360° Videos Come To VLC Open Source Media Player

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

360° Videos Come To VLC Open Source Media Player

Post by jimsenchuk »

Short Bytes: In a new preview release, VLC has added support for 360-degree videos. Known as VLC 360, the preview is currently available for Windows and macOS. A VR-enabled version of the VLC media player will arrive for various VR headsets in 2017.
The free and open source media player 360° videos in its latest preview release. VLC 360 – made in collaboration with Giroptic – is available in desktop versions of the popular media player for Windows (7 and later) and MacOS (10.10 and later) operating systems.

The 360-degree video playback is enabled using Spatial spec. The preview release also adds support for 360-degree images and wide-angle panorama shots following the spherical spec.

Keyboard and mouse can be used to navigate within the 360-degree videos in VLC 360 desktop version because most of the machines running Windows and MacOS don’t have the required sensors.

Android, iOS, Xbox users will have to wait for some time before the 360-degree features arrive for their device platforms.

https://fossbytes.com/360-videos-vlc-op ... -download/
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: 360° Videos Come To VLC Open Source Media Player

Post by TylerM4 »

Kinda neat. I don't see myself using this anytime soon but nice to see my favorite media player just got even better!
Jlabute
Guru

Re: 360° Videos Come To VLC Open Source Media Player

Post by Jlabute »

Wish I had eyes in the back of my head :-)
A friend of mine bought the Vive VR... that too is so extremely cool. I am curious to see where the future of VR gaming goes. HTC seems to have the edge here.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”