Favorite Browser

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Favorite Browser

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Old Techie wrote:No wonder there's always been issues loading this place when there's upwards of 30 ads on some of the pages.

DANSPEED wrote:There's ads on this site? lol

I like the sync feature with FF although I'm finding master password doesn't work so well with android.

I use Cyberfox (which is 64bit and based on FF, but without some of the crap, and it works with any FF addons) on my computer, as well as the lastpass extension, and on my android galaxy S7 I installed Dolphin browser along with lastpass addon.

To keep everything in sync I use Xmarks extension on both Cyberfox and the Dolphin browser on my android phone.

It works great compared to when I was trying to use FF on my android. FF was slow, wouldn't load some things at all, and the lastpass extension was not all that smooth in function.

The Dolphin browser has an adblocker built into it, and the lastpass addon works great now, not to mention pages load without issue in a timely fashion. It also has flash capability if required, something that was an issue with some browsers.

I'm quite pleased with the setup as it currently functions.

Oh and Cyberfox still has the Firefox sync feature so I'm still good communicating with other PC's in the house.

I think the only thing Xmarks doesn't do is synchronize FF extensions with other computers, but that's not a deal breaker in my case as I'm only using it to communicate with Dolphin which doesn't use FF extensions.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

DANSPEED wrote:There's ads on this site? lol

I use Cyberfox (which is 64bit and based on FF, but without some of the crap, and it works with any FF addons) on my computer, as well as the lastpass extension, and on my android galaxy S7 I installed Dolphin browser along with lastpass addon.

Do you have a safe download link for Cyberfox?
I have got caught before with scammer links to FF before.
Have looked for with Google, but not sure which is the best download site to use....

Your comments have made me curious as I us FF now but have 64 bit PC's.
Better and cleaner loading is always a good thing.

Thanks
NNA
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Do you have a safe download link for Cyberfox?
I have got caught before with scammer links to FF before.
Have looked for with Google, but not sure which is the best download site to use....

Your comments have made me curious as I us FF now but have 64 bit PC's.
Better and cleaner loading is always a good thing.

Thanks
NNA

Cyberfox is made by 8pecxstudios so I obtained it from their site with no issue whatsoever. I always opt for the software makers site any time I want something. Other sites tend to mess with the download and package other stuff with it which is annoying as all get out.

Not sure if they'll leave the link but I got it below and used the green download button toward upper right side of the page.
Post back as to what you think of it.

Oh yeah they offer two options as to download source (after you press the button) and I went with the slower 8pecxstudios as opposed to sourceforge.

https://cyberfox.8pecxstudios.com/cyber ... rsion-x64/
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Hi OT
Gave it a try.
Will pass - would not import my FF bookmarks.
Only gave option to import IE..
Didn't seem any faster to me.
Looks like a decent browser, but will stay with FF for now.

But always good to know that there is something else out there.

Thanks
NNA
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Hi OT
Gave it a try.
Will pass - would not import my FF bookmarks.
Only gave option to import IE..
Didn't seem any faster to me.
Looks like a decent browser, but will stay with FF for now.

But always good to know that there is something else out there.

Thanks
NNA

No worries everyone has their preferences. :)

FWIW I had no problem with bookmarks. I simply signed in to Firefox Sync (it's in Cyberfox too) and everything showed up where its always been. Didn't even bother importing anything.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

I just tried Dolphin on my galaxy S6 and immediately started getting "Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network" from google on my PC. I'm too lazy to research why, I went back to good old slow and crashy FF. Also Xmarks doesn't appear to be free --- I like free.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

DANSPEED wrote:I just tried Dolphin on my galaxy S6 and immediately started getting "Our systems have detected unusual traffic from your computer network" from google on my PC. I'm too lazy to research why, I went back to good old slow and crashy FF. Also Xmarks doesn't appear to be free --- I like free.

Not sure why you were getting messages, but I do know that with half a dozen different places to sign in from I often get things from google or FF sync notifying me that I signed in from somewhere different. Happened today because I wiped a hard drive and upgraded it's outdated Linuxmint 14 to the latest 18.1 so I generated messages during the setup phase.

Pretty sure I didn't pay for xmarks, but I did pay 99 cents for something recently, I can't quite recall what at the moment. I'm a lastpass premium user though so it's possible I got it free since it comes from the same people. I just checked and it is free.

I will add however that I find if I like an app and it has ads, I will upgrade to the premium version if there is one, just so I don't have to put up with the spam.

All I know is this is the first time ever that using my smart phone for browsing hasn't been an irritating experience, and this is my third smart phone, three year plan on the first, two year on the second, so over five years of frustration.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I use Microsoft EDGE and have not used Chrome or Firefox for a year or so.
It is faster than IE, scrolls better, better security, HTML5 implemented. Has handy features like a reading mode and note taking etc. No ActiveX and BHOs. I don't have to update multiple browsers using one browser exclusively. It is not available on older versions of windows or any other platform in which case I use firefox or safari.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
cliffdiving
Fledgling

Post by cliffdiving »

How long are we talking here... seconds ? minutes? to load? happy wife happy life :biggrin:
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

cliffdiving wrote:How long are we talking here... seconds ? minutes? to load? happy wife happy life :biggrin:

lol Well, usually in this situation it's in the range of milliseconds, sometimes a few seconds. Not worth fussing about, IMHO - not over personal preference. (options / GUI / addons / etc.)
Your bias suits you.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

It's always been a game of leapfrog. By the time you find out that Edge doesn't have all the extentions you need, Chrome has fixed it's resource hog issues, only to find out the Firefox is now more private then all of them, only to then hear that Edge has improved their plugins support, only to hear that Chrome is now the most secure, only to then realize that Firefox can download Youtube videos, then you find out that Chrome can too with an extension, then Edge seems so much faster, but with Chromes new compression methods, much less data is used when on LTE, so then it's the clear winner in data resource savings, and then you just get lazy and run the latest of everything because then you can't go wrong, and you are then caught in an endless upgrade cycle of never being satsified because you know the competitor has just one-upped you, and that know-it-all cousin, is going to brag about safari next time he's over for the holidays, only to realize that the nerd running Tor broswer at the coffee shop has you all beat hands down.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thank you forum, I no longer feel bad for sticking with chrome all this time.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

So I finally got around to getting Cyberfox loaded and running and synced.

Seems like a decent browser that fixes a couple of recent problems added by FF.
But in reading the notices posted by the developer, it is now in End Of Life.
Will be cancelled at the end of the year.
Unless someone takes it over.
Original developer has health issues.

Will have to see what comes along next.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I'd been using Cyberfox and quite liked it, but yes I got that EOL notice so switched to Waterfox for a bit.

Waterfox kept giving me "not responding" issues so I've settled on Pale Moon. It's quite peppy and hasn't caused me any issues at all.

From what I read it doesn't work with all Firefox extensions, but it works with the three I use so I'm okay with it.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

It's pretty hard to beat Chrome and LastPass.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”