Windows 10 Creators Update

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Windows 10 Creators Update

Post by TylerM4 »

It's simple to do. Yes, takes lots of hours - of you doing something else while it's being ripped. Cost for NAS to store a few hundred DVD's is only a couple of hundred dollars.

But hey - if you want to continue storing piles of DVDs and dealing with DVD drive issues, while also not benefiting from having a SAN in the home - that's up to you. Optical media is a thing of the past. You'll have to ditch them eventually or convert.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I personally convert my vinyls to digital. IDK what y'all are whining about. [icon_lol2.gif]
Your bias suits you.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

If no ones said it yet - back your :cuss: up before you do the update.

You might come out unscathed but i cant tell you all how many people we've seen in for recovery after the "upgrade".
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

TylerM4 wrote:It's simple to do. Yes, takes lots of hours - of you doing something else while it's being ripped. Cost for NAS to store a few hundred DVD's is only a couple of hundred dollars.

But hey - if you want to continue storing piles of DVDs and dealing with DVD drive issues, while also not benefiting from having a SAN in the home - that's up to you. Optical media is a thing of the past. You'll have to ditch them eventually or convert.

Seems as though any sort of permanent storage is a thing of the past. Not many seem to care much for ongoing maintenance and the trouble of saving anything to magnetic media either, lol. I wonder if holographic storage has a future. People don't seem to consider a means of storing family photos for future generations. Is everything to be online? What do we do in 50 years when we die, do our disks also die? Do we hand down our flikr and facebook passwords when we die?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Jlabute wrote: Do we hand down our flikr and facebook passwords when we die?

My life insurance company provides a booklet in which a person can record all such information to be held with the LW&T.

So, yes; it looks like that's where this is going. I don't much care for it, so I'm beginning to print my photos, and put them in albums.

THE HORROR!

Let's look at it this way, what happens when someone with an agenda disables access to our own data? It is still worthwhile to maintain some control of our own affairs. I read hardcopy books; therefore, some political entity would have no reason to think I'm a threat based on my interests.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Jlabute wrote:Seems as though any sort of permanent storage is a thing of the past. Not many seem to care much for ongoing maintenance and the trouble of saving anything to magnetic media either, lol. I wonder if holographic storage has a future. People don't seem to consider a means of storing family photos for future generations. Is everything to be online? What do we do in 50 years when we die, do our disks also die? Do we hand down our flikr and facebook passwords when we die?

Removable media changes a lot. But the digial formats don't change much - it's our ability to read the removable media that becomes a problem. Once the data has been consolidated into a single location it's easy to convert if/when required. That's the beauty of digital media - copying doesn't degrade the quality. Neither does converting unless you want to add compression at the time of conversion.

AS to handing down passwords. The answer is YES! That's the future. In fact - those services you've mentioned already have established processes for family members to acccess the data after a death.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kgcayenne wrote:so I'm beginning to print my photos, and put them in albums.

We have boxes of those in the basement. Some are so old we have no clue who the people are.
Supposedly relatives pre 1900. So please put names on the photos for your future relatives.

:topic:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

You know what happens when you lose all your data?

You start over. Simple.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I read an article yesterday warning people not to install the update until your computer allows it. In other words don't go looking for it. This lets Windows decide that your computer and Windows are compatible. One issue they are having is with Bluetooth compatibility and until they fix it Windows won't load on some computers.

So just wait for it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Has anyone here received the upgrade (automatically) yet?

If you have what are your thoughts on it?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I don't notice a dang thing.

Alternately, I need a video card because LRCC 2016 (upgraded last week) is not as smooth when soft proofing.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Couple of minor tweeks. Most people won't notice any differences.

Microsoft is really trying to get everyone to use their new Edge browser. :cuss:
BCfromBC

Post by BCfromBC »

It installed two days ago, and its been hell ever since.
Cant open settings.
All windows apps from store non functioning with error message explorer.exe class not registered.

Tried about 30 fixes from the net but none worked.
Tried rolling back to previous version, but wiped all my restore points but one.
So went back to previous version, and the same problems as above.
Cant get to windows update to see if any fixes available.
Restored back to Creators Version, all the same but hoping for something to come along to fix this.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Sounds like you need to do a "clean" install of windows 10.

I hope you have windows 10 creator edition on a thumb drive. if so, install from that. Then do the normal windows update followed by installing your programs.

And once again, use macrium rellect to take an image of your drive C. Once you have it saved, to a drive other than drive C, it is a simple process to restore it and be back up and running again in 15 or so minutes.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
BCfromBC

Post by BCfromBC »

thanks kelownaman for the advice.
I have backup disks for win 7, can I do that and then update?
I cant find a free version of win creator and ms wants to charge for a new one. I got mine free at the time.
Thanks

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”