Let There Be Light

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.

Let There Be Light

Postby Bigjohn69 » Feb 28th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Astronomers have detected a signal from the first stars as they appeared and illuminated the universe, in observations that have been hailed as “revolutionary”.

The faint radio signals suggest the universe was lifted out of total darkness 180m years after the big bang in a momentous transition known as the cosmic dawn.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... e-universe

Now we know when the words let there be light took place

Jlabute likes this post.
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Liked in: 135 posts

Re: Let There Be Light

Postby Jlabute » Feb 28th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Good article.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/02/signal-of-the-universes-first-stars-hints-at-odd-form-of-dark-matter/

Somewhat of a co-article commentary suggesting more data would be necessary to raise the confidence level. Can't imagine how much of a difference there can be between extremely probable, and fully confident.
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.

Bigjohn69 likes this post.
Jlabute
Übergod

Liked in: 942 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Mar 10th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Sometime in the next 5 years the KIC9832227 system, a contact binary will go red nova,
adding a new star to our sky in the constellation Cygnus. When that thing goes off, there will be light for bloody miles.
Some would view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them...That should just about cover why some nations are laughing at how soft and weak we have become.

Jlabute likes this post.
oldtrucker
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 453 posts

Postby JagXKR » Mar 13th, 2018, 9:54 am

I am very much anticipating this merger. When Larry Molnar, and team, made this prediction last year I was a bit skeptical but after reading their paper I was excited. I agree with their hypothesis and will be ready for the day, if I'm still around.

http://earthsky.org/space/star-predicte ... de-in-2022
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 857 posts

Postby Jlabute » Mar 13th, 2018, 1:47 pm

That’ll be exciting. Get your telescope ready. I suppose it already has Nova’d, you just have to get closer to see it ;-) it will be as bright as Polaris?

“The system is predicted to result in a merger in 2022.2±0.6, producing a luminous red nova reaching an apparent magnitude 2. The luminous red nova should remain visible to the naked eye for roughly a month.”
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.
Jlabute
Übergod

Liked in: 942 posts

Postby JagXKR » Mar 14th, 2018, 9:53 pm

It will be closest to the star Rukh in Cygnus. That star is a similar magnitude to the predicted magnitude of the nova. However the nova will be much more red. The human eye sees the blue light differently than red and if both stars were exactly the same brightness the human eye would see the nova as slightly dimmer. The good news is if the nova reaches +2 magnitude it will be slightly brighter than Rukh and very easily seen. Even in the city. Rukh is the right hand star of the cross.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 857 posts

Return to Computers, Science, Technology