Modern vehicles and gps

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Modern vehicles and gps

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#200363

The couples 2015 Nissan Titan still has not been found? :135:

Honestly, I though all newer vehicles had a GPS component and they would be easy to track. Or is that in the future?

Thank God the dog was found!

The Russell's stolen truck, a 2015 Nissan Titan, is still missing.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Modern vehicles and gps

Post by Dizzy1 »

Its not the future, its here but its just not a manufactures option in most cars let alone standard. You can buy aftermarket systems. There are many new cars out there without any form of satellite communication (GPS, Sirus, OnStar, etc.) let alone a tracking component. I can see the benefits but there are also lots of privacy issues as well.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The only one I'm aware of (I'm sure there may be more) is GM's Onstar and there is a fee to be paid.

https://www.onstar.com/ca/en/home.html
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:The only one I'm aware of (I'm sure there may be more) is GM's Onstar and there is a fee to be paid.

https://www.onstar.com/ca/en/home.html

BMW Connected Drive, VW CarNet - they're options on some vehicles and require a monthly fee. They also offer some other neat things like unlocking/locking your doors via your phone, vehicle diagnostics, etc.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

It's not a common feature. Mostly because everyone is concerned about the privacy implications. Consumers don't want "big brother" tracking them, manufacturers don't want to be responsible for the data and the inevitable lawsuits when that data is compromised.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Dizzy1 wrote:BMW Connected Drive, VW CarNet - they're options on some vehicles and require a monthly fee. They also offer some other neat things like unlocking/locking your doors via your phone, vehicle diagnostics, etc.

From a search on the website it doesn't appear to be available in Canada. I wasn't offered anything like that with my Tiguan either.

For info the GPS in mine (2015) is not worth diddly squat!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Not sure what is and is not available in Canada to be honest. The Mrs. doesn't have it in her Jetta.

TylerM4 wrote:It's not a common feature. Mostly because everyone is concerned about the privacy implications. Consumers don't want "big brother" tracking them, manufacturers don't want to be responsible for the data and the inevitable lawsuits when that data is compromised.

Add to that, these services are also subscription based.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

Dizzy1 wrote:Not sure what is and is not available in Canada to be honest. The Mrs. doesn't have it in her Jetta.

Add to that, these services are also subscription based.

Ford has the Ford Pass App. No fees:

https://www.fordpass.ca/en_ca/app.html? ... AqnU8P8HAQ
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

^^^ Good to know

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”