Android Boxes

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Android Boxes

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Well if we're going to download stuff, put me down for an Aston Martin DB11. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
budsy47

Post by budsy47 »

Well there is more than just using an Android box and Kodi...there alternative ways....lets just say a dedicated Android system box and an IPTV solution which there are many or an Android box running a IPTV solution. As an example: Setvnow.com for one as there are many. I have been personally tried this out and it works pretty well...most networks and movies are there and even some PPV events (mostly UFC),,,it has an on demand area similar to netflix and a section for TV shows (ex...America's got talent...which the latest episode is posted later that day or the next). You can get a dedicated box from them(approx 120) and then 20 per month or have your own box and pay 20 per month and use it on 3 different devices or tv's. Don't try to take it to a friend's as they can tell and will cut you off. UP TO YOU but at least look at it and decide for yourself.

https://www.setvnow.com/?gclid=EAIaIQob ... gLM9_D_BwE
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

gardengirl wrote:I am looking at cutting the cable. Does anyone have any feedback on android boxes?
It seems there are lots of different ones. Any recommendations?

We too have been looking at losing our cable and swapping out to an android box. We only really watch tv in the winter and just some sports and news the rest of the year. I have been asking around and one of the techs at Best Buy suggested the MyGica http://www.mygica.tv/smart-tv-boxes.php?model=ATV-1900AC. I asked him if it was easy to use and he said yes (my hubby is older and does not have the patience to dick around trying to figure out where everything is), and that it would be easy for him to access. It is pricey at 189.99 for each box (we would need 2 for each tv per what I understood). So for the price of a month and half or so of cable, it might be worth it. Just have to upgrade our internet from Telus15 (which we very rarely use any of).

Hope this helps.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

prairieflower wrote:
gardengirl wrote:I am looking at cutting the cable. Does anyone have any feedback on android boxes?
It seems there are lots of different ones. Any recommendations?

We too have been looking at losing our cable and swapping out to an android box. We only really watch tv in the winter and just some sports and news the rest of the year. I have been asking around and one of the techs at Best Buy suggested the MyGica http://www.mygica.tv/smart-tv-boxes.php?model=ATV-1900AC. I asked him if it was easy to use and he said yes (my hubby is older and does not have the patience to dick around trying to figure out where everything is), and that it would be easy for him to access. It is pricey at 189.99 for each box (we would need 2 for each tv per what I understood). So for the price of a month and half or so of cable, it might be worth it. Just have to upgrade our internet from Telus15 (which we very rarely use any of).

Hope this helps.

You might find that the BB guy doesn't really know a lot about these kinds of devices and or your needs (I'd read the reviews here: https://www.amazon.ca/MyGica-1900ac-Str ... B013GGJFRI). Most Android boxes are very poorly supported and can be a bit fiddly to keep working as you want. I wouldn't expect the average person to be able to set one up and keep it working as the sources people tend to use can be taken down at any time and often without warning. There are a few well supported devices such as the Xiaomi Mi Box (3 or 3s available for about $100) or Nvidia Shield TV (about $250), but again, the sources used for not particularly legal content are not reliable here either. I suspect you'll need to follow a few tutorials on line to get them setup in a manner which give you a quality TV experience with the ability to watch basically whatever you want. Since the end result is almost certainly of dubious legality, I suspect you'll get very little direct support here, even when things stop working and all you want to do is get back to watching your favourite shows. I don't know any reliable way to get such support.

Only a very small number of Android boxes have TV tuners built in, but if you are cutting the cord, that probably won't matter.

By the way, I believe the two boxes I mentioned above have certain features not found in other Android boxes, such as Netflix with HD support and built in Chromecast. For my money, and because my TV is not smart (intentional decision), I have a Xiaomi Mi Box 3 hooked up to allow me to watch Youtube and other sources with voice searching from my remote, my Google Home Mini and smartphones can also be used to cast content to the TV, etc. I also use mine with Kodi so I can watch my DVD collection which is stored on my PC, and to stream a few legal channels, including a few by VPN, but beyond that, I really can't help.

One last thing, if you are planning to try out Kodi, you don't need an Android box to do so. It runs on laptops, PCs, cellphones, tablets and even the Xbox One. You should be able to get a feel for how it works before jumping into getting a box of tricks which may or may not meet your needs.
DarkMagna

Post by DarkMagna »

Verum wrote:One last thing, if you are planning to try out Kodi, you don't need an Android box to do so. It runs on laptops, PCs, cellphones, tablets and even the Xbox One. You should be able to get a feel for how it works before jumping into getting a box of tricks which may or may not meet your needs.

