Computer Repair.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Computer Repair.

Post by Ken7 »

Anyone know of a computer repair tech who doesn't charge a arm and a leg??

I found INFECTED on services here. Anyone use any of these persons? Brian seems reasonably priced.

PM is you have a negative... post if you have someone and were happy with services.

Thanks.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Computer Repair.

Post by Bpeep »

"Forum" on this forum does tech work.
Chat with him.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I used to work for an online tech company. Cleaning a computer of any infection is based on how good the individual tech is rather than the company reputation. Some companies have a fixed rate other by the hour. It may or may not cost an arm and leg depending on that. Depending on the complexity of the issue, it can take 1 hour or 3 hours. Ya' never know.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I always recommend a "Nuke and Pave" approach to virus infections.

A little more work, but you're 100% sure every remnant has been removed and you get your system rebuilt "fresh" in the process just like it was when you powered it up for the 1st time.

OP, sounds like you've got some recommendations. PM me if you are looking for another, I know a couple of very honest techs who'll do this type of work and charge less then they probably should.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

You pave paradise and you end up with a parking lot :-)
It is a necessary evil sometimes. At YTO I ended up paving ~3 machines in the years I was there.

I use Acronis software to make an image of my disk. I can always return to what I had just in case the disk dies or crashes or it needs to be very restored. I shiver thinking about dealing with all my software tools that need to be registered.

Paving needs a good tech and you need all your device drivers re-installed, etc. You may end up with a machine that does not behave exactly as it used to especially if there are manufacturers utilities that don't make their way back in, or what-ever.

Either way, anything is better than being infected :-) It is also a good excuse just to get a new computer ;-) So, now you know, don't go to 'THAT' website again.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Ken7 wrote:Anyone know of a computer repair tech who doesn't charge a arm and a leg??

I found INFECTED on services here. Anyone use any of these persons? Brian seems reasonably priced.

PM is you have a negative... post if you have someone and were happy with services.

Thanks.

Ken7. What do you consider a reasonable price to get rid of your problem?
kevcol99

Post by kevcol99 »

Is that for a "roghin" or a "finish"?
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

Jlabute wrote:I use Acronis software to make an image of my disk. I can always return to what I had just in case the disk dies or crashes or it needs to be very restored. I shiver thinking about dealing with all my software tools that need to be registered.

:up: ... Excellent advice! I like Macrium Reflect. Even the free version has great features including encrypting images. I make a new image about twice a month or before some major update or iffy install and I make sure my system is clean first, no point imaging errors and viruses! I store about four images on a external drive dumping the oldest image. I have Macrium Reflect booting PXE via my web server so I can restore my system diskless. With Macrium Reflect you can even browse an image in Windows and restore a file or folder. I have so many tweaks, hacks, patches and registry modifications I wouldn't know where to begin on a clean install if my system got infected or my hdd died. Years ago my computer got infected so badly I had to nuke it, lesson learned! Daily file/folder backups are great too but you just can't beat restoring your system to before the crash or infection.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

A Chromebook should be a consideration. You'll spend less time maintaining your computer. There's nothing to really maintain.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I don't think "Chromebook" is the answer to everything!
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Old Techie wrote:I don't think "Chromebook" is the answer to everything!

No it isn't. But I would invite people to try one.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

forum wrote:A Chromebook should be a consideration. You'll spend less time maintaining your computer. There's nothing to really maintain.

And if you know nothing about Linux you'll spend no time maintaining it! [icon_lol2.gif]
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

DANSPEED wrote:
forum wrote:A Chromebook should be a consideration. You'll spend less time maintaining your computer. There's nothing to really maintain.

And if you know nothing about Linux you'll spend no time maintaining it! [icon_lol2.gif]

Your comment makes no sense. Was it sarcasm?

Have you used ChromeOS before? Something tells me you're uneducated in ChromeOS.
DANSPEED
Übergod

Post by DANSPEED »

forum wrote:Your comment makes no sense. Was it sarcasm?

Have you used ChromeOS before? Something tells me you're uneducated in ChromeOS.

Perhaps ... If I didn't like ChromeOS what other OS could I install on a Chromebook?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It seems that a Chromebook needs the internet to work properly so unless you are connected 24/7 it's not the best choice.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”