Smart Thermostats.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Smart Thermostats.

Post by Glacier »

Someone is almost always home at my place during the day, so the best option for me is the thermostat that came with the house. I haven't touched it in a couple years (other than to change the time with the time changes). It goes way down at night, and comes on again at 6:50 am.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Then this isn't the thread for you. [icon_lol2.gif]
Your bias suits you.
spooker

Post by spooker »

vegas1500 wrote:
spooker wrote:Geofencing is a good thing ... nice for it to be able to work with the location of either my wife or myself ...

We went the Ecobee4 route ... it was the remote sensor that sold me on it since we have problems keeping different parts of the house the same temp ... and having Amazon Alexa built into it is great ... just tell it what you want and boom, it's done

I looked at those but never understood the sensor thing. If a room where the sensor is is cold, it still heats the whole house...be cool if it could heat individual rooms.....much more than a thermostat needed for that...lol

Think of it as a way to find a balance in an inherently unstable system ... if you have a "comfortable range" specified then you have a measurable differential between the two areas so the thermostat can try and find a fit that will keep your other space within the range while not letting the primary space go outside that same range ...

I'd love to have the ability to control the heating in my home like I used to have with commercial systems ... but to install automated dampers within my house just isn't cost effective ... though it'd be a hell of a fun project to build with a RaspberryPi
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Woodenhead wrote:Then this isn't the thread for you. [icon_lol2.gif]

I keep my house at +0.9C when I'm away. Take that "smart" thermos.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Hmmmm........ wonder if I can send my old dumb thermostat to school to make it smart? [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
spooker

Post by spooker »

Glacier wrote:
Woodenhead wrote:Then this isn't the thread for you. [icon_lol2.gif]

I keep my house at +0.9C when I'm away. Take that "smart" thermos.

Wow, you have a commercial chiller hooked up to your a/c? those summer electric bills must be through the roof... :biggrin:
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Glacier wrote:I keep my house at +0.9C when I'm away. Take that "smart" thermos.

I keep my thermos at coffee temperature. :bethecoffee:
Your bias suits you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I have one next smoke/CO detector, but the rest of my smoke detectors (that would be 2 upstairs and 2 in the basement) are 25 years old. I bet that with these "smart" units, they would start getting really whiny and annoying after 10 years so you'd have to fork over $700 every 10 years instead of like $150 every 20 years. In other words, it's $7.50/year versus $70/year. At almost 10 TIMES the price, is it really worth it to go Smart? I'm sure that the Nest owner, Google, thinks so. Chaaaaa-Chinnnggggg!
- Douglas Murray
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

RemindMe! 20 YEARS "Glacier's Bet"

(dammit, this works on reddit)
Your bias suits you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Woodenhead wrote:RemindMe! 20 YEARS "Glacier's Bet"

(dammit, this works on reddit)

Well, the instructions say that it notifies you when they need changing. That's annoying. The old style simply don't work when you press the button, which I pressed for the first time in 3 years, and it didn't work, so I got a Nest.

Oh, and I'm told you're supposed to have one in each bedroom, SCREW that! That would be 6 for my house plus one on the main floor and 1 in the furnace room. 8 smoke detectors is overkill in a house, at least 25 years ago the code said so.
- Douglas Murray
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Pressing a button is annoying, nobody does that. They should just use a Homer Simpson patented "everything's OK alarm" instead.

Your bias suits you.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”