Is Driver Booster safe?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Is Driver Booster safe?

Post by Merry »

I've been having problems with my laptop freezing up on shutdown, and I think it might have something to do with having some outdated drivers.

I'm considering downloading and running Driver Booster, but am always worried about downloading stuff from the Net. Has anyone already downloaded this and, if so, did you run into any problems?

http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Is Driver Booster safe?

Post by Bsuds »

I have not used it myself but it appears to be safe. I have heard some of these types of programs install maleware on your computer so be very cautious.

Which windows version are you using and have you let it check for updates?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 07b?auth=1

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... s-hardware
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

merry
I downloaded Driver Booster, it didnt appear to be unsafe. I ran it and it found "problems" with various drivers. It also found ransomware issues that it alleges it can fix. I clicked on fix for both the identified driver issues, all saying they were outdated...and the ransomware issue.

There didnt appear to be any problems after I rebooted the computer. I also shut down the computer and then started it up again with no issues.

However, I doubt your issue will be fixed by Driver Booster (I could be wrong though)

Have a read from this webite... https://www.Castanet.com/forums/discussions ... -properly/

Your issue MAY be fixed by doing one of the suggested fixes. Here is one in particular that MIGHT resolve your shutdown problem.

I searched all over the internet for way to solve the problem of my laptop not shutting down all the way since loading a fresh version of Windows 10. You recommendation to do the following WORK FOR ME and I no longer have to wait for the shutdown and then hold the power button:

2. Right Click: Windows icon in the lower-left corner of the task bar
3. Select: Control Panel
4. Select: Trouble Shooting
5. Under System and Security Select: Fix Problems with Windows Update
6. Select: Trouble Shoot as an Administrator

I didn't realize I had a "windows update" issue because updates were being installed but the troubleshooter found and solved an issue and ever since then I have been able to shutdown completely with no help of the power button. NICE JOB!!

To avoid such issues, you might want to consider backing up your system, after a fresh installation of your operating system, using programs such as TrueImage or Macrium Reflect. It takes an image of your hard drive, C drive, for example, and when you find yourself with issues you can simply restore your computer back to the way it was. It normally takes 10 to 15 minutes to restore, depending of how large your C drive is.

Macrium Reflect used to have a free version of their program for version 6, but it appears they have removed it for version 7. I have found a link for version 6 though.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

good luck! ;)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have to add that I am very leary of these "Fix all" type programs and would never use one myself. I will use google to try to find a fix for any problems I am having. That seems to work best for me.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I wouldn't waste my time installing a program that if it's like all the others, makes up issues on your PC to freak you out and make you spend money.

Often times they say they have newer drivers which in many cases are not the right ones.

Best way to do this is to manually go and check for updates to any programs you have installed.

If it's something like a graphics driver go directly to Nvidia's site and see what the latest version is.

You can use your device manager to update drivers for any hardware installed on your PC.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

My preference is to load drivers manually. Find your laptop on the vendor support page and download the appropriate stable drivers... rather than installing software to do it for you.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Snake oil
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Jlabute wrote:My preference is to load drivers manually. Find your laptop on the vendor support page and download the appropriate stable drivers... rather than installing software to do it for you.

kelownman wrote:you might want to consider backing up your system, after a fresh installation of your operating system, using programs such as TrueImage or Macrium Reflect. It takes an image of your hard drive, C drive, for example, and when you find yourself with issues you can simply restore your computer back to the way it was. It normally takes 10 to 15 minutes to restore, depending of how large your C drive is.

Macrium Reflect used to have a free version of their program for version 6, but it appears they have removed it for version 7. I have found a link for version 6 though.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

This is all you need to know, really. And Windows Update is OK for drivers, too, but you should still always manually check online direct from your computer's vendor site(s), periodically. (motherboard, GPU, etc.) You can always find that specific info online. I have a separate bookmarks folder just for all my driver update needs, and just poke thru it every so often. Piece of cake. example You can find similar pages for Intel chipset drivers and such things; many vendors (like Intel, here)also offer their own free driver detection apps.

Just stay away from any 3rd party crapware. They are snake oil, at best! :up:

[edit] LOL while making that example link, I took a peek for my own video card and saw they released an updated driver for it yesterday. My personal habit is to check just after Patch Tuesday.
Your bias suits you.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Thanks for all the info folks.

Bsuds - I use Windows 7 and yes I do check regularly for updates. Ever since the Windows 10 debacle though, I now only download those updates marked "Security" so as not to wind up with stuff I neither want nor need. I also run Malwarebytes and Norton Internet Security daily (sometimes more than once a day).

kelownman - despite not having a Windows update issue, I still followed your advice and tried the "Fix Windows update" troubleshooter, but it didn't solve the issue, my Windows still often sticks when in shutdown mode. When this happens I have to do a "hard" shutdown by holding down the "off" button; but I don't like doing that because it's not good for the system. My computer also "freezes" up more regularly than it should when I'm surfing the net, and when I googled the issue I was led to the idea of it being a "driver" problem. But I don't know how to update all my drivers individually, which is why I was considering using Driver Booster. But, like Bsuds, I'm very leary of downloading "fixit" programs like that, without checking first to make sure its safe (hence my original post).

Woodenhead - when I followed your link to the NVIDIA page and clicked on the "smart scan" icon, it told me the scan only works when you have Java installed. And I thought we'd all been warned not to install Java because it's not safe. What do you think?

In the meantime, I'll keep searching the Net and see what I can find out.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

merry
This link gives you instructions on how to do a manual driver update

https://www.howtogeek.com/233115/the-on ... n-windows/

there is this one also, but i do not know for a fact if driveeasy is safe
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/ho ... windows-7/

I am not sure why you haven't updated to windows 10, it is safe and similar to windows 7. It is also supported by Micro$oft while windows 7 is now not supported. I would suggest you do a clean install of windows 10, after you install and update windows 10 install your APPS and then take an image using that link from macrium for version 6 that I posted earlier.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how- ... 0-upgrade/

You might want to go to event viewer after your computer freezes or shuts down to see what might be the issue.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2 ... s-7-a.html

Some of the results are cryptic though so you will need to get a computer nerd to try to interpret the results and find a resolution to your issue.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I tried Windows 10 on my son's computer and hated it (found it too invasive for starters). Windows 7 works well for me, and does still receive updates from Microsoft (it's XP that's no longer supported).

Since my last post I decided to "bite the bullet" and download the latest version of Java, followed by the NVIDIA driver update.

I'll see how that works out, and if everything is OK I'll leave well enough alone for now. But if my problem persists, I'll then try downloading any other outdated drivers I find.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Merry wrote:Woodenhead - when I followed your link to the NVIDIA page and clicked on the "smart scan" icon, it told me the scan only works when you have Java installed. And I thought we'd all been warned not to install Java because it's not safe. What do you think?

Oh, I just choose my video card from the dropdown menus. (GeForce GTX 980) But I've never had issues with Java, either; it's just something else to keep updated. Anyway, the only time I've used a scanner for such a thing was the Intel one I linked, on an old computer. Worked fine. But if you know what individual components are in your computer it makes it easier (protip - keep a notepad file with a list of your components). Like, for chipset drivers most manufacturers offer driver downloads right from the product page. Here's mine. :]
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”