Favorite Browser

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Favorite Browser

Post by Bsuds »

Lately I have been frustrated with how slow some websites load. News sites that I go to have so much info loading that it takes awhile before trying to scroll up and down the pages is even an option.

I used Firefox for the longest time but switched to Chrome because it was supposed to be faster but it was no better for this issue.

So my next choice to try is Opera. Not only does it have a built in Ad blocker but also a free VPN (which I have not tried yet). To say the least I am impressed so far. (2 days of use) There is very little if any scrolling hesitation on the pages I was having issues with! It might be a keeper.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Favorite Browser

Post by GordonH »

I've always used Safari, never I'd any issues.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I don't have any Apple products so have had no opportunity to use it.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Always use Firefox with good success. But like the idea of free VPN. Might give it a try! :up:
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Depending on what I'm doing:

Pale Moon
Chrome (portable version)
Tor browser
Tails
Your bias suits you.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

how old is your computer...whats the speed of your internet...which websites are you going to...

that could also affect the speed especially if you said that its no better from one browser to another. I use Firefox...been using it since Netscape ended
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Symbonite wrote:how old is your computer...(2 years. I5) whats the speed of your internet...(Telus 50) which websites are you going to...(as I said some News sites do this)

that could also affect the speed especially if you said that its no better from one browser to another. I use Firefox...been using it since Netscape ended

I understand all those things affect the speed but when it happens on several of my computers but not with the new browser installed then I suspect the browser. Too much crap trying to load on some of the websites and has been happening for a while.

Opera has a built in Ad Blocker and I think that is what helps on those sites that are the issue. It's not that they don't load, they just do so slowly. I had an Ad Blocker extension added to all the other browsers as well. Except edge which didn't allow extensions.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Which ad blocker are you using.....so that I make sure I dont use it! :D
I use adblock plus without any issues as you have described. I use chrome and firefox.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I'm using Cyberfox on my PC and Dolphin on my smart phone.
I've played with a lot of different browsers on my phone and Dolphin just seems to work the best for me. I find it much faster than Firefox was and with the Xmarks extension it still syncs with my PC no problem.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

Be aware that Opera not only makes use of the same rendering engine as Chrome, but that it is owned by a Chinese company now, and that their VPN goes thorough Chinese-controlled servers. As such, please consider that VPN highly suspect.

Anything based on Chrome will have privacy-infringing features, as it tends to be linked with the Google ecosystem (which is very privacy hostile these days and takes all control out of your hands). Unless the browser you choose clearly avoids these features, you might want to avoid anything based on Chromium/Chrome.

Firefox will be having some major changes in the next few versions, including moving to a per-tab engine system which should radically improve performance, security and stability.

The normal Firefox has DRM enabled and to avoid this user-hostile feature (DRM is Defective By Design) you need to either find the DRM-free version of Firefox or move to a 64-bit version such as Waterfox. Waterfox has also neutered many privacy-infringing features such as automatic Pocket inclusion.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

According to M$ Edge is safer than Firefox and it blocks 21% more socially engineered malware.

rekabis wrote:Be aware that Opera not only makes use of the same rendering engine as Chrome, but that it is owned by a Chinese company now, and that their VPN goes thorough Chinese-controlled servers. As such, please consider that VPN highly suspect.

Interesting. Last time I checked Opera still sucked. I use FF.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Just use Chrome. It's the best.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

forum wrote:Just use Chrome. It's the best.

If you read the original post thats one I was having trouble with and I am not having any issues with Opera so far.

Time will tell. I'm not trying to get anyone to switch, I'm just posting my observations.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

This thread compelled me to do a little experimenting and I must say that using Cyberfox along with the uBlock extension makes navigating this place a whole lot more enjoyable experience. Feels twice as fast as regular FF without an ad blocker.

I was always told too many extensions screws up browsers, so for that reason alone I'd avoided ad blockers, but now that I've tried uBlock there's no going back. No wonder there's always been issues loading this place when there's upwards of 30 ads on some of the pages.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Old Techie wrote:No wonder there's always been issues loading this place when there's upwards of 30 ads on some of the pages.

There's ads on this site? lol

I like the sync feature with FF although I'm finding master password doesn't work so well with android.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”