A little question about electric cars

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Jlabute
Guru

Re: A little question about electric cars

Post by Jlabute »

Omnitheo wrote:It’s funny to see on the same page of the forum people complaining about how they don’t like the idea of electric vehicles and will stick to gas.

And then another thread complaining about record gas prices. And how gas companies keep taking advantage of us here.

It's not as though many don't like the 'idea' of their ideal electric vehicle... heck, I like the (pause) 'idea' (pause) of an electric vehicle. I don't like the idea of my tax dollars subsidizing new vehicles only the rich home owners can afford so we can pretend we are helping the environment by pushing out substandard vehicles with lithium battery technology that will soon be obsoleted with little chance of retrofits. There's no benefit to the environment unless you keep your EV for more than 10 years powered from Hydro, Nuclear, or something not coal/gas/garbage. The money you spend on electricity saves you money only if you can find a used EV... that is a smart way to go... especially when battery packs are $12,000+. So, I probably dislike lithium in its current form more than the vehicle itself. If my gas vehicle had a $12,000 gas tank I'd probably hate it too, or if I had to pay $10,000 to upgrade to a slightly larger gas tank.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

obviously society has moved past that. Modern electric vehicles outperform most gas vehicles, and that’s with the technology still relatively new, let alone the culmination of 100 years of internal combustion engine technology. I don’t have a problem with people who don’t want to be early adopters. You don’t need to be. I haven’t bought a 4K tv yet, but in a few years it will be more affordable, better than anything I’ve owned before, and the expectation for most modern media formats. Electric cars are the same. 20 years from now you likely won’t be driving a gas vehicle, and you probably wouldn’t want to either.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Omnitheo wrote:obviously society has moved past that. Modern electric vehicles outperform most gas vehicles, and that’s with the technology still relatively new, let alone the culmination of 100 years of internal combustion engine technology. I don’t have a problem with people who don’t want to be early adopters. You don’t need to be. I haven’t bought a 4K tv yet, but in a few years it will be more affordable, better than anything I’ve owned before, and the expectation for most modern media formats. Electric cars are the same. 20 years from now you likely won’t be driving a gas vehicle, and you probably wouldn’t want to either.

Exactly, I won't purchase until Hydrogen stations are in place.
Vehicle I plan on purchasing will bypass the need to be charged, just filled with hydrogen.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

"Fool cells"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Wave101 wrote:"Fool cells"

Please explain
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

GordonH wrote:

Please explain

See hindenberg disaster
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Please explain

Jflem1983 wrote:See hindenberg disaster

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2 ... burgs.html
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Omnitheo wrote:Electric cars are the same. 20 years from now you likely won’t be driving a gas vehicle, and you probably wouldn’t want to either.

I'll agree with your analogy of affordability, with increased demand comes lower costs in mass production.

I'll always have my 2 strokes, gas pots and diesel burners though...well....20 yrs......we'll see...

Might be a passenger by then..... :digging: .... :D ....
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Omnitheo wrote:obviously society has moved past that. Modern electric vehicles outperform most gas vehicles, and that’s with the technology still relatively new, let alone the culmination of 100 years of internal combustion engine technology. I don’t have a problem with people who don’t want to be early adopters. You don’t need to be. I haven’t bought a 4K tv yet, but in a few years it will be more affordable, better than anything I’ve owned before, and the expectation for most modern media formats. Electric cars are the same. 20 years from now you likely won’t be driving a gas vehicle, and you probably wouldn’t want to either.

Actually, the electric car has been around for 100 years too. As well as trollies and busses, etc. The problem then, as it is now, has always been energy density and storage. Electric motors have been around even longer. I like the performance of some electric motors... I can hardly wait until the time is right.
https://www.motoring.com.au/ev-revolution-100-years-of-the-electric-car-103038/

1900-Car-Plugged-In.jpg
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

A potential issue with electric cars is the fragility of the batteries.

An accident and fatality involving a Tesla model X is under investigation. Lithium in battery chemistry is very dangerous and probably attributed to the deaths, just as much as their auto-pilot did. Tesla stock is currently tanking due to this, and their ability to deliver cars. I'd be more of a Chevy Bolt guy anyways when they are ready. Another problem with Lithium based batteries... it's tough making these things and fill orders on 10's of millions of vehicles. We can't make huge lithium batteries fast enough. Get your Tesla while you can.

Not sure if solid state lithium is the answer, although it helps with many issues such as charging speed, capacity, safety since there is no liquid electrolyte, and better longevity. Knowing the performance of existing batteries... I'd rather wait out the beginning of the bleeding edge adoption curve.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-crash-ntsb/ntsb-opens-probe-into-fatal-tesla-crash-fire-in-california-idUSKBN1H32OT
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bumped up

I have a friend who works at dealership, he has mentioned to me that many of EV owners (not all) tend to be absolute :cuss: holes towards staff.

Why is that I wonder?
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

Bumped up again.

What we knew all along, well except for ev kool-aid drinkers...

https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... ge-narrows
spooker

Post by spooker »

77TA wrote: Nov 13th, 2023, 9:32 am Bumped up again.

Why are we surprised? If people are still convinced that driving is required and a for-profit company controls the energy then those profits will be made ... also brought into the "Mandatory EV Readiness" thread too
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

spooker wrote: Nov 13th, 2023, 10:15 am
77TA wrote: Nov 13th, 2023, 9:32 am Bumped up again.

Why are we surprised? If people are still convinced that driving is required and a for-profit company controls the energy then those profits will be made ... also brought into the "Mandatory EV Readiness" thread too
"We" aren't surprised at all because driving is required for countless reasons. People that bought an ev because they "don't like paying for gas" are about to get an eye opener while people that don't mind waiting for their ev to charge because electricity is cheap are about to have time management issues...lol. Time is money after all.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

:popcorn: who’s saying this all along.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”