Confused......

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Confused......

Post by binky11 »

I don't know what comes up if my mom were to hit her playback options, but I am betting she has more than Realtek showing. I will get her to do this for me tomorrow, if she's not able I will do it myself when I go there on Wednesday. This seems to be the issue, most people have more than just Realtek showing under playback. When shaw came and hooked me up, I notice there is one HDMI cord going from the tv to the laptop and another one going from the tv to their arris digital box? I have tired switching these around, but didn't fix it. The playback screen doesn't seem to be recognizing the Samsung tv.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

It is possible the HDMI cable is the culprit as they are not all the same.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Hmmmm, I had one given to me, and I assumed it was not working right because after turning in the laptop after about 20 second the screen would go darker. Thinking there might be a short in it, as sometimes wiggling it would fix the problem. So I went out and bought a new one. Same problem. Now I'm wondering if it is the port the HDMI plugs into. Which I know can't be fixed, as that is what happened to my other laptop and is the reason I got this one. However it was not new either. Now I may have two laptops that work fine, but both may have busted HDMI ports. Because everything seems to be whacky, nothing is as it should be. Well I sure can't get yet another laptop, guess I could find out for sure by borrowing my moms or neighbours laptop just to check theirs out. Oh the joys!
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

It is doubtful it is cable nor the hdmi plug....too many people reporting the exact same problem... you just have to watch those videos until you find a solution...

OR

dare i say it... put windows 10 on the laptop and see if that makes things better...hdmi wise...

if you and your mom arent using the same TV then bring her computer to your place and see if it connects to the tv. and is she using windows 8 or 10?
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Mom was using Windows 8, switched to 10, it didn't make any difference as far as her getting her sound from the tv watching the laptop or tv. And on my previous laptop and tv I had no issues either. My old one was Windows 7, and my tv was not a smart tv which this one is. Even with headphones, corded ones, I have to keep switching it from tv to laptop depending on which I am watching. As I said, nothing seems to be as it should. I just can't figure out what's wrong. But once I find the issue, I have a feeling everything will work normal.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

binky11 wrote:Hmmmm, I had one given to me, and I assumed it was not working right because after turning in the laptop after about 20 second the screen would go darker. Thinking there might be a short in it, as sometimes wiggling it would fix the problem. So I went out and bought a new one. Same problem. Now I'm wondering if it is the port the HDMI plugs into. Which I know can't be fixed, as that is what happened to my other laptop and is the reason I got this one. However it was not new either. Now I may have two laptops that work fine, but both may have busted HDMI ports. Because everything seems to be whacky, nothing is as it should be. Well I sure can't get yet another laptop, guess I could find out for sure by borrowing my moms or neighbours laptop just to check theirs out. Oh the joys!

Yes messed up ports would certainly be a problem, especially if you are getting a response when wiggling the cable.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Try it on a different TV as well as try a different laptop on your TV.

That will help narrow it down a bit. (or just make it more confusing.)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

A few notes:

- HDMI does not pass through the audio receiver info. What that means is you'll never see something like "Samsung TV" to select. It'll just say the name of the audio controller/chipset build into the Laptop.
- Some Laptops and PCs don't have ability to output audio over the HDMI connection/cable. Many will output video only. You may want to research your laptop a little to see if it's even possible for that laptop to output audio over HDMI.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

I am thinking it might just be easier to hook up speakers to the laptop. This is all making me loopy. I just don't get why it works for my mom and not for me. And also for my brother. They don't have this issue. Even when watching something via their laptop the sound comes automatically from their tv speakers.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Try restarting your laptop with the cable all ready plugged in.

I have read that some laptops will not recognize the sound for the tv if you do not do it that way.

If that fixes it it might be the only way it will work and you will have to do it every time.

Also try googling the problem listing your make and model of laptop (TV as well) , Sometimes it's model specific and you will find fixes from people with the same issue.

I also read the some TV HDMI ports won't do sound. So if you have more than one then try a different port on the TV.
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Simple test is take your laptop to your moms and brothers and hook it up and see if it works. If it does... then it is your TV hdmi port that is messed up OR doesnt do audio through the hdmi. If your lappie doesnt work at their place then you know it is your laptop that is either too old to do hdmi, the hdmi port is toast, or you need to update the drivers for the hdmi.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kelownman wrote:Simple test is take your laptop to your moms and brothers and hook it up and see if it works. If it does... then it is your TV hdmi port that is messed up OR doesnt do audio through the hdmi. If your lappie doesnt work at their place then you know it is your laptop that is either too old to do hdmi, the hdmi port is toast, or you need to update the drivers for the hdmi.

We are assuming her Mom/Brother live close enough for her to do that. She also has not mentioned much of what she has tried at this point.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

I have been dealing with this for two months now. I could not begin to tell you everything I have tried. It all started with head phone issues three months ago. And my tech problems have escalated from there. From one problem to another. My brain hurts.
I ended up with corded headphone with an 18 foot cord! And believe me that wasn't even easy. Nobody in Kelowna had the proper adapter I needed and I had to get it from Amazon. Nor could I find anywhere in Kelowna that soLD the simple extension cord. Then it was still the wrong end, so had to order a different adapter. I wouldn't have minded all this if I was going to end up being able to use wireless headphones. So now, when I want to listen to the tv, I have to plus the headphones in the back of the tv, if I want to listen to anything on the laptop through HDMI I have to unplug the headset from the tv and plug it in to the laptop, and it's not easy to access the back of my tv. Nobody else seems to have to do this.
I just hooked up computer speakers this morning, at least I can listen to music from the laptop with decent sound. But at night when I want to use the headphones I still have to unplug the computer speakers and plug in the headphones. They call this progress? Sorry, I am so frustrated and frazzled with all this. I appreciate all you trying to help me, I really do. Life is getting busy suddenly, guess that's what happens two weeks before Christmas. I don't know that I have time to be running back and forth with laptops right now. Hey, I might grab my neighbours though, that's handier. I wish I could remember everything I have tried.......to tell you, but with having so many different issues for so long now, it's all just garbled in my brain. With hooking up the speakers this morning, well it's a partial fix. And might just have to do, for now anyway. But I know, I know, I just know something is not right lol.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”