Mobile app?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
What_the
Übergod

Mobile app?

Post by What_the »

When do we get an app for forum's ?
I've got to be serious. Castanet forums is ridiculously behind the curve. Most of us contribute from our phones....for at least five years. Minimum. Been doing so since I joined in 2009.
Great that you've figured out classifieds, but seriously? Desk top version?
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Mobile app?

Post by Jflem1983 »

Well personally I won't download any app that requires any permissions . Castanet regular app has a million permissions . So I won't download it . If they had a forums app . It likely would need control of my microphone and camera . As well as location data and who knows what else. It's creepy . They could do better
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Jflem1983 wrote:Well personally I won't download any app that requires any permissions . Castanet regular app has a million permissions . So I won't download it . If they had a forums app . It likely would need control of my microphone and camera . As well as location data and who knows what else. It's creepy . They could do better

Preaching to the choir bro lol. Honestly I started a thread about permissions a while ago. Nobody gave *bleep*. Even tho they gave permission to access to contacts, numbers, usage, ability to change settings, texts, email ...The whole she bang. Been a victim, I know what "they" can do.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

What_the wrote:Most of us contribute from our phones....

Not so sure about that. I have never contributed from my phone and never will.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Well personally I won't download any app that requires any permissions . Castanet regular app has a million permissions . So I won't download it . If they had a forums app . It likely would need control of my microphone and camera . As well as location data and who knows what else. It's creepy . They could do better

I talked with our app developer about this. The number of permissions asked is about 5 or 6. This is due to how Google handled permissions in Android at the time our app launched and it was out of our control. Our developer said that some improvements to the Android permissions system have been made since then and we hope to include those improvements with the next release of our Android app.

Troy
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

What_the wrote:When do we get an app for forum's ?
I've got to be serious. Castanet forums is ridiculously behind the curve. Most of us contribute from our phones....for at least five years. Minimum. Been doing so since I joined in 2009.
Great that you've figured out classifieds, but seriously? Desk top version?

The Castanet Forums uses third-party software, so that's why you're seeing it being "behind the curve". Looking at our stats for our forum users, phones aren't the majority.

The Classifieds was created by our own staff, so it's significantly easier to integrate into our own app. If/when we do integrate the Forums into the app, it probably won't have all the features to start with. I see some improvements being made on the web-side of things to make it more phone friendly well before the app has all the Forum functionality.

Troy

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”