47395
47555

UK to make internet a,right

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

UK to make internet a,right

Postby maryjane48 » Dec 20th, 2017, 10:38 pm

The UK Government has just announced that from 2020, high-speed broadband will be considered a legal right for all its citizens, meaning service providers must offer access to any person that requests it. The announcement follows a proposal from BT, the UK's largest telecommunications provider, to provide universal broadband coverage to all areas of the UK under a voluntary agreement. The Government


https://newatlas.com/uk-government-inte ... ght/52710/


We need this in canada . The big telecoms have gouged us enough

Queen K likes this post.
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17124
Likes: 10586 posts
Liked in: 2658 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 21st, 2017, 7:15 am

maryjane48 wrote:The UK Government has just announced that from 2020, high-speed broadband will be considered a legal right for all its citizens, meaning service providers must offer access to any person that requests it. The announcement follows a proposal from BT, the UK's largest telecommunications provider, to provide universal broadband coverage to all areas of the UK under a voluntary agreement. The Government


https://newatlas.com/uk-government-inte ... ght/52710/


We need this in canada . The big telecoms have gouged us enough



Lol. Why do we need this in Canada. Not one person needs the internet. It is a luxury and a convienience. Not a need
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN

vegas1500 likes this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2948
Likes: 4857 posts
Liked in: 1658 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Hassel99 » Dec 21st, 2017, 10:16 am

maryjane48 wrote:The UK Government has just announced that from 2020, high-speed broadband will be considered a legal right for all its citizens, meaning service providers must offer access to any person that requests it. The announcement follows a proposal from BT, the UK's largest telecommunications provider, to provide universal broadband coverage to all areas of the UK under a voluntary agreement. The Government


https://newatlas.com/uk-government-inte ... ght/52710/


We need this in canada . The big telecoms have gouged us enough




Who do you think is going to pay to install High Speed service to small rural communities and extend to very rural residences?


You are.

This type of plan will do nothing to reduce gouging and will increase prices, not reduce them


If you want real change to the Canadian Telecom/internet landscape send the CRT a letter asking them to consider allowing more competition in Canada.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
Hassel99
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3196
Likes: 897 posts
Liked in: 2606 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2012, 8:31 am

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 21st, 2017, 11:40 am

Hassel99 wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:The UK Government has just announced that from 2020, high-speed broadband will be considered a legal right for all its citizens, meaning service providers must offer access to any person that requests it. The announcement follows a proposal from BT, the UK's largest telecommunications provider, to provide universal broadband coverage to all areas of the UK under a voluntary agreement. The Government


https://newatlas.com/uk-government-inte ... ght/52710/


We need this in canada . The big telecoms have gouged us enough




Who do you think is going to pay to install High Speed service to small rural communities and extend to very rural residences?


You are.

This type of plan will do nothing to reduce gouging and will increase prices, not reduce them


If you want real change to the Canadian Telecom/internet landscape send the CRT a letter asking them to consider allowing more competition in Canada.



Lol. No kidding about rural. Can u imagine.
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN
User avatar
Jflem1983
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2948
Likes: 4857 posts
Liked in: 1658 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:38 am

maryjane48 wrote:

We need this in canada . The big telecoms have gouged us enough

:spitcoffee: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, mandatory high speed internet for all will bring the prices down :135:

Who do you think is going to pay for all that? You and me, the taxpayer. Yippie!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10465
Likes: 4257 posts
Liked in: 4848 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Loed » Dec 22nd, 2017, 8:41 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:Lol. Why do we need this in Canada. Not one person needs the internet. It is a luxury and a convienience. Not a need


Actually, these days a lot of basic interactions take place online. Even more so in the UK than here.

Banking, bills, job searching, etc...
This list goes on.

The internet is more than a luxury now. Just because YOU may not see it that way, doesn't mean it's not true.

This direction may not be the correct path, but it's the right idea going forward. Just like phone connectivity.

2 people like this post.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2723
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 72 posts
Joined: Jun 20th, 2005, 12:29 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Verum » Dec 22nd, 2017, 9:49 pm

Anyone who thinks that the Internet isn't rapidly becoming as important as indoor sanitation, is out of touch. It will be a necessity in so many ways, that life without Internet access will become increasingly difficult for anyone who doesn't basically live off grid. Not only that, it makes systems run much smoother when you can assume all potential users have Internet access. The increased efficiency, and productivity would far outweigh the cost of providing this, if we are sensible.

That said, we need workable solutions for Canada. That might mean investment in satellite based high-speed, high-latency Internet for those who live in remote areas. Additionally, if a house can be put on the electrical grid, it can almost certainly be put on some form of modest performance 24/7 Internet connection, at the same time. The fact is that with modest investment in technology, and some sensible technological direction, even Canada could have all citizens who want it to be online.

