

You should just stop contradicting yourself.

ChromeOS with Signal is simple and tight.

You admit Telegrams cryptography needs work, yet you still recommend it?
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Yes, very much so.

This isn't someone looking to hide government secrets here.

They were looking for something quick and simple to use on any style device, to chat.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Loed wrote:I said you made stuff up because you said you "Implement IT strategies for a living". IE you make stuff up, apply value to it, and sell it to higher ups who have no idea what it does, why it does it or why they need it. This might not be you to a tee, but it will be pretty close.

Sums it up nicely. Suggesting a solution that will cost several hundred dollars when a free solution did the trick was ridiculous.

A lot of IT "professionals" make their living by duping their clients into excessive solutions, selling their clients on technical garbage that isn't important and won't get used.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Yeah some do that.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”