Windows 10 Creators Update

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Windows 10 Creators Update

Post by kelownman »

If you want the latest update and you want to install it, go here

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... pdate-here

otherwise you can wait for windows update to get it for you ;)

The advanced sizing of text and other items settings has been removed/relocated
Capture.jpg

To find a work a round, go here
http://winaero.com/blog/title-bar-text- ... s-10-1703/

You might want to download Winaero Tweaker to change things in the Advanced Appearance settings. A link is on the above link page.

In particular

-Icons (which changes the size and font of your desktop icons), because I am old and text size is important, I changed the font to 10 and bold.) This setting also changes the browser bookmark bar, on chrome at least, to something more readable.

If you find other annoying changes, post them here?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Windows 10 Creators Update

Post by kgcayenne »

Heavy mistrust. What will go wrong with this one? Last time, we lost ability to play DVDs.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kgcayenne wrote:Heavy mistrust. What will go wrong with this one? Last time, we lost ability to play DVDs.

LOL, last time I lost Win 10 completely! This time I'm hoping to get it back.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

kelownman wrote:The advanced sizing of text and other items settings has been removed/relocated

To find a work a round, go here
http://winaero.com/blog/title-bar-text- ... s-10-1703/

You might want to download Winaero Tweaker to change things in the Advanced Appearance settings. A link is on the above link page.

In particular

-Icons (which changes the size and font of your desktop icons), because I am old and text size is important, I changed the font to 10 and bold.) This setting also changes the browser bookmark bar, on chrome at least, to something more readable.

If you find other annoying changes, post them here?

I'm quite miffed that some rocket scientist thought it a good idea to remove that advanced text setting, to be replaced by the simplistic setting that makes everything bigger or smaller.

I specifically just change the size of menus and tooltips to something more readable, but don't need icons and whatever else made bigger.

Every time they ask me for feedback I complain about that change. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Creators update was a huge improvement for enterprise customers/business. Not much new/better for the average home user.

These updates aren't optional anymore :( You can delay, but eventually MS cuts you off and you no longer get security patches, etc.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

TylerM4 wrote:These updates aren't optional anymore :( You can delay, but eventually MS cuts you off and you no longer get security patches, etc.

Is that specific to Windows 10?

I upgraded to V10, back when MS first started pushing freebee uploads. I gave it a good try, but eventually deleted it and went back to V8.1, which I really like. I suppose the day will come that they'll stop supporting it, too.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

OldIslander wrote:
TylerM4 wrote:These updates aren't optional anymore :( You can delay, but eventually MS cuts you off and you no longer get security patches, etc.

Is that specific to Windows 10?

I upgraded to V10, back when MS first started pushing freebee uploads. I gave it a good try, but eventually deleted it and went back to V8.1, which I really like. I suppose the day will come that they'll stop supporting it, too.

Yes, specific to Win10.

Microsoft made big changes with regard to upgrade cadence in Win10. They're publically stated that there will be no Windows 11. Instead, they'll go to a model of "ongoing regular big updates" the creators update being the most recent example. You must be on the most recent update, or the previous update to receive support and security patches.

Things get complicated here as Microsoft has introduced a complicated model of multiple update streams/versions of the Win10 OS (Current Branch, Current Branch for Business, Long term service bulletin, etc). Which I don't want to get into - but simply stated "You must have the newest big upgrade or 1 version behind to receive security updates and support from Microsoft".
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

kgcayenne wrote:Heavy mistrust. What will go wrong with this one? Last time, we lost ability to play DVDs.

Use VLC...much better for every type of video.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Ready, set, block! Windows 10 Creators Update arrives
Ongoing list of bugs in Win10 Creators Update

Woody knows his stuff :up: Keep up with his 2 online outlets for all Windows update information, and similar such Windows-related things.

https://www.askwoody.com/
http://www.infoworld.com/blog/woody-on-windows/
Your bias suits you.
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

I haven't seen someone load a DVD into a computer for a long time.

Is there some place I can go to see that?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Our house. Daughter unit had a slight compulsion to acquire an unreasonable quantity of DVD movies (some blu ray as well), we are well-stocked.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

kgcayenne wrote:Our house. Daughter unit had a slight compulsion to acquire an unreasonable quantity of DVD movies (some blu ray as well), we are well-stocked.

Ah. Now's a good time to teach her how to rip DVD to disk, convert to a modern codec/compression (I suggest H.264), and transfer to network attached storage!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

TylerM4 wrote:
kgcayenne wrote:Our house. Daughter unit had a slight compulsion to acquire an unreasonable quantity of DVD movies (some blu ray as well), we are well-stocked.

Ah. Now's a good time to teach her how to rip DVD to disk, convert to a modern codec/compression (I suggest H.264), and transfer to network attached storage!

I thought about doing that at one time, but then I got to thinking about how often movies are rerun, then about how the next thing is 4K, then about how pointless it all seems, when there's inexpensive services such as Netflix, and I shelved the idea.

I've spent countless hours simply converting my CD library to digital, and still haven't finished, so the thought of doing that with Movies too just doesn't appeal to me at all. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

TylerM4 wrote:

If, she's a nerd. Easier to just marry one.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

The 'countless hours' thing.... and the cost of additional storage make me think their current state is juuust fine. (big NEF files are already chewing up storage)

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”