Recommendations for New PC Build

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Recommendations for New PC Build

Post by rekabis »

kgcayenne wrote:1TB hard drive (I may at some point get an SSD for the OS)

I use a rather nifty trick to leverage both the SSD and the spinning rust drives in my own system.

• I take the original drive with the OS, and if necessary trim the installation so that the space used is considerably less than the size of the SSD (about 50% or less). By trim, I mean back up user data - files and stuff - onto something external.
  • Then I clone the original drive over to the SSD.
  • Once the clone has been confirmed successful, I reformat the old drive to a single partition and put it as my D:\ drive.
  • I then manually create those directories that would be inside my user profile directly on the D:\ drive, and move all the data from those folders onto their new D:\ counterparts.
  • I log out and into a temporary account (I just temporarily enable the Administrator account), delete the relevant folders that are inside my user account and make symlinks with the same name to the folders on D:\. It's best not to be actively logged into the account you are modifying because while you are logged in Windows “locks down” those directories so they can’t be deleted. And they need to be deleted because the symlinks need to replace them, and the symlinks will need to have the exact same name so that Windows will interpret the symlinks as actually being the original folders.
  • When I log back into my main account, the symlinks make the system think that it still has folders like Documents, Pictures and Videos in my user account, but instead of actually being inside my user account they're actually on the root of D:\.

This allows me to save stuff to, let's say, Documents, but instead of being on the SSD inside C:\Users\[MyName]\Documents, it's actually on the old drive as D:\Documents. The Symlink fools Windows with a special type of shortcut meant for directories. You get all the benefits of the SSD for stuff that matters - booting Windows, loading programs, etc. - and the benefits of the old drive for capacity and storage.

I go further than above and actually have my entire user account on spinning rust, but that is actually more difficult to do. Moving over just the basic data folders such as Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music and Videos is often enough for most people because they save to these directories by default. And you always have D:\ if you want to save stuff in a generic way.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Quite the process!

Symbolic links are indeed useful.

I typically just rely on folder redirection for something like this. I find it integrates into the OS better and is easier to manage. Can redirect all users on the PC with a single settings, etc.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732275(v=ws.11).aspx
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Is increasing the allocated RAM to the onboard video from the BIOS adequate for Adobe CC (laggier than LR 5.7), or should I be adding a dedicated GPU? If the latter, 2 or 4 GB?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kgcayenne wrote:Is increasing the allocated RAM to the onboard video from the BIOS adequate for Adobe CC (laggier than LR 5.7), or should I be adding a dedicated GPU? If the latter, 2 or 4 GB?

Does this help answer that.. https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2122549
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Not really considering I barely understood what was being said, and then I realized they were talking about Premier. I'm not using video editing software just yet. That doesn't mean this new language will not come in handy at some point, though.

I'm just looking for one of the following answers:

1. Increase your on-board RAM allocation, buy another speedlight instead.

or

2. Just get a 4GB video card and stop wasting time waiting for the slider movement results to appear.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Then read here

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/upgrades-w ... rformance/

Ram is probably the cheapest way to go.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I've got 16GB already and can add another 16, I'm wondering if (after reading that article) moving my OS and programs on over to an SSD, as discussed earlier in this thread, is a better option even than a GUI.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

A SSD will give you the most performance bang for the bux even if you have a slower than average CPU. GPU memory won't help you much especially with built-in video. I wouldn't add more RAM if I had a slow computer with 16GB, I would look for alternatives. Maybe it's time for a new PC ;-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You could try the SSD and if it doesn't help then it can always be moved to a new PC later.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I've got the i7 Skylake processor, and have now read others are hacking on Adobe for the way they have CC using resources, and this is coming from folks with $4-5k custom computers.

An SSD certainly won't hurt. The last shoot netted >20GB of RAW files. Storage might become an issue.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The Intel i7 skylake is a generation old and some models/speeds which there are many, are slower than i5s. 20GB is a lot of data and editing large graphic files needs fast storage and processing. I would think fast storage would give the most benefit if swapping to disk a lot, hard to know exactly what the software is doing.

If you want the fasterestestest storage available that would cause guys to drool over your computer, intels new optane SSD is based on new technology and is much faster than standard SSD drives today. It is not realistic to recommend it, but it will soon be available for consumers, and in larger capacities. Otherwise, a large non-optane SSD would be awesome.

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-optane-dc- ... r-storage/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Okay, I'm completely off on what processor I've got, and I was wrong about my power supply! That's what I get for failing to acknowledge how freaking fast technology inventory changes and getting my info from going to the vendor site and looking it up that way. (purchased July 2016)

Annnyway... older processor, yet: i7-4790 3.6GHz (4GHz), only a 400W power supply. Limitations, limitations, limitations??
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You need one of the new AMD Ryzen 16 core and 32 thread processors, 32G RAM, 1T SSD, and a Radeon GeForce 1080 graphics card.

There, I fixed your problem.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Your i7-4760 at 3.6GHz is no slouch, it is actually not so bad so you're probably doing fine without spending an arm and leg. The biggest bottleneck is storage speed maybe.
You can get a comparative list here:
http://cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Your CPU is in the list getting closer to the top. Question is does the software prefer more RAM, or does it use storage a lot?
cliffdiving
Fledgling

Post by cliffdiving »

if i7 then needs ssd...don't cheap out...!!!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”