Computing life lessons

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Re: Computing life lessons

Postby Woodenhead » Jun 17th, 2017, 9:40 am

I don't agree with the first point (some of us nerds have more options than what you listed), but the rest are good. Perhaps the gaming bit is off, too, depending on your other computing needs. EG. if you do graphic design, your rig may essentially also be gaming ready.

The most important tidbit is backups. And one mantra I'd like to parrot is: RAID is not a backup solution. Too many people make that mistake.
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Politics without principle. Your bias suits you.
Woodenhead
Guru

Liked in: 824 posts

Re: Computing life lessons

Postby neilsimon » Jun 17th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Woodenhead wrote:I don't agree with the first point (some of us nerds have more options than what you listed), but the rest are good. Perhaps the gaming bit is off, too, depending on your other computing needs. EG. if you do graphic design, your rig may essentially also be gaming ready.

The most important tidbit is backups. And one mantra I'd like to parrot is: RAID is not a backup solution. Too many people make that mistake.

Yes, and backups aren't an alternative to RAID. Be both highly-available and catastrophe resistant.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 758 posts

Previous

Return to Computers, Science, Technology