Recommendations for New PC Build

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Recommendations for New PC Build

Post by WalterWhite »

Did a few searches through the previous topics, and couldn't find much relating to locally built desktop computers. Looking for recommendations on who to contact regarding building a new computer. Photo editing is a major priority, looking to maximize components for running LR and PS CC. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Recommendations for New PC Build

Post by TylerM4 »

WalterWhite wrote:Did a few searches through the previous topics, and couldn't find much relating to locally built desktop computers. Looking for recommendations on who to contact regarding building a new computer. Photo editing is a major priority, looking to maximize components for running LR and PS CC. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

So your most demanding task will be photo editing?

2D photo editing is something that even a basic PC should have no problem doing nowadays. Min specs for Photoshop should be all you need. Generally - It's not until you get into video or 3D editing that you need to worry about PC performance.

What exactly are you looking for reccomendations on? Spec? Manufacturer? Or just suggestions for what's currently on sale that would do the job?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I went with a Certified Data machine from London Drugs (no sponsor bloat ware), it has an i7 Skylake processor, 1TB hard drive (I may at some point get an SSD for the OS), it came with 8GB RAM, but I immediately added another 8GB, and I can give it 16GB more if I want. I will be considering a dedicated video card at some point. It has a 650W power supply, and a roomy motherboard for future upgrades. I paired it with an IPS monitor and use ColorMunki calibration to get accurate colours relative to ambient light.

I can run LR CC smoothly... I absolutely love it for being snappy and quick.
Last edited by kgcayenne on Apr 28th, 2017, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Newegg, NCIX, Tiger Direct

To name a few. It's probably where most places get their parts anyway.

If nothing else it would give you and idea of what it should cost.

If you get the parts it's not that difficult to put one together.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

TylerM4 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:Did a few searches through the previous topics, and couldn't find much relating to locally built desktop computers. Looking for recommendations on who to contact regarding building a new computer. Photo editing is a major priority, looking to maximize components for running LR and PS CC. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

So your most demanding task will be photo editing?

2D photo editing is something that even a basic PC should have no problem doing nowadays. Min specs for Photoshop should be all you need. Generally - It's not until you get into video or 3D editing that you need to worry about PC performance.

What exactly are you looking for reccomendations on? Spec? Manufacturer? Or just suggestions for what's currently on sale that would do the job?

Lol - there's nothing basic to photo editing anymore :) Lightroom has become a huge memory hog, and to use both LR and PS at the same time is simply not possible. I currently have a 5 year old ASUS gaming platform with 4Gb RAM and Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2 Ghz - and if LR is in use the rest of the pc is basically at a standstill. Even after shutting down LR the system takes about 10 minutes to fully get back to what I consider standard operating speed. If a web browser is open, LR pretty much comes to a standstill. Previous versions of LR performed fairly well, but with each new release the reaction time of my pc got less and less. It's at a point now where it's infuriating. Greatly appreciate the suggestions. What I was specifically after is recommendations for a custom build locally.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Bsuds wrote:Newegg, NCIX, Tiger Direct

To name a few. It's probably where most places get their parts anyway.

If nothing else it would give you and idea of what it should cost.

If you get the parts it's not that difficult to put one together.

Thx Bsuds - I'm familiar with NewEgg and Tiger Direct. Looking for recommendations of someone/company locally doing custom builds.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

kgcayenne wrote:I went with a Certified Data machine from London Drugs (no sponsor bloat ware), it has an i7 Skylake processor, 1TB hard drive (I may at some point get an SSD for the OS), it came with 8GB RAM, but I immediately added another 8GB, and I can give it 16GM more if I want. I will be considering a dedicated video card at some point. It has a 650W power supply, and a roomy motherboard for future upgrades. I paired it with an IPS monitor and use ColorMunki calibration to get accurate colours relative to ambient light.

I can run LR CC smoothly... I absolutely love it for being snappy and quick.

Lol - I truly hope one day to be able to use LR and the words snappy and quick all in the same sentence!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yeah, I would do 8GB ram minimum. Perhaps even the new Rizen processor from AMD. All squeezed in to a little nano-itx form factor. Almost doesn't matter what you get so long as it is new with a new processor :-)
Last edited by Jlabute on Apr 28th, 2017, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I would boost his RAM to 16G first. 4G is not nearly enough and is min specs for Windows these days.

Could be a cheap fix and if it doesn't work he can still sell his old box for a good price.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Just so this doesn't get too far off track, again, not so much worried about what's going into it, as where I can get it built locally by someone competent and reliable.

What I'm considering for the build:
2x8Gb RAM
525Gb SSD boot
2x2Tb HD
GT730 w/2Gb vcard
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

How much are you looking at spending?

You might check at Wytek on Dolphin I think.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:How much are you looking at spending?

You might check at Wytek on Dolphin I think.

1735 Dolphin #136 :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

WalterWhite wrote:Just so this doesn't get too far off track, again, not so much worried about what's going into it, as where I can get it built locally by someone competent and reliable.

What I'm considering for the build:
2x8Gb RAM
525Gb SSD boot
2x2Tb HD
GT730 w/2Gb vcard

If you have someone build it, then you will know what parts are inside and what drivers you'll need. I always consider this the best way to go :-)
525GB just as a boot drive is quite large. Not sure if you are interested in saving money :-) Some GT730 are 64b as opposed to 128b so go for the 128b. I would probably skimp in some areas and upgrade the video card. 750 GTX perhaps. Do you need 2 x 2TB? Are they mirrored or in any form of RAID? Or is one for offline backups? Did you pick a processor?

http://www.ncro.ca/

These guys on Cooper road build machines too.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I know this is late, but this site is a great tool for folks looking to build their own computer, and perhaps others will find this post & it'll prove useful. Poke around there a bit. I've used it, and found it a great place to peruse parts & relevant reviews, as well as price checks. Best part is you can save lists and it will check compatibility for you, and it'll even alert you when a part on your list drops in price, things like that.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/
Your bias suits you.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Interesting site. I've also used cpubenchmark.net to get an idea of the best bang for the bux of processor to pick. There is also a gpubenchmark.net. I've been considering building a new machine based on the AMD rizen 5 1500x and a micro-atx mobo. The rizen can deliver similar performance to The I7-7700 and $100 less. Nice to have AMD back in the game.

This would be cool beyond belief.
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... se-as-ram/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11209/int ... formance/4

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”