Good advise.
That's what I did before I cut the cord. I installed Kodi on my laptop, which then required streaming to my TV (or direct HDMI) connection, but it also required ARC to be able to use my surround sound.
I mucked about with configuration and testing for quite some time before cutting cable. But as I'd said in an earlier reply, streaming via kodi (or other similar software), this isn't for everyone.

It's simply not as simple or convenient as cable. If one thinks they can turn on your TV and start watching something (ala cable), you're sure to be disappointed. It takes some effort to setup and will take some maintenance and management. Even once it all works, it still takes a little effort and time to simply start watching a program.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

if you have an android phone you don't need an android box. And a google chromecast will suffice to stream to your tv.
also one program i've found that i prefer over kodi is Terrarium tv. much much faster and to the point. kodi is endless waiting half the time. check it out
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

vinnied wrote:if you have an android phone you don't need an android box. And a google chromecast will suffice to stream to your tv.
also one program i've found that i prefer over kodi is Terrarium tv. much much faster and to the point. kodi is endless waiting half the time. check it out

Have you noted the reviews for that android app? The majority seem to view it as a virus. :200:
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Old Techie wrote:
Have you noted the reviews for that android app? The majority seem to view it as a virus. :200:

not sure where your finding those reviews. Can you post a link? Ive been running it for awhile now both on my box and my s6 with absolutely no issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TerrariumTV/co ... _positive/
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

vinnied wrote:
Old Techie wrote:

not sure where your finding those reviews. Can you post a link? Ive been running it for awhile now both on my box and my s6 with absolutely no issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TerrariumTV/co ... _positive/

You mentioned an android phone was sufficient, as a result I went into Google Play Store and looked up the Terrarium TV app.

If you click on the app and read the reviews posted, there are more negative ones than positive ones with an overall rating of under 2.6 stars which is terrible and cause for concern.

Several of them state that once they installed it they could not remove the app from their device.

That alone was enough to compel me to move on.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

There is a very good chance that using Terrarium TV is illegal, and while Kodi can be used for illegal activity, to do so requires the user to install additional software. I would be very careful advocating for the use of TerrariumTV on a public forum, no matter how useful you personally find it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

We tried them and didn’t like them. We picked up a slim PC and have it hooked up to our TV and audio.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Verum wrote:There is a very good chance that using Terrarium TV is illegal, and while Kodi can be used for illegal activity, to do so requires the user to install additional software. I would be very careful advocating for the use of TerrariumTV on a public forum, no matter how useful you personally find it.

People everywhere are just looking to save money here & their, cable & satellite companies are charging ever increasing amounts for there services (I'm Shaw cable user myself & price is insane, of course I'm an insane sports fan). Torrents are being used by large part of the internet crowd, they are illegal.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Old Techie wrote:
You mentioned an android phone was sufficient, as a result I went into Google Play Store and looked up the Terrarium TV app.

If you click on the app and read the reviews posted, there are more negative ones than positive ones with an overall rating of under 2.6 stars which is terrible and cause for concern.

Several of them state that once they installed it they could not remove the app from their device.

That alone was enough to compel me to move on.

Sorry, My bad. I was not aware it was even in the playstore. those are not the original app. careful of anything from the playstore.there are lots of fishy apps there, dont know why google doesn't pick up its game a bit on the viruses
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Verum wrote:There is a very good chance that using Terrarium TV is illegal, and while Kodi can be used for illegal activity, to do so requires the user to install additional software. I would be very careful advocating for the use of TerrariumTV on a public forum, no matter how useful you personally find it.

Im only suggesting it as an alternative to kodi. which is basically useless without the additional software you talk about. I have provided no links to do so. if anyone is interested they will find it
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

GordonH wrote:

People everywhere are just looking to save money here & their, cable & satellite companies are charging ever increasing amounts for there services (I'm Shaw cable user myself & price is insane, of course I'm an insane sports fan). Torrents are being used by large part of the internet crowd, they are illegal.

I'm well aware, and I am passing no judgement whatsoever. I actually believe that it is high time that the cable companies and others realised that many people use illegal mechanisms to access content partially due to the cost and partially due to the ease. I have absolutely no doubt that I could set up a system to allow me and my family basically watch what we want, when we want, without ads, with the freedom to pause and resume as we choose, etc. It might be illegal, but it would be a far better viewing experience than the current mess. They are failing the viewing public.

But openly instructing others on how they can engage in this kind of illegal activity, on a public forum, is risky and honestly, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked and deleted by a zealous moderator.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”