Will this Graphics Card work with this pc

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
GAMEMASTER

Will this Graphics Card work with this pc

Post by GAMEMASTER »

Hey dose any of you guys know if this card will work with HP Elite 8200 Small Form Factor Desktop PC with 3.1GHz Intel Core i5 Processor, 8GB RAM, and 1TB Hard Drive and how much power it takes
Attachments
Picture of the Graphics Card
Picture of the Graphics Card
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Will this Graphics Card work with this pc

Post by TylerM4 »

It looks like it will.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp ... /c02781693
https://ca.msi.com/Graphics-card/R6450-MD1GD3LP.html

Your PC supports PCI express x16 and the card is designed for low profile expansion slots although the picture looks like a standard height. Perhaps it's just to picture, or it comes with a optional low profile backing plate. I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Power is difficult as I couldn't easily find power supply ratings for your PC, or power consumption ratings for the video card. Your PC will have a power supply on the small side, but the video card doesn't look too power hungry based on the heatsink design and lack of an additional power connector (Power is supplied by PCI buss only). My only advice here is to try it. You can upgrade the power supply if required.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Mar 15th, 2018, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

It likely will and it appears to support low profile.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GAMEMASTER

Post by GAMEMASTER »

Thanks for the response it seems found that the pc has around 240w power supply will that run this graphics card

Please let me know
Thanks
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The video card is not too power hungry and looking at around 30W, plus your CPU which is 95W, RAM, and Mobo, HD etc, you’re likely under 250W.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GAMEMASTER

Post by GAMEMASTER »

Hi everyone so just the card in the mail today and it says it requires a minimum of 400w but im wondering if that's ture or not
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Do they say how much power just the video card uses? I went by another similar model that said 30W. My guess is it’ll be fine... although you’re not left with much headroom. It there a better PSU available in the format you need? If your PC has a video card slot I would think it could be alright to use it with a small low power video card.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JnR48d/msi-video-card-r6450md1gd3lp

Add it all together I think your PSU is ok... if you bought a better video card, you’d probably be out of luck.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I think you may have gotten a card that takes too much power. This page has a chart with the "recommended" psu wattage.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Luckily the card does not require a 6 or 8 pin connector for extra power. It may work but you may experience some issues when the system is being taxed too much. The power supply is a proprietary supply and does not have the regular ATX connectors so if you were to upgrade the psu, an adapter (if it exists) would be needed as well.
If it does work but sometimes it draws too much power the Radeon software may work on the card to allow it to "throttle down". Lowering clock speed and/or memory speed. This can also reduce power consumption.

https://www.amd.com/en-us/products/grap ... 6000/6450#

https://ca.msi.com/Graphics-card/support/R6450-MD1GD3LP
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

According to the chart, as you noticed, there are no 6 or 8 pin power connectors. The link I provided shows the R6450 card may take about 27W... which is fairly low.

So, 95W CPU, 27W GPU, 5W HD, 5W optical drive, RAM 10W, some left over for MoBo (20W is a guess), and PSU has a high efficiency, we are maybe ok.

Will the PSU be taxed? I think the recommended power in your link allows for a lot of headroom since they have no idea what CPU and other system components you have and whether or not you have a crappy $15 Chinese power supply. If you add up the numbers, maybe we’re at 162W full load, under 250W.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I kinda agree but as you may know not all psu's have the power distributed the same. Some provide more power to different areas even though they are rated the same as another. 5v supply compared to the 12v compared to the -12v for example. I hope it does work but my experience with lower wattage rated psu's does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
I do throttle my gpu down when I am just surfing. Crank it up though when I need it. I have a wall plug meter that will measure wattage for any appliance or computer and have found that I can never reach the max wattage of all the components. Hopefully this card will be ok. It will be an noticeable upgrade from the onboard Intel graphics that the system currently uses.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
GAMEMASTER

Post by GAMEMASTER »

Hi guys so found a link on one sites you showed me and it bring me to a OuterVision® Power Supply Calculator and i put most of my components in that includes my cpu Intel Core i5-2400 3100 MHz/3.1ghz 8gb of ddr3 ram my graphics card Radeon hd 6450 hard drive sata 7.2k rpm dvd Rom drive my tv which im hooking it up to around 48 to 50 inches computer utilization time is 16 hours at very most Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time is also 16 hours at the very most so far im looking at a load wattage of 181 but thats not including the other components in the computer motherboard etc so i don't know for current if i will still be okay or not
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

No doubt it’ll be close. The 250W supply will be pushed 27W harder than it is now. Is it really that bad right now?
GAMEMASTER

Post by GAMEMASTER »

I dont know yet as my computer is still coming in the mail it will be here on Monday once it comes one of my friends son is going to install it for me but have been looking and doing research to see if the computer can run the graphics card so far looks the computer is 240w and what i found that calculator site which so far was the most helpful so far what i see the computer uses around 154w without the graphics card but the graphics card uses around 27w which makes it 181w but again that dose not include the motherboard and etc as i cant calculate that only things i was able to calculate was the things in the previous post anyways im 90% sure it will work but will probably will load it up to almost to the max wattage
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

GAMEMASTER wrote:I dont know yet as my computer is still coming in the mail it will be here on Monday once it comes one of my friends son is going to install it for me but have been looking and doing research to see if the computer can run the graphics card so far looks the computer is 240w and what i found that calculator site which so far was the most helpful so far what i see the computer uses around 154w without the graphics card but the graphics card uses around 27w which makes it 181w but again that dose not include the motherboard and etc as i cant calculate that only things i was able to calculate was the things in the previous post anyways im 90% sure it will work but will probably will load it up to almost to the max wattage

MY best guess is that it'll be alright. That PC was built to handle an i7 processor which would eat another 20 Watts over the i5 anyway.

Don't let the friend's son install it. It's super easy, you can do it yourself. Pop the side panel, there's only 1 slot it'll fit in, and it's literally 1 screw to install. It's almost impossible to do it wrong. You got this bro :up:
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Well, does it work? :-)

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”