A little question about electric cars

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
jsonthern

A little question about electric cars

Post by jsonthern »

According to the article Fortis will foot the bill for charging up electric cars parked downtown. So...who ends up paying for the power used? You guessed it...Everyone else.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: A little question about electric cars

Post by Jflem1983 »

jsonthern wrote:According to the article Fortis will foot the bill for charging up electric cars parked downtown. So...who ends up paying for the power used? You guessed it...Everyone else.

Ya lets subsidize Tesla owners some more. Those folks are struggling
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yup, they may even put in a solar array with battery packs so we can all pay four times the going rate. You can always expect green government to waste too much for too little. Green taxation slows the economy, and therefore slows research in to better energy technologies. Better sources of power are naturally adopted when they are discovered. Over hundreds of years we've moved from hay/poop, to wood, to coal, to gas, to hydro, to nuclear, it keeps getting cleaner with more energy density on it's own without legislation and taxation. Indebted governments are always open to new taxes.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Just another reason I like the idea and use of Fuel-cell vehicles over battery EV vehicles, no charging needed. Hydrogen engine powers the electric motor & the exhaust is harmless water vapours.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Snowbound

Post by Snowbound »

GordonH wrote:Just another reason I like the idea and use of Fuel-cell vehicles over battery EV vehicles, no charging needed. Hydrogen engine powers the electric motor & the exhaust is harmless water vapours.

You don't hear too much on fuel cell tech these days. I also think it is the way to go. Mining of lithium for batteries is just as dirty as any other form of energy. Plus the fact you can only drive 150-300 km/charge depending on the EV chosen (and this is when the batteries are NEW - we all have devices that battery life is a shadow of what was new).

Then you come home after work and plug the thing in - during peak power usage hours - and pay a premium for that. God forbid it bumps you into the 2nd tier of Fortis' rate system.
Pkunko
Fledgling

Post by Pkunko »

jsonthern wrote:According to the article Fortis will foot the bill for charging up electric cars parked downtown. So...who ends up paying for the power used? You guessed it...Everyone else.

What article are you referring to?
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

What's going to happen with the mountains of worn out batteries? How are electric cars going to keep passengers warm inside in the dead of winter without draining a the batteries?
Snowbound

Post by Snowbound »

Mark5 wrote:What's going to happen with the mountains of worn out batteries? How are electric cars going to keep passengers warm inside in the dead of winter without draining a the batteries?

The Green movement doesn't want to discuss this. I think most of the metal is recyclable in a battery, but the initial mining if the materials is every bit as ugly as an open pit Oilsands mine. And lithium mines don't get reclaimed back to original state in most parts of the world. Not to mention the huge amount of carbon based energy required to mine it, process it, transport it, etc.

Greenies need to look at the big picture.

If they can make a hydrogen fuel cell that won't blow up like the Hindenburg, I'll be in line to buy one.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

jsonthern wrote: So...who ends up paying for the power used? You guessed it...Everyone else.

I'd rather focus on the positive instead of being a grouchy penny-pinching negative Nancy.

Electric cars are awesome. We need more infrastructure for them.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Even Steven wrote:
jsonthern wrote: So...who ends up paying for the power used? You guessed it...Everyone else.

I'd rather focus on the positive instead of being a grouchy penny-pinching negative Nancy.

Electric cars are awesome. We need more infrastructure for them.

Open your wallet
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Even Steven wrote:We need more infrastructure for them.

Sound great, may construction of Hydrogen station start anytime now (up & down the valley as well throughout BC)

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/ ... s-Inc.html

Who needs all those batteries & having to charge the vehicle, go with fuel-cell vehicles & bypass that.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
deedub
Fledgling

Post by deedub »

I see they get some nice ground level charge stations at the Hospital parkade too .
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Snowbound wrote:
GordonH wrote:Just another reason I like the idea and use of Fuel-cell vehicles over battery EV vehicles, no charging needed. Hydrogen engine powers the electric motor & the exhaust is harmless water vapours.

You don't hear too much on fuel cell tech these days. I also think it is the way to go.

The only company I am aware of working on this technology is the Nikola Company, who make heavy trucks. ( not related to Tesla )
https://nikolamotor.com/
We were talking about trying one on the iceroads this year, but it never happened.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Snowbound wrote:You don't hear too much on fuel cell tech these days. I also think it is the way to go.

stuphoto wrote:The only company I am aware of working on this technology is the Nikola Company, who make heavy trucks. ( not related to Tesla )
https://nikolamotor.com/
We were talking about trying one on the iceroads this year, but it never happened.

Hyundai has production vehicle
http://www.hyundaihydrogen.ca
Toyota
https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/safety- ... cell-mirai

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”