What happens to your digital bitcoins if you die?

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
coffeeFreak
Guru

What happens to your digital bitcoins if you die?

Post by coffeeFreak »

Been looking into this whole cryptocurrency thing and am wondering about what happens if a person dies. Here is one article, but must look into it further.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-happens-to-your-digital-bitcoins-if-you-die/
Jlabute
Guru

Re: What happens to your digital bitcoins if you die?

Post by Jlabute »

I suppose unexpected deaths are harder to plan around since you may not have the opportunity to pass on any keys or usernames or passwords or what-ever you need to access online trading, or your secure wallet, etc. Plan and have a will I suppose? Is it possible there will be some bitcoins that'll get stuck, untraded forever?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Yurii S.

Post by Yurii S. »

Maybe you can write a covenant, so that after the death of the bitcoins passed to someone)))
honkonbobo
Fledgling

Post by honkonbobo »

As long as the executor of your will is aware you have bitcoin, then it can be passed on with other assets. Buying and selling bitcoin is a complicated process in Canada so you may want to have a conversation or leave instruction with your will.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

honkonbobo wrote:you may want to have a conversation or leave instruction with your will.

This. I imagine having valuables or whatever in a safety deposit box would be handled similarly. The main thing is your private key, and how you pass that info along to the right people only.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”