Smart phone application permissions

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
What_the
Übergod

Smart phone application permissions

Post by What_the »

Screenshot_2017-03-12-12-39-10.png
Have you taken the time to read the app permissions before down loading? IPhones are user friendly and don't appear to offer data usage stats or permissions (just click yes) while android does. Android doesn't appear to offer web data logs the way Apple does.
While im sure both do in technical reality, both appear to not be user friendly for monitoring.
For example- when pressing install for Apple, there is no bubble warning of what the app is allowed to do within one's Apple id or device, however Android does.

Both systems are vulnerable to attack by the unscrupulous, most notably in the form of applications. While apple may have fantastic anti viral/malware, their subsidiaries may not, or are not known as evidenced by various patches and updates.
(If you're going to ask me for links I won't necessarily be forth coming. If one has to ask then one is already behind the curve. No condescension or ego, I'm far from expert and only know what I do from exhaustive hours of research and reading from my own experience of identity theft and cyber jacking)

Ive literally gone through every setting one by one (as a gen x-er who grew up with computers and games from a young age, though not specifically interested in tech and code) in both Samsung and Apple phones/platform/OS I was flabbergasted at my vulnerability to malicious attack; to which I was and still am a victim.

The following are screen shots of an app on my current Samsung phone. Notice what it is allowed to do within my google and wireless accounts.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-03-12-13-38-14.png
Screenshot_2017-03-12-12-39-26.png
Last edited by What_the on Mar 12th, 2017, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Re: Smart phone application permissions

Post by What_the »

Screenshot_2017-03-12-13-39-49.png
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-03-12-13-39-32.png
Screenshot_2017-03-12-13-39-42.png
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Attachments
Screenshot_2017-03-12-13-38-20.png
Screenshot_2017-03-12-13-38-26.png
Screenshot_2017-03-12-13-38-32.png
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

I'm not some techie or programmer, I can utilise my devices well, this post is fore fronting app permissions and what we allow them to do- again for example :
Where and when a picture was taken.
OS used/version
GPS
Frequently accessed sites.
History
Contacts.....
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

These are the castanet Samsung/Android app permissions one must accept to download the app.
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-03-12-12-39-26.png
Screenshot_2017-03-12-12-39-00.png
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

As a rule I never download any app that has permissions .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Jflem1983 wrote:As a rule I never download any app that has permissions .

Agreed.... Now that I know. However as you've duly noticed on your own accord how many apps reprehensibly take advantage of those that don't, and subject themselves to data mining, surveillance, and theft.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Have you noticed what permissions you've granted just by using your device? That virtually all default and programmed stock "apps" have access to every bit of data on you're phone?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Yes it is creepy . I held onto a blackberry for a long time after everyone switched . Still sometimes wish I never went to android . Spyware junk all of it . I download very few apps
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Lol yes. Creepy isn't the word I'd use though. I've had my almost entire online personae hi-jacked and why I created this thread.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

The only apps I've installed on my device are for travelling - airlines, hotels, Expedia and Starbucks - thats it. No games, no programs, no webpages.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Why so many permissions for the castanet app

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Facebook apps can be just as bad - accessing all kinds of info.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

This reminds me of the "scarediness" that occurred when people in the 90s had misconceptions about "browser cookies" ... the number of threads about "cookies are evil and spying on you" was ridiculous.

Firstly: apps need certain permissions to accomplish specific functions .. usually functions that typically are the reason for downloading apps in the first place. The mobile OS ensures that app don't abuse those functions and limit their reach. This is controlled by their app id, or bundle id, depending on OS. "com.companyA.app" does not have access to "com.companyB.otherApp" unless you've gone through numerous steps to circumvent these restrictions.
Secondly: these 5-8 word permission descriptions are generic to provide a high-level overview of what they're doing... going into tech details on the specifics is way too cumbersome for the average user.

So, taking these 2 into account, when something says "modify or delete contents of your USB storage", that is still limited to the scope of the app and usually is just the cache for downloading info for better offline viewing. When something says "take pictures and videos" is because there's some function in the app that allows for this as a feature : ex: in Facebook you can take a pic to upload directly to an album or as part of updating your status. "edit your text messages" is, again: some functionality in the app allows for sending out SMS. At the same time, one can deny permissions to the app, but it also means functionality will be hindered.

What_the wrote:These are the castanet Samsung/Android app permissions one must accept to download the app.

From where is the app being installed ? I just tried it from GooglePlay and there was no restrictions to download. Looking at permissions, I have not enabled "Phone", "Storage", or "Your Location" so those features just won't work, but the app is still installed and I'm able to open and run it.

Jflem1983 wrote:As a rule I never download any app that has permissions .

So you just use your phone for calls and SMS then?

What_the wrote:Both systems are vulnerable to attack by the unscrupulous, most notably in the form of applications.

If it was the case that attacks are done so easily by simply installing apps, given the prevalence of phones and apps, don't you think we'd hear hear more cases of malicious attacks??

What_the wrote:While apple may have fantastic anti viral/malware, their subsidiaries may not, or are not known as evidenced by various patches and updates.

What subsidiaries?

What_the wrote:The following are screen shots of an app on my current Samsung phone. Notice what it is allowed to do within my google and wireless accounts.

Is the paranoia about "google and wireless accounts" because of the mention of "read Google service configuration"?

What_the wrote:If you're going to ask me for links I won't necessarily be forth coming. If one has to ask then one is already behind the curve. No condescension or ego, I'm far from expert and only know what I do from exhaustive hours of research and reading from my own experience of identity theft and cyber jacking

No condescension or ego, but are you familiar with what the "AllShare Cast Dongle" app actually is?

Also, no condescension or ego, but my occupation helps define the curve ...
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

Dizzy1 wrote:The only apps I've installed on my device are for travelling - airlines, hotels, Expedia and Starbucks - thats it. No games, no programs, no webpages.

So only spyware apps

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”