Top 10 Most Dangerous Malware

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Post by jimsenchuk »

Conficker: Worm that enabled remote operations and malware download
Sality: Virus that allows remote operations and downloads additional malware
Locky: Spreads mainly via spam emails with disguised downloader
Cutwail: Botnet used to send spams and take part in DDoS attacks
Zeus: Trojan used to steal banking information
Chanitor: Installs malicious payloads on infected machines
Tinba: Banking trojan
Cryptowall: Ransomware that uses AES encryption and conducts C&C communication over TOR
Blackhole: Exploit kit that uses browser and plugin security flaws
Nivdort: Bot that’s used to steal passwords and modify settings

https://fossbytes.com/top-10-dangerous- ... ansomware/
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Top 10 Most Dangerous Malware

Post by TylerM4 »

Thanks for posting

Some ancient Malware listed in there that only targets older operating systems/software. I suppose it could still be rampant in poor parts of the world that use ancient computers fished out of donation bins.

Conficker for example: Only WinXP and Windows 2000 OS's were vulnerable, MS released a mandatory patch many years ago, plus every AV software will catch this one nowadays. It's obsolete - yesterday's Malware. It was a doosey tho - I remember fighting major outbreaks...8 years ago.

I guess if you look at the list from a global perspective - it may be accurate. But if we were to focus on North America only - you'd find the list would look very different.

I also question the "Most Dangerous" title as Conficker for example was pretty benign in itself. All it did was spread like crazy. It wasn't until conficker was used to load other Malware that users even knew their devices had been infected. Long story short - conficker itself isn't dangerous it just opened the door for other dangerous software to be installed. "Most prolific" would be a better term.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”