PC versus Mac

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

PC versus Mac

Post by Merry »

I'm in the market for a new computer, and can't decide whether to buy a PC or a Mac.

I've always had a PC in the past, and am concerned I'll have difficulty getting used to a Mac. But I've heard that Mac's are less prone to viruses and am interested in that aspect.

What do the rest of your think? Any opinions regarding the pros and cons of each?

Thanks.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: PC versus Mac

Post by Bsuds »

Merry wrote:I've always had a PC in the past, and am concerned I'll have difficulty getting used to a Mac. But I've heard that Mac's are less prone to viruses and am interested in that aspect.

Mac get less virus's because there are less of them. They can still get them and you still need virus protection. Use smart surfing and don't click on anything your not sure of is the best bet as well as anti virus protection.

I think Mac's are overpriced and would stay with PC if that's what you are familiar with. As well as if you have paid programs that you use will it cost you more to get the Mac version?

When I was selling Laptops I could sell 2-3 Windows machines VS 1 Mac with similar specs. Mac's are also very expensive to repair if you have problems.

Do the research as to cost comparison and check the reviews. Stay away from extended warranty's as they just put money in the retailers pocket.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I agree with Bsuds.

I've never been able to justify the extra cost involved, and viruses have never been an issue for me on a PC.

I've also noted from observation that often times when a MAC did manifest problems, it would wind up being a paper weight, whereas a PC seemed to run a higher chance of being repairable.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Yes, mac are more expensive. The thing is I've never had to take any of my mac computers into any service department. My current desktop is 7 years old & runs as fast as it did when I took it out of the box in 2010.

like any purchase there is a learning curve

Added later: I never operate any of my computers without antivirus my choice is Avast for mac.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

In the rare event you need tech support, it won't be as available as much as PC tech support.
Lots of configuration options for PCs and I personally find them more easily serviceable.
MAC allocation table technology HFS+ is primitive compared to even NTFS which can lead to issues plus it has a 2040 bug which file dates can't exceed. There are pros and cons both ways probably. Get what you are most productive on ;-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jlabute wrote:In the rare event you need tech support, it won't be as available as much as PC tech support.
Lots of configuration options for PCs and I personally find them more easily serviceable.
MAC allocation table technology HFS+ is primitive compared to even NTFS which can lead to issues plus it has a 2040 bug which file dates can't exceed. There are pros and cons both ways probably. Get what you are most productive on ;-)

In 18+ years of using a Mac I've never once needed tech support. I'm not worried about 2040 since it's 22+ years away, who knows what home computer will look like by that time.
Thanks heads up though
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Jlabute wrote:In the rare event you need tech support, it won't be as available as much as PC tech support.

GordonH wrote:In 18+ years of using a Mac I've never once needed tech support. I'm not worried about 2040 since it's 22+ years away, who knows what home computer will look like by that time.
Thanks heads up though

Good for you but that's hardly any guarantee that someone else will fare the same way.

I know a real estate agent who loved his Apple products, and now has two MAC paper weights sitting in his office, while he uses a Surface Pro currently.

Often times when a MAC does manifest issues the whole thing has to be scrapped, while conversely on a PC there is a chance to patch things up and keep it going many times.

That's going from personal experience.

My personal PC's are all 10+ yrs old now, and with the exception of a hard drive failure, are operating perfectly fine. Granted I built them using premium products but they still cost less than Apple.

Unless someone has money to burn, I personally fail to see the attraction to Apple, when you can accomplish the same or more with a PC, and be using a product that is more mainstream.

Now one thing I will add is that I encourage people to not buy the cheapest PC they can get their hands on, because ultimately as with everything in life you get what you pay for. Often times when someone does compare PC to MAC and is complaining how their PC failed, what they don't tell you is they owned something like the Telus freebies that they used to give away to entice people to buy certain packages from them, and those were extremely cheap basic systems they got a volume discount on, and worth I'd say in maybe the $300 range.

Buy at least a midgrade quality PC if you can't build your own, and you should be fine.

My point here being that comparing a $300 basic PC to a $4000 MAC and then hearing people testify how wonderful Apple is, hardly makes for a fair comparison.
Last edited by Urban Cowboy on Nov 1st, 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

It's good you haven't needed tech support, although, many Mac users do require tech support just like PC users. I've been pretty lucky too with all my windows based laptops and PCs. Most newer computers of any type have much more reliable motherboards and components even within the last 5 years.
If avoiding viruses is your main concern, then most of the problem is avoided by being cautious and having backups. No AV software protects you 100%.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Gotta love those Surface Pros. I love mine.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You will always get the argument as to which one is better but is that worth the extra cost of a Mac?

I can (and have done) upgrade my PC as it ages by adding RAM and an SSD or even the CPU and Motherboard.
Not sure if you can do that with a MAC.

Either way have a look and make up your own mind as to what is best for you.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:You will always get the argument as to which one is better but is that worth the extra cost of a Mac?

I can (and have done) upgrade my PC as it ages by adding RAM and an SSD or even the CPU and Motherboard.
Not sure if you can do that with a MAC.

Some yes and some no, depending on what you are wanting to upgrade, but definitely nowhere near the level of PC's.

Bsuds wrote:Either way have a look and make up your own mind as to what is best for you.

Great advice Bsuds.

Everyone should weigh the pros and cons, and decide what's best for them.

I don't care what a person buys either way, as long as they are happy with it, but when asked, I will share my experiences, and preferences, and why I feel that way.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Mac - end of story.

After years and years and years of PC's and the headaches that go along with them, I simply had it with them, made the switch and ain't looking back.

In the years I've had my MacBook Pro - I've had not one single issue with it and it still runs as fast and efficiently as it did the day I bought it with literally zero maintenance. I can't say that I've ever experienced anything remotely close to that with a PC.

I have no interest in upgrading anything. I have zero interest in customizing my computer to have it run differently. I have zero interest in installing and maintaining a dozen programs to keep the computer running as it was designed to. I want to turn it on and use it - nothing more and nothing less - something I have yet to experience with a PC. For me, being able to turn something on and go straight to work is worth the extra money.

To the OP, I'd look at the Apple store and look at buying a refurbished Mac - they're completely overhauled and come with warranty, you can easily save yourself some money going that route.

But that's my personal preference :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ If they are so wonderful and never have issues, why on earth would there be "refurbished" ones available? [icon_lol2.gif]

Sorry but couldn't resist. You left the door wide open on that one.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Old Techie wrote:^^ If they are so wonderful and never have issues, why on earth would there be "refurbished" ones available? [icon_lol2.gif]

Good point. LOL
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If it's a new model the refurbished can be many things.

Open Box, demo's fro the stores, or minor problems that have been fixed.

Older models are most likely trade ins or left overs that never sold but can also be warranty returns.

These can be good buys as you pay less for them and many come with an as new warranty.

The newer spec models PC or Mac are well worth looking at if money is a concern.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”