Driverless legislation pushed

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Driverless legislation pushed

Post by CapitalB »

GordonH wrote:Automation will slowly take us to that world we seen as kids on Star Trek (not out in space), here planet earth. Were money is not used (be it in form of cash, debit or credit cards).
As more & more jobs are replaced by machines...... more & more people will no longer have money.

At the very least the necessities of human life should be free. Food, housing, water, clothing, etc should just be provided for everyone. Then since people always want more from life they can do whatever they can to get better stuff.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

GordonH wrote:Automation will slowly take us to that world we seen as kids on Star Trek (not out in space), here planet earth. Were money is not used (be it in form of cash, debit or credit cards).
As more & more jobs are replaced by machines...... more & more people will no longer have money.

Here's a dystopian view of what is probably more likely. Cash is a stand in we use for trading resources and without our labour resource to sell, those with other resources will have no need for us. Essentially, they will be in a position to trade with those with resources and when we run out of ours, for most of us, this is our money, they will have no further need for us. At that point we will be obsolete, broke and dying. Those with the resources will reap the benefit of extremely cheap and productive labour, limited real competition for resources and no reason beyond altruism to consider the rest of us. Unless we have a system to replace our current capitalist society, our future looks somewhat bleak.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

CapitalB wrote:At the very least the necessities of human life should be free. Food, housing, water, clothing, etc should just be provided for everyone. Then since people always want more from life they can do whatever they can to get better stuff.

Too many wouldn't bother doing anything. So do you want to be part of the 10% that work to feed the 90% that do f :swear: all?

Once the Robots start building Robots all on their own the Human race will be history. The AI won't need us anymore.
Last edited by ferri on Jan 31st, 2018, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Bsuds wrote:
Too many wouldn't bother doing anything. So do you want to be part of the 10% that work to feed the 90% that do f :swear: all?

Once the Robots start building Robots all on their own the Human race will be history. The AI won't need us anymore.

I though we were talking about automation? In that case robots would be doing most of the 'work'. This would leave humans free to do whatever. Grow yourself in some way, learn a thing, make stuff whatever. Or not, that would also be a choice, why should it matter if someone wants to waste their life?
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

CapitalB wrote: robots would be doing most of the 'work'. This would leave humans free to do whatever.

With what ?
last time I checked people still required money to do stuff, whatever.

Where would it magically appear from ?

You think the one person that has control over the autonomous is just going to shower it down ?
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

dirtybiker wrote:
CapitalB wrote: robots would be doing most of the 'work'. This would leave humans free to do whatever.

With what ?
last time I checked people still required money to do stuff, whatever.

Where would it magically appear from ?

You think the one person that has control over the autonomous is just going to shower it down ?

Thats why we start a dialogue to figure out how to deal with pending issues.

For obvious reasons we can't force technology to go backwards to we just have to accept automation as a thing thats going to be happening over the next few decades. How do we deal with the reduced 'jobs' from that eventuality?

There are a number of options for that. From negative income taxes to wealth redistribution in the form of basic income, with the general idea being kind of a robin hood rip off.

Whether you think thats good or bad is pretty irrelevant if you follow automation on our current system to its inevitable conclusions. Those being where companies employ significantly fewer people while we continue demanding everyone find a 'job' regardless of the lack of. We can assume new jobs to spontaneously come into existence, which absolutely could happen. But will it happen at pace with the losses? Do we create some kind of make work labour for food and housing program? Seems like something Stalin would enact, but maybe.

What do you think?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I think I best just give my offspring the best chance I can to be the master of the
automatrons with what little time I have left.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

dirtybiker wrote:I think I best just give my offspring the best chance I can to be the master of the
automatrons with what little time I have left.

How do you plan to do that?
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

We have a critically severe shortage of truck drivers in North America. With the recent introduction of e-logs in the US, the problem has become even worse. Driverless trucks need to happen - the sooner the better for everyone.

The way most companies envision driverless truck systems being used is that drivers will be used within city limits to complete pickups. At that point the driver takes the trailer to a depot on the city limits where the truck is swapped out for a driverless version (or the driver hops out and the truck takes over). The driverless truck then drives until it reaches a depot at the destination city. A human driver then again takes over for the in-city deliveries.

At the very least, this is how many companies are envisioning the first steps of this technology.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

I see a lot of deer or other wildlife plastered across the highway in the near future.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

MCB wrote:I see a lot of deer or other wildlife plastered across the highway in the near future.

How so?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Implementation is required to advance it's capabilities.
After each collision, upgrading software is then done.
gradually making the system safer.

Are we willing to let robots start killing and work to help
them start killing less ?

www.cbc.ca/news/business/autonomous-tru ... -1.4403057
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

dirtybiker wrote:Implementation is required to advance it's capabilities.
After each collision, upgrading software is then done.
gradually making the system safer.

Are we willing to let robots start killing and work to help
them start killing less ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/autonom ... -1.4403057

They already kill less people than people drivers do.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

CapitalB wrote:

Stands to reason, with over One Million Commercial Class
vehicles registered in Canada with human drivers.

And how many Autonomous ?
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

dirtybiker wrote:
CapitalB wrote:

Stands to reason, with over One Million Commercial Class
vehicles registered in Canada with human drivers.

And how many Autonomous ?

Per mile driven, autonomous vehicles have so far been safer and killed or injured fewer people than typical human drivers and they are only going to get better.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”