Telus Boost system

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Telus Boost system

Post by Bsuds »

Anyone on here using the Telus Boost mesh WiFi?

Would you recommend it?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Telus Boost system

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I do not have it but do note that it boosts your monthly bill, something I'm not a fan of.

I obviously don't know your situation, but where I live the router is far enough away from one end of the house that the signal does get somewhat weak downstairs. As I had access enough to pull a CAT5 cable I simply plugged it into the main router and ran the cable through the ceiling to the far end where the signal was weak and placed a second dual band router that I had anyway in that location. This requires some router configuration on the second one as it is simply acting as a repeater.

No extra fee to pay and I have a good strong signal everywhere now, not to mention extra LAN ports downstairs which allowed me to connect a smart TV and Bluray player.

If you can't run a wire then my post is moot.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

I have it, it's actually a pretty cheap mesh system. I paid $100 upfront, no monthly cost. If you can run a wire between them, it's awesome, but even if you can't it definitely increases the range of the wifi.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I am just looking at different possibilities. I have a second router hard wired to the Telus modem but not as a repeater. I'm not 100% sure how to set that up and apprehensive to try.

I have a lot of Smart devices that are connected to only the Telus 2.4.

I do have the occasional issue and was thinking a mesh might work better so was just curious.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:I am just looking at different possibilities. I have a second router hard wired to the Telus modem but not as a repeater. I'm not 100% sure how to set that up and apprehensive to try.

I have a lot of Smart devices that are connected to only the Telus 2.4.

I do have the occasional issue and was thinking a mesh might work better so was just curious.

Just in case you find it useful this is the instructions I followed when I set up the second router as a repeater.

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/Configur ... aming.aspx
DarkMagna

Post by DarkMagna »

A $40 wi-fi extender is a quick, simple answer too.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

DarkMagna wrote:A $40 wi-fi extender is a quick, simple answer too.

It also cuts the speed in half. Not sure if a mesh does as well.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds I'm not sure I understand your setup as you indicate having a second router connected to the Telus modem.

The units they use these days are modem/router/WIFI broadcaster all in one, so if you've added a second router to the mix without configuring it as a repeater, you would have two routers assigning IP addresses which is asking for trouble and would cause issues.

What I did does not cut my signal in half, in fact I've tested on numerous occasions and get over 170Mbps both upload and download both locations.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I decided to try the Telus boost and just returned it to them.

I thought it would use the same SSID and Password as my modem but it required a different one than what I was using.

I had no intention of re-configuring 20+ Smart devices to the new WiFi.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:I decided to try the Telus boost and just returned it to them.

I thought it would use the same SSID and Password as my modem but it required a different one than what I was using.

I had no intention of re-configuring 20+ Smart devices to the new WiFi.

I'd return it too. The whole point is to have one SSID that broadcasts a seamless strong signal allowing our devices to function no matter where we are at home.

So far I've read nothing but good things about this unit.......... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015PRCBBI/?co ... _lig_dp_it
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

About a week ago, Telus called 'out of the blue', asking if we'd been experiencing slow periods in our internet. We do... sometimes when watching Netflix or Prime Video, the program will freeze with the revolving arrow for a minute or longer, while the stream 'catches up'... We're paying for 75 MBPS -- it usually runs at 30 MBPS or slower, and occasionally falls to 10 MBPS or slower. Occasionally the upload speed is faster than the download speed.

They offered to send the boost hardware for free with no increase in monthly rates. It arrived Friday, but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I'm hoping it works...
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It's not going to speed up your service but it should help in areas of your house that have a poor signal.

Keep an eye on your bill because I'm Leary that it's "Free". They were going to charge me a $5 monthly increase for 2 years.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Bsuds wrote:It's not going to speed up your service but it should help in areas of your house that have a poor signal.

Keep an eye on your bill because I'm Leary that it's "Free". They were going to charge me a $5 monthly increase for 2 years.

If the WiFi signal is weak it will indeed slow the transfer speed down, and manifest itself by way of program interruptions.

Before I installed the repeater, the speed if measured by the main router was around 175Mbps, and when I tested in my downstairs TV viewing area it dropped to around 65Mbps.

Now that I installed the repeater, my signal is strong, but better yet my speed is the same as upstairs so I'm getting 175Mbps in my TV watching area downstairs as well as a strong WiFi signal. I never get the little spinning circle or have my Netflix viewing interrupted due to lack of speed.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”