CRTC declares broadband internet a basic service!

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

CRTC declares broadband internet a basic service!

Post by Urban Cowboy »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/crtc-dec ... oPlay=true

Looking forward to getting my 50mbps download and 10mbps upload speeds. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: CRTC declares broadband internet a basic service!

Post by maryjane48 »

lol if you live in rural area this good news , but it wont mean lower bills lol [icon_lol2.gif]
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

maryjane48 wrote:lol if you live in rural area this good news , but it wont mean lower bills lol [icon_lol2.gif]

I read that Teksavvy will be dropping prices in some areas. So you are not correct on that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-teksavvy-1.3906730
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

in a city? theres nothing in ruling that says anything about price , what it does say is people that live in hard to reach places must have access to broadband internet and it also says the slowest speeds in canada should be 50 mb download . link to where it says anything about price? thanks merry christmas to you and yours :)
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I'm not sure if I agree with this ruling.

I get a whopping 1.5mbps service at my home. Yes it's slow, but we are able to do anything we need with it except stream multiple videos at once (only 1 Netflix or youtube stream at a time).

50mbps is a luxury service IMO. 10mbps would have been plenty - it is supposed to be "basic service" after all. I suppose they may be trying to "Future Proof" this ruling, but again 10mbps would have been plenty.

This feels like a government shill game. "Internet as a basic service" really means "A way to force citizens to pay for infrastructure expansion"
Last edited by TylerM4 on Dec 23rd, 2016, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

TylerM4 wrote:I'm not sure if I agree with this ruling.

I get a whopping 1.5mbps service at my home. Yes it's slow, but we are able to do anything we need with it except steam multiple videos at once (only 1 Netflix or youtube steam at a time).

50mbps is a luxury service IMO. 10mbps would have been plenty - it is supposed to be "basic service" after all. I suppose they may be trying to "Future Proof" this ruling, but again 10mbps would have been plenty.

This feels like a government shill game. "Internet as a basic service" really means "A way to force citizens to pay for infrastructure expansion"

Totally agree. Until recently, I had Shaw 15 which was more than fast enough to play online games while my wife was surfing the internet upstairs and my kids were watching netflix on the TV. We're not being told that something with 3 times the bandwidth is an essential service? Come on. It's going to lead to higher prices as providers are going to have to start running long cable runs out to remote communities and who pays for it? Not the provider.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

rest the world is going 100 mb service ,50 is slow . i have 150 my self but it still bogs down
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

youjustcomplain wrote:Totally agree. Until recently, I had Shaw 15 which was more than fast enough to play online games while my wife was surfing the internet upstairs and my kids were watching netflix on the TV.

15 with online gaming and netflix sounds like frustration to me, unless you're playing minesweeper online.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Imagine if these complaints were about other services.

1000 watts is fine. My family can have the lights on in one room just fine. Nobody needs to run their oven while the fridge is going. It's just entitlement and the government encouraging Canadians to spend more money to suggest that we have more electricity. What family needs more than a few litres of water? Once we've all taken turns with the bath water, that water can be used in the toilet.

I don't think having first world level internet service is a high benchmark to reach for in Canada.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

maryjane48 wrote:rest the world is going 100 mb service ,50 is slow . i have 150 my self but it still bogs down

Please, do tell how 150 "bogs down" for you. I'm dying to hear this.

50/10 isn't a bad goal, and with fiber roll outs being the norm now it'll be cheaper than if they had tried to mandate this 5 years ago. Sorry shaw, your plant is about to get REAAAL expensive.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i dnt know how but it seems slow down now and then
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Are you sure that it is the connection? I suggest that it could be the GUI operator. You might want to check that out.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

prolly more like crappy internet coming through cable line but i wont go with telus ever again
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Whenever a man in a business suit announces exciting changes for the little guy, RUN!

The CRTC is corrupt. I'm about as excited with this announcement as I was when the CRTC announced pick-n-pay! I called Shaw up wanting SN360 in HD. Shaw said that my current package doesn't support pick-n-pay but suggested I get the NHL Centre Ice package for $35/m. F*&%k you Shaw! If this was in some parts of Europe the masses would have burnt down Shaw and the CRTC buildings years ago.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

maryjane48 wrote:i dnt know how but it seems slow down now and then

You've just admitted you have no clue. Why argue a topic you don't understand?

I'll let you in on a secret - you could have gigabit service and you'd still think it's slow.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”