PC versus Mac

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: PC versus Mac

Post by GordonH »

When looking to replace a computer, I will check on Ebay for new... buy now... no biding.
That were I got my last desktop even with shipping it was cheaper.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:When looking to replace a computer, I will check on Ebay for new... buy now... no biding.

That's always a possibility too and the only problem would be returning if it doesn't work properly.
That can be a hassle.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:When looking to replace a computer, I will check on Ebay for new... buy now... no biding.

Bsuds wrote:That's always a possibility too and the only problem would be returning if it doesn't work properly.
That can be a hassle.

As I've said I have never had issues with any of the Mac's I've purchased, can't say the same with the computers I use at work.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:If it's a new model the refurbished can be many things.

Open Box, demo's fro the stores, or minor problems that have been fixed.

Older models are most likely trade ins or left overs that never sold but can also be warranty returns.

These can be good buys as you pay less for them and many come with an as new warranty.

The newer spec models PC or Mac are well worth looking at if money is a concern.

Refurbished is supposed to indicate an item that manifested some sort of issue and was returned to the manufacturer to be brought back up to new specifications. That doesn't mean that stores necessarily stick to that definition but that's what it is.

Open box is precisely that, an item where the packaging has been opened and the seal broken, so it may have been a customer given the wrong product and thus returned it, or it could have been a display perhaps.

Nothing wrong with purchasing such items, it's saved me a lot of money over the years, and FWIW I've never had an issue with a refurbished or open box item that I bought.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Old Techie wrote:^^ If they are so wonderful and never have issues, why on earth would there be "refurbished" ones available? [icon_lol2.gif]

Sorry but couldn't resist. You left the door wide open on that one.

Bawhahahahaha! Good one :raspberry:

Seriously though - for me, Mac's are wonderful - they do exactly what I expect them to do. Are they perfect? Of course not, every and any product built by every and any manufacturer will always have lemons here and there. But refurbished doesn't mean there was something wrong with the machine in the first place. Lots of people trade their old Mac's in to Apple and upgrade for a newer model.

https://www.apple.com/ca/mac/trade-up/
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Old Techie wrote:Refurbished is supposed to indicate an item that manifested some sort of issue and was returned to the manufacturer to be brought back up to new specifications. That doesn't mean that stores necessarily stick to that definition but that's what it is.

https://www.consumerreports.org/electro ... ectronics/ ...

Only a small number of refurbs—about 5 percent, according to a 2011 survey by technology consulting firm Accenture—are defective.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/refu ... aptop-tips ...

Failures and defects account for a certain percentage of refurbs. According to a Consumer Reports Reliability Survey of 58,000 subscribers between 2010 and 2015, new Apple laptops fail at a rate of 7 to 9 percent per year, while Windows machine-failure rates hovered around the 15 percent range.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Failures and defects account for a certain percentage of refurbs. According to a Consumer Reports Reliability Survey of 58,000 subscribers between 2010 and 2015, new Apple laptops fail at a rate of 7 to 9 percent per year, while Windows machine-failure rates hovered around the 15 percent range.

I'm not attempting to get into a MAC vs PC peeing match here, but any time failure rate statistics are presented, it's prudent to also bear in mind how many of the items were manufactured and sold too.

My point being for example we know that there are many people who abuse products, so if you keep the percentage of abusers equal, and sell 1000 MAC computers, compared to say 10,000 PC's, naturally the failure rate of the PC's will be much higher.

There are far more PC's in use than Apple products so the failure rate statistics are to be expected.

All data needs to be viewed in the correct context.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Workplace computers are their own ugly beast, regardless of type. Ignore any such statistics/anecdotes referring to computers at work.

Additionally, the best antivirus is between the keyboard & the chair. It also happens to be the same place from which 95% of computer problems originate.
Your bias suits you.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Agree 100%. :up:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Old Techie wrote:
I'm not attempting to get into a MAC vs PC peeing match here, but any time failure rate statistics are presented, it's prudent to also bear in mind how many of the items were manufactured and sold too.

My point being for example we know that there are many people who abuse products, so if you keep the percentage of abusers equal, and sell 1000 MAC computers, compared to say 10,000 PC's, naturally the failure rate of the PC's will be much higher.

There are far more PC's in use than Apple products so the failure rate statistics are to be expected.

All data needs to be viewed in the correct context.

Point I was trying not to make is that defective computers represent a small percentage of refurbs.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Ive used both and currently running PC. I tried jumping on the overhyped Mac bandwagon about 5 years ago. All my Mac products are obsolete now because I cant use new programs with the old iOS. Ive never had a problem with my PC, and Im still running windows 7. Ive never had virius or crashing issues. I think most people that experience those kind of issues are due to user error. What I dont like about Mac is the constant updates, and how they want to control everything you do with your device.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

Merry wrote:I'm in the market for a new computer, and can't decide whether to buy a PC or a Mac.

I've always had a PC in the past, and am concerned I'll have difficulty getting used to a Mac. But I've heard that Mac's are less prone to viruses and am interested in that aspect.

What do the rest of your think? Any opinions regarding the pros and cons of each?

Thanks.

This is probably not the best place to go for unbiased advice, because mostly you’re going to get people trying to justify their (Windows) choices.

I switched to a MacBook Pro Retina three years ago because I wanted long battery life, an IPS display (gorgeous, easier on the eyes and far, far better viewing angles), a keyboard with backlighting that actual works and a strong chassis. All of those attributes were surprisingly hard to find in one Windows machine.

Macs are not overpriced. They’re priced in line with premium Windows machines. Also keep in mind that Apple regularly updates the OS, and those updates are free. I’m on my 5th. If you decide to sell your Mac three years down the road, there is a large market for used Apple products. Your Windows machine will be pretty much worthless.

The build quality of Apple products is miles ahead of anything else. The OS is modern, and isn’t going to slow down over time.

You won’t need to install virus software because the Unix-based OSX simply requires unauthorized software to jump through too many hoops to install itself on the machine.

If you decide to go with a Mac, buy AppleCare if you like, but don’t let a retailer talk you into a ridiculous (and expensive) extended warranty
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Gixxer wrote:Ive used both and currently running PC. I tried jumping on the overhyped Mac bandwagon about 5 years ago. All my Mac products are obsolete now because I cant use new programs with the old iOS. Ive never had a problem with my PC, and Im still running windows 7. Ive never had virius or crashing issues. I think most people that experience those kind of issues are due to user error. What I dont like about Mac is the constant updates, and how they want to control everything you do with your device.

Much like myself with the exception I'm running Win 10 Pro and Linux on my computers.

If I had the money to burn I'd probably have a MAC in the mix, but for me it's mostly always been a matter of cost for the same end result.

Of the products I've played with, the main thing I didn't care for with MAC was, I kept getting the feeling that Apple always wants to decide what's best for us, whereas I prefer making my own choices, thus having options available to me for upgrading.

I strongly agree that more often than not any computer problems users experience are generally attributable to the chair to screen interface. :biggrin:
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Gixxer wrote: What I dont like about Mac is the constant updates

What constant updates? My old PCs had more updates in one month then my Mac does in a year. One of the main reasons I jumped over to Mac.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Im talking about the iphone, and ipod with the constant updates. I hear people are complaining up the recent iOS Iphone update.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”