Since we are not usually forward looking in our policies, and too many people are stuck in the past with regards to the future increasing importance of the Internet, we will continue to let the rest of the World get ahead and reap the rewards.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

2 people like this post.
Verum
Board Meister
 
Posts: 693
Likes: 329 posts
Liked in: 528 posts
Joined: Oct 5th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Queen K » Dec 22nd, 2017, 9:53 pm

Agreed with MJ, Verum and Loed. With more and more applications to jobs, government services and many financial services going on the 'net, internet is rapidly becoming new need. Not an option.

Maybe "high speed" is a bit luxury, but dial up is essentially dead. Is there a happy medium? Or is social class going to dictate what kind of 'net you have in your house?
Terror Twins Inc. Catsumi and QK, at your disposal. We take Bitcoin. Applications to be our accountant and lawyer presently accepted.

maryjane48 likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 50156
Likes: 10162 posts
Liked in: 10840 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 22nd, 2017, 10:05 pm

Yes we all agree internet banking is convenient. It is not a need.

People survived about 25 million years without the internet. Get over yourselves. We do not need an even more over reaching liberal mess than we are already in
We don't reach for handouts we reach for those who are down . "Garth Brooks "

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
MAKE ALBERTA GREAT AGAIN
User avatar
Jflem1983
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2948
Likes: 4857 posts
Liked in: 1658 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 10:38 am

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby GordonH » Dec 22nd, 2017, 10:08 pm

So were exactly is money coming from to pay for this, if it were to happen in Canada.
I guess next up would be cellphone is a right

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18780
Likes: 1935 posts
Liked in: 6166 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:17 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:
People survived about 25 million years without the internet.

How tho? :biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10465
Likes: 4257 posts
Liked in: 4848 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Queen K » Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:23 pm

Dizzy1 wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:
People survived about 25 million years without the internet.

How tho? :biggrin:


Encyclopedias.
Terror Twins Inc. Catsumi and QK, at your disposal. We take Bitcoin. Applications to be our accountant and lawyer presently accepted.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 50156
Likes: 10162 posts
Liked in: 10840 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:28 pm

Queen K wrote:Encyclopedias.

Ah, yes ... the encyclopedia ...

Image

:biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10465
Likes: 4257 posts
Liked in: 4848 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Verum » Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:31 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:Yes we all agree internet banking is convenient. It is not a need.

People survived about 25 million years without the internet. Get over yourselves. We do not need an even more over reaching liberal mess than we are already in

I don't know which humans you are talking about, but modern humans evolved only about 200,000 years ago. This is something I found out by looking up the Internet, a really useful source of information, even trivial information. Of that time we survived about 200,000 years without electricity, sanitation, formal education, modern medicine, etc. We basically treat many things which were up until relatively recently luxuries as if they are necessities. There are certain luxuries, such as a minimum standard of education, which are seen as essential to partake in society. The requirements are getting larger, with educational requirements getting more and more important, and I suspect that we are already at the point where to partake in society, especially as a young person, you need to have Internet access. It is particularly important for education itself, as students without Internet access at home are significantly disadvantaged. Those same kids will grow up in a World where life without the Internet will be as challenging as life without electricity would be seen today. We need to be prepared for that society, not pretending that the Internet is a fad, for sharing memes or pictures of cats, but rather a tool crucial for modern living.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

Dizzy1 likes this post.
Verum
Board Meister
 
Posts: 693
Likes: 329 posts
Liked in: 528 posts
Joined: Oct 5th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Re: UK to make internet a,right

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:33 pm

Verum wrote:I don't know which humans you are talking about, but modern humans evolved only about 200,000 years ago. This is something I found out by looking up the Internet, a really useful source of information, even trivial information. Of that time we survived about 200,000 years without electricity, sanitation, formal education, modern medicine, etc. We basically treat many things which were up until relatively recently luxuries as if they are necessities. There are certain luxuries, such as a minimum standard of education, which are seen as essential to partake in society. The requirements are getting larger, with educational requirements getting more and more important, and I suspect that we are already at the point where to partake in society, especially as a young person, you need to have Internet access. It is particularly important for education itself, as students without Internet access at home are significantly disadvantaged. Those same kids will grow up in a World where life without the Internet will be as challenging as life without electricity would be seen today. We need to be prepared for that society, not pretending that the Internet is a fad, for sharing memes or pictures of cats, but rather a tool crucial for modern living.

Take that Encyclopedia Britannica :biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10465
Likes: 4257 posts
Liked in: 4848 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Next

Return to Computers, Science, Technology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest