Would you be so kind?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Would you be so kind?

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

Would any of you technologically-inclined people be so kind as to recommend a laptop to me?

I only need a basic unit. Something that will do the whole internet, word document, and file storage thing. It'd be nice to play games every now and then, too. I do not know much about computers and I'm still kind of stuck in the 90's as far as electronics go, so please keep my ignorance in mind. :132:

So, yeah. I'd appreciate some advice, especially on finding a reputable dealer. Preferably in the Central Okanagan.

:D
I am... the law!
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Would you be so kind?

Post by Jlabute »

I would probably take a stroll through staples or bestbuy and see what appeals to your budget. To do Internet, Word, etc and save your documents along with the occasional game doesn't take much of a laptop (depending on the game), but there is a minimum I would suggest:

i3 processor or better.
4GB RAM is ok, more is better.

What-ever the hard drive size is it doesn't matter, you likely won't fill it up. Any brand is good, Dell, HP, Acer, Microsoft Surface, Asus, etc... they will all be fine. Make sure the screen is easily readable and not too small for you. Make sure the keyboard is not too small for you or hinders you in any way. All laptops will have Windows 10 so the experience will be close to equivalent. If you don't know anything about how to use Word or Windows, some hours of tutoring would be very handy.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

The requirement for the odd game drives up the spec.

For an entry level person, I generally recommend going to a storefront vs ordering online. As such, I'd recommend this laptop to you. On sale until Aug 4th.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/del ... 89456.aspx?
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

Thanks for the help, guys. I will definitely keep the advice in mind when I hit the stores.
I am... the law!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

This one is not bad either but the Dell i3 is a bit better processor

https://www.staples.ca/en/Lenovo-IdeaPa ... CA_1_20001
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

As said TylerM4, the gaming can make a difference, but it depends on what kinds of game. There are lots of games out there that play well on even older hardware, and some modern games are going to tax even the most capable of laptops. If there were a couple of games you particularly like to play, that could help us get a better idea as to what it worth getting. Also, I wouldn't ignore Apples or Chromebooks as while they are both somewhat limited, and probably at opposite ends of your price range, they also have advantages.
Anyway, it is confusing out there, but if you want a second opinion on a laptop before you buy it, I'm sure we can offer advice if you post a link to it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ptolemy Soter wrote:Would any of you technologically-inclined people be so kind as to recommend a laptop to me?

I only need a basic unit. Something that will do the whole internet, word document, and file storage thing. It'd be nice to play games every now and then, too. I do not know much about computers and I'm still kind of stuck in the 90's as far as electronics go, so please keep my ignorance in mind. :132:

So, yeah. I'd appreciate some advice, especially on finding a reputable dealer. Preferably in the Central Okanagan.

:D

Curious to know if you bought a laptop and what did you buy. :D
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

Unfortunately, I'll have to delay for the time being. Not only am I a bit strapped for cash, but I'm still recovering from a concussion. I don't have the "mind" for it, I guess.

I'll check out the prospects in a month or so. :smt045
I am... the law!

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”