Computer Repair.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
forum
Guru

Re: Computer Repair.

Post by forum »

Bsuds wrote:It seems that a Chromebook needs the internet to work properly so unless you are connected 24/7 it's not the best choice.

Yes, it's an online device. But they have the ability to work offline if needed. But when are we offline?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

forum wrote:Yes, it's an online device. But they have the ability to work offline if needed. But when are we offline?

We just got back from a Cruise and spent almost 3 weeks with very limited access.
I wasn't prepared to spend $300US for 2 weeks internet on ship.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Why would you need an offline computer while on a cruise? I'm curious.

Chromebooks can work offline if you really need to update your journal on your cruise.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

forum wrote:Why would you need an offline computer while on a cruise? I'm curious.

Chromebooks can work offline if you really need to update your journal on your cruise.

I take lots of pictures and like to view them, sort them and delete the ones that are blurry etc. Also for backing them up. That would be difficult with a Chromebooks limited storage. I'm not saying they won't work for many people but they are not for everyone.

One would be perfect for my wife who only does Facebook games and e-mail though.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Your wife should come here and see what you're up to.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Bsuds wrote:
forum wrote:Why would you need an offline computer while on a cruise? I'm curious.

I take lots of pictures and like to view them, sort them and delete the ones that are blurry etc. Also for backing them up. That would be difficult with a Chromebooks limited storage. I'm not saying they won't work for many people but they are not for everyone.

One would be perfect for my wife who only does Facebook games and e-mail though.

When you take your photos they are on the SD card in the camera. You take the SD card out of the camera, and put it into the Chromebook. There are no storage issues. You shouldn't be keeping all your photos backed up on the laptop. That's bad practice. A Chromebook will autosync them to their servers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

forum wrote:
When you take your photos they are on the SD card in the camera. You take the SD card out of the camera, and put it into the Chromebook. There are no storage issues. You shouldn't be keeping all your photos backed up on the laptop. That's bad practice. A Chromebook will autosync them to their servers.

I know all that and have been using/building computers and taking digital/film photos possibly before you were even born. If I like to keep copies on my HD as well as on the SD card then that is my choice. How many times have you read about someone losing a camera with "All" there photos on it? I know someone who has an expensive DSLR but has no clue how to get his pictures transfered to his laptop. (The live among us and are allowed to breed)

I do not want them backed up in the "Cloud".

I have had cards go bad in the past and like to back up as much as possible. I have all my photos copied in several locations so there is very little chance of a catastrophic failure.

I just don't see a Chromebook as a viable option for what I do.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Why don't you want to back up your photos in the cloud?

Every professional photographer I work with does this.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

forum wrote:Why don't you want to back up your photos in the cloud?

Every professional photographer I work with does this.

There are legal issues as to who owns data stored in the cloud and I have lots of storage so why take any chances.

But the main reason is I choose not to.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

What are the legal issues?

Services such as Google and others make it very clear that you own the data, not them.

For $10/month why would you not want unlimited data storage?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

forum wrote:What are the legal issues?

Services such as Google and others make it very clear that you own the data, not them.

You might want to do a bit of research on that. Because your data very possibly is on a Data Bank in another country their laws can take precedent. It is a very grey area. Either way as I said I have more than enough storage and I don't need it nor do I want it. Enough said, that's my choice.

As well as why would I pay for something I don't need! That $120 buys a lot of hard drives over time.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I've done the research regarding data. There are lots of white papers on the matter. You own the data.

$120/year for unlimited storage can't be beat long term. Especially if you account for all the software that comes with it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

forum wrote:I've done the research regarding data. There are lots of white papers on the matter. You own the data.

$120/year for unlimited storage can't be beat long term. Especially if you account for all the software that comes with it.

Yes you own the data but that doesn't stop someone from accessing it or stealing it.

$120 can be a lot when you are on a fixed income and when it's not needed.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

forum wrote:What are the legal issues?

Bsuds wrote:You might want to do a bit of research on that. Because your data very possibly is on a Data Bank in another country their laws can take precedent. It is a very grey area. Either way as I said I have more than enough storage and I don't need it nor do I want it. Enough said, that's my choice.

As well as why would I pay for something I don't need! That $120 buys a lot of hard drives over time.

I'm with you on that.

If a person feels the need to have a cloud it's not hard to build your own, and then you and you alone determine who gets access to your data. You also aren't on the hook for a yearly fee, or a service that lures you in with free storage, then once they have you force you to pay monthly or yearly to keep it.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Are you talking about setting up a NAS?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”