Windows update permission setting

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Windows update permission setting

Post by rustled »

Is there a trick to controlling Windows 10 updates? On older versions, I had it set up to ask permission before installing.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Windows update permission setting

Post by Urban Cowboy »

rustled wrote:Is there a trick to controlling Windows 10 updates? On older versions, I had it set up to ask permission before installing.

No things have changed from what we used to have.

When you go Settings>Windows Update look at the bottom of the center column and you'll see "advanced options" and that's about as good as it gets. It allows you to pause updates for like 35 days.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Which really sucks when a major update fails and your computer reverts to the last version.
Then it starts all over again.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

All those setting still exist.

I tell them to auto-install at 3am. That way they get installed and you don't get impacted.

Did you know that by default Win10 uses your PC and internet connection to send updates to other devices connected to the internet? You can set to just providing the update to other devices on your home network if you want. Sleezy buggers!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

TylerM4 wrote:Sleezy buggers!

I've been saying that forever but even more after W10. Still have 7 and hoping that 11 will be not as invasive. Not holding my breath though.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

https://www.askwoody.com/

^ Bookmark it, and check there for information regarding Windows Updates. Any bugs/issues will be posted there & talked about in-depth, or you can simply check the MS-DEFCON bit at the top to keep things simple; it'll let you know when it's safe (bug-wise) to update, or when it's imperative (security-wise) to do so right away.

Current update status:

MS-DEFCON 2:

Patch reliability is unclear.
Unless you have an immediate, pressing need to install a specific patch, don't do it.
Your bias suits you.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I use Ask Woody as well. Not updating this time. Noticed that MS tried to sneak the old 2664 update by me recently. Again trying to force me into something I do not want. W10 will update whether it's actually good for your computer or not. I won't drink their kool-aid.

one of us one of us one of......
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

JagXKR wrote:I use Ask Woody as well. Not updating this time. Noticed that MS tried to sneak the old 2664 update by me recently. Again trying to force me into something I do not want. W10 will update whether it's actually good for your computer or not. I won't drink their kool-aid.

one of us one of us one of......

Other than using the "pause" feature we don't have the option to stop an update do we?

I mean I see where putting it off for up to 8 days or so is an option but after that it still gets installed.

I liked the old "ask me" option, but don't see anything like that in my Win 10 Pro 1709 version.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Yeah I know, but I don't have 10 I have 7. Do not have to update anything I don't want. My 7 is rock stable from date of install when I built this 8-core beast many years ago. I rue the day when I will have to stop using 7 for my internet machine. Will have no worries keeping it running but for security updates not coming out the machine will end up being vulnerable. Until that day is forced on me I will continue to use a stable and more than adequate OS.
I do have sympathy for those that have problems with the forced updates and every time I hear one I am so glad with my choice not to upgrade.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

JagXKR wrote:Yeah I know, but I don't have 10 I have 7. Do not have to update anything I don't want. My 7 is rock stable from date of install when I built this 8-core beast many years ago. I rue the day when I will have to stop using 7 for my internet machine. Will have no worries keeping it running but for security updates not coming out the machine will end up being vulnerable. Until that day is forced on me I will continue to use a stable and more than adequate OS.
I do have sympathy for those that have problems with the forced updates and every time I hear one I am so glad with my choice not to upgrade.

Ahh OK that would explain it. Thought for a moment there I was missing something because they just install whatever they wish these days.

They borked my whole system a couple of months back. :cuss:

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”