Smart Thermostats.

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Smart Thermostats.

Post by Bsuds »

Best Buy had a good price for a Honeywell smart thermostat so I got one.
It works quite well and I can control it from my phone and tablet with an app.
It will even know when I leave the house and turn the temp down and then back up when I return.

Cool
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Smart Thermostats.

Post by vegas1500 »

They are cool. I went the nest route and love it. I recently installed 2 nest CO/smoke detectors and love the way they work together with other nest products. If they detect CO they shut down your furnace, or it can be set up to vent if they detect smoke. Very intuitive...
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bsuds wrote:Best Buy had a good price for a Honeywell smart thermostat so I got one.
It will even know when I leave the house and turn the temp down and then back up when I return.

Cool

How does it know you're not home? How much was it? Just on sale today?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Glacier wrote:
Bsuds wrote:Best Buy had a good price for a Honeywell smart thermostat so I got one.

Cool

I would think through the detection of your wifi or Bluetooth signal from your phone?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

l[/quote]
How does it know you're not home? How much was it? Just on sale today?[/quote]
I would think through the detection of your wifi or Bluetooth signal from your phone?[/quote]

The nest "learns" your lifestyle and then it when it detects no movement it will go into economy mode.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Glacier wrote:

Cool

Probably knows home owner is gone by monitoring the phone's location via GPS.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

[/quote]How does it know you're not home? How much was it? Just on sale today?[/quote]

Probably knows home owner is gone by monitoring the phone's location via GPS.[/quote]

Nope, usually when there's no movement for a certain period....for the nest anyway
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Cool
Glacier wrote:How does it know you're not home? How much was it? Just on sale today?

It uses the location GPS in the phone I believe. I don't have a data [lan on my phone so don't use that feature but I can turn it down whenever I have a WiFi connection. It's on sale till the 30th

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/Search/Sea ... l+Lyric+T5
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Your bias suits you.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Does use the phone's location, in conjunction with other sensors.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I leave my phone at home sometimes.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
spooker

Post by spooker »

Geofencing is a good thing ... nice for it to be able to work with the location of either my wife or myself ...

We went the Ecobee4 route ... it was the remote sensor that sold me on it since we have problems keeping different parts of the house the same temp ... and having Amazon Alexa built into it is great ... just tell it what you want and boom, it's done
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

spooker wrote:Geofencing is a good thing ... nice for it to be able to work with the location of either my wife or myself ...

We went the Ecobee4 route ... it was the remote sensor that sold me on it since we have problems keeping different parts of the house the same temp ... and having Amazon Alexa built into it is great ... just tell it what you want and boom, it's done

I looked at those but never understood the sensor thing. If a room where the sensor is is cold, it still heats the whole house...be cool if it could heat individual rooms.....much more than a thermostat needed for that...lol
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Much easier to just turn up the heat if you are cold, that's all the remote thermostat does. Unless it knows when you are not in that room then it would help.

Either way I like this one compared to my old programmable one. I really like the big display too. I needed help reading the old one and this one I can read from across the room.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Maybe, Bluetooth electric socks and underwear could save more money. Then you don’t need a geofence, and you can turn the Home temp down even more so long as you don’t have shivering tropical pets.

https://cozywinters.com/shop/heated-socks-3.html
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”