Has PHOTOBUCKET committed suicide ?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Has PHOTOBUCKET committed suicide ?

Postby george~ » Jul 15th, 2017, 4:50 pm

I find it difficult to understand how a company who has given something away for free it's entire life can suddenly turn into an evil extortionist ransom seeking monster who is completely screwing everyone over, I have a cheapie free proboard website with hundreds of photo's which is now totally ruined, along with a family history website and dozens of other websites with my content that are now all useless. a dozen years worth of work GONE !

https://www.facebook.com/photobucket/

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40492668

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photob ... edded-web/
george~

Liked in: 24 posts

Re: Has PHOTOBUCKET committed suicide ?

Postby Dizzy1 » Jul 15th, 2017, 7:47 pm

I could understand if you're using there services to post your images on eBay, etc. to sell something and make a profit for yourself. You could argue, that you're using their services for commercial purposes and thats quite normal to have to pay for that. If you're making a profit using their services, they should be making a profit off of you.

Was it a wise move on their behalf? Probably not, but if they end up offering a much better, more professional service - it could work. I haven't used PB in years, theres many more free sites out there to choose from.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

george~ likes this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4436 posts

Postby Loed » Jul 16th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Just move your stuff to a different site(google, MS, imgur, self host, god forbid you PAY to use a service...).

The way they did it was very shady and irresponsible towards their users, but really, free can't be free forever...

Old Techie likes this post.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 70 posts

Postby Woodenhead » Jul 19th, 2017, 2:19 am

That free site you love today will be the photobucket of tomorrow.
Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Politics without principle. Your bias suits you.
Woodenhead
Guru

Liked in: 872 posts

Postby Old Techie » Jul 19th, 2017, 1:05 pm

For the minimal cost involved these days, I don't know why more people don't just host their own stuff on a personal cloud.
"Fools multiply when wise men are silent!" - Nelson Mandela
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2934 posts

Postby OldIslander » Jul 19th, 2017, 2:22 pm

The recent PhotoBucket tactic is strange. I'd quit using them a couple of years ago because the site was so infested with popups and ads, that without paying the minimum, it was unbearable to use. I think they also slowed the site down, so unless you had a paid account, it was like molasses in January. But they are not a charitable organization, and if their new plan works, good on them.

I use a few others and have some Google "My Drive" space which works really well.

I often wonder how some of the photo hosting sites make their money. For example, one really good one is Imgur. When you go to their site http://imgur.com/, you don't see any ads. Once you register and sign in, you still don't see ads. When you open an image, you will then finally see a small unobtrusive ad or two. Apparently there is a paid membership if you want to upload hi-rez images and be totally ad free. Photo linking is permitted from the free account. From what I read online, using this business model, they are highly profitable.
"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote."
OldIslander
Fledgling

Liked in: 329 posts

Postby fvkasm2x » Jul 24th, 2017, 11:51 am

Old Techie wrote:For the minimal cost involved these days, I don't know why more people don't just host their own stuff on a personal cloud.

Because free is still better than low cost.

Until of course you get screwed lol
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 982 posts

Return to Computers, Science, Technology