Apple iPhone X

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Apple iPhone X

Post by Glacier »

Just got my new phone....

iphonex.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Does anyone have the X yet. What do u think.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Does anyone have the X yet. What do u think.

A few business associates I have bought it - they absolutely love it.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped

The cellphone price insanity continues
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--11-.htm

Added: there are those who still lineup for latest Samsung or Apple cellphones.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Didn’t see this thread. I’ve had the X since it came out. Absolutely love it. It’s discontinued now in favour of the successor announced today
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yup, the SE and iPhone 6 too. The iPhone X discontinued after 1 year. I’m curious to see how well the facial recognition will work on the new phones. I don’t care what my iPhone 7 thinks, I’m gonna look.

Apple site lists the starting prices of the Xs and Xs Max at $1379, and $1519. Up to $1999 with 512GB. Add tax and a case and you’re looking at $2300. Holeeee freaking cellular Batman.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH wrote:
Added: there are those who still lineup for latest Samsung or Apple cellphones.

And how does this affect you?

Hint: It doesn't :135:
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Added: there are those who still lineup for latest Samsung or Apple cellphones.

OKkayak wrote:And how does this affect you?

Hint: It doesn't :135:

True it doesn't, I just find it hilarious
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Bought my first iphone. Just an old junker off Castanet. Quite difficult to use so far. Gonna stay with Samsung for now. Have it in my mind to cross over to Apple at some point though . Hows the facial recognition thing on iphonex. Is it annoying. Creepy. Or does it work really well ? Im impressed how well the old 6plus i bought still works
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I find iOS less intuitive than android. Although, I still use an iPhone just because. Yup, that’s the only reason. LoL. Higher resale value too, now I’m hunting for reasons. Really barely matters which you pick.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Jflem1983 wrote:Bought my first iphone. Just an old junker off Castanet. Quite difficult to use so far. Gonna stay with Samsung for now. Have it in my mind to cross over to Apple at some point though . Hows the facial recognition thing on iphonex. Is it annoying. Creepy. Or does it work really well ? Im impressed how well the old 6plus i bought still works

I have a friend who has iPhone 4, she says for what she needs it works great.

My phone is a very old Samsung flip phone.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I buy what's on sale, usually last generation. I got the Samsung S9 at Costco for $40 and it came with $300 of Costco store credits. My bill went up by $20 per month for 2 years or $480 so when its all added up it's only going to costs me $220. Great phone that takes amazing pictures (see Nice Weather thread) for a 7th of the price of the new iPhone. I like the newer phones but won't buy them until the price drops, and they always drop.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Poindexter wrote:I buy what's on sale, usually last generation. I got the Samsung S9 at Costco for $40 and it came with $300 of Costco store credits. My bill went up by $20 per month for 2 years or $480 so when its all added up it's only going to costs me $220. Great phone that takes amazing pictures (see Nice Weather thread) for a 7th of the price of the new iPhone. I like the newer phones but won't buy them until the price drops, and they always drop.

This is why i buy off Castanet. My plan is down to 60 or so a month. I do not want to upgrade into a 90 dollar plan. So i buy used phones. One time i bought a bran new one. Paid full pop. Up in Yellowknife. LOL.

The price of a phone is actually pretty cheap. For all they do.
Look at the cost of a new proxinity key for a Ram truck. 800 bucks. 500 US in the states.

Highway robbery for some of these gadgets. Phone isnt too bad. I find the cost of the plan is worse than the phone. That bill keeps coming. An extra 40 a month. Thats 500 a year. Could buy a good phone outright every year for 500 a year

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

My wife has the SE and I have the X. I guess that means together we have... :topic:

The reason the phones are so expensive is that they are miniaturized computers. I do not have an iPhone, but I do a KeyONE (Blackberry) that sells for $900 (I paid half that because I found it online for a discount). I use it every day for work, play, accounting, scheduling, taking pictures, posting on Castanet, etc. I have a keypad I can roll out, so it's just like using a computer in many respects, but much easier to pack around.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The bill of materials for the iPhone X has estimates around the $357 mark. Apple puts quite a large markup on their products. I think the iPhone Xs (more than $1300) and Xs Max (more than $1500) and will have a higher BOM cost. Apple seems to apply a 300% markup seeing the X is around $1000 or so.

The BOM for the iPhone 7 is about $220.

OLED screens, IP68 rating on the new iPhones, 7nm process yield, I am sure help boost the price up further.